Garry Monk ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree. Had the top scorer and the best centre back in the league 2

I like him.

When he's on the sideline he gives the impression of someone thinking very deeply about how to overcome the opposition with variations in tactics and strategy . . . even if he isn't.

I like him, and would want him here. But I don't think he's good enough to warrant a meltdown if he goes somewhere else and I don't think he's immune to the same criticism other prospects are getting.

Heard from my source in South London he's Palace's' top target. Gazza Monkster back in the premy lad :cool:

Got to admit, I don't see the attraction from a football point. He speaks well and comes across as a decent bloke but, are his credentials any better than McIness?

Don't really see the attraction either but then I see people linking us with the likes of Phillips, Schwarz, Ball and O'Shea - almost purely down to the the Sunderland link and shithouses like Giggs and Pardew...Garry Monk then starts to seem like a prefered prospect.

Last edited:
...... why?

A fair amount of people see him as the answer but I just can't see the attraction tbh.

He's only managed for a total of 3 years.

He inherited a Swansea side Laudrup had got into Europe but only avoided relegation in the last week.

Despite having players around him, he was familiar with, he had a run of 1 win in a dozen games and was then sacked.

At Leeds he managed to lose an FA Cup tie against Sutton United and blew the play off's with a terrible run in the last critical 8 games.

So, why are some people so keen?

Agreed. He's done nothing. Struggled at Swansea. Bottled it at Leeds. This job is too big for him.

I don't think you can quote final league positions as a genuine reference for how people felt during and and about the season as a whole.

15th and never really flirting with relagation, versus a 15th where they genuinely shat themselves and ended up there after the last two games. Two different perceptions, same league position. Again, that's football. And that's the impression I had about monk at the time :that he was doing a decent job and was sacked a little hastily, because maybe Swansea got a bit above their station and thought they deserved better. They subsequently declined, as was proved by this season in particular.

The decline had already set in whilst Monk was there though. Had he stayed, they'd have likely gone down. He was struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back