Garn out for Christmas dinner

Exactly.
I do ours and wouldn't have it any other way. Mind, I'm a chef by trade, so it's a piece of piss to do. No mess, no hassle.....would I shite fork out £70 a head for a Sunday dinner.
Top tip. As well as pigs in blankets, do some where you substitute the sausage for sage n onion stuffing. Lush.

did those last year with a Cranberry and Port stuffing they were unreal i made about 80 of the fuckers though so were making sandwiches out of them 3 days later

Only been out for Christmas dinner once or twice - the missus (no) suggests we should go out most years (I don't know why - it's me that does most of the prep and cooking). It just isn't the same as having it at home (and the prices are getting totally ridiculous). You can't get bread sauce and chestnut stuffing the way I make it - we eat when it's ready, drink what you want, wear what you want, no one is bothered if you sit around farting afterwards. You can't go into the kitchen of a pub or hotel and pull bits off the carcase when everyone else is dozing in front of the telly, etc.

toyed with the idea every year and apart from going to a friends house for dinner twice in the last 6 years always end up doing it at home, because

A) im a class cook and cant imagine paying £50+ a head for something i can do at home

B) i wont be allowed 20+ pigs in blankets in a pub/restaraunt

C) you never get enough meat..we always do 3 joints...

D) i want to be able to sit and eat my dinner in whatever ridiculous T-shirt i have acquired from ASDA george that year, if u go out u feel the need to dress up

E) some fucker has to drive

F) i want to be able to crawl to the couch after all that bait

G) FUCK OFF

That is how I feel, though I have nowt against people who do want to eat out. I love Christmas dinner, planning and especially making the desserts in advance, where I always do a few different options. I love waking up on Christmas morning with the ham smells drifting up the stairs from the slow cooker. The turkey already in the oven on a timer, waiting to go on, and usually have all the veg prepared. Do all the Christmas present things with the kids, have a fairly relaxed morning where there are a few key times when things need turning on, but generally it is quiet until about 11:30.

The in-laws come round, we have a big family meal, if the kids want to get down between courses (we dropped starters a couple of years ago anyway), then they can - they are desperate to play with their new toys. I have a swallowing problem and often have to eat really slowly or have a rest, there is no time pressure on me. The in-laws wash up, then we get all the leftovers for a few days or freeze some. After dinner, we often play a few games with the adults while other adults play with the kids.

Generally we keep it pretty relaxed and I really enjoy it. I would not fancy anything more formal when out, depending on the availability of waiting staff if you want another drink etc. The neighbours go to a local hotel each year and love it. Each to their own.

did those last year with a Cranberry and Port stuffing they were unreal i made about 80 of the fuckers though so were making sandwiches out of them 3 days later
Hmm, tempting.

I make a Cranberry and Chestnut stuffing (recipe on BBC), which is fantastic. About 3 more weeks will be ideal chestnut time. We go for a walk in the woods with the dog, collect a couple of big bags, make the stuffing then freeze it until Christmas. It feels like Christmas planning has really started when we do our chestnut walk. I usually do the Christmas puddings about this time of year too.

Last edited:
That is how I feel, though I have nowt against people who do want to eat out. I love Christmas dinner, planning and especially making the desserts in advance, where I always do a few different options. I love waking up on Christmas morning with the ham smells drifting up the stairs from the slow cooker. The turkey already in the oven on a timer, waiting to go on, and usually have all the veg prepared. Do all the Christmas present things with the kids, have a fairly relaxed morning where there are a few key times when things need turning on, but generally it is quiet until about 11:30.

The in-laws come round, we have a big family meal, if the kids want to get down between courses (we dropped starters a couple of years ago anyway), then they can - they are desperate to play with their new toys. I have a swallowing problem and often have to eat really slowly or have a rest, there is no time pressure on me. The in-laws wash up, then we get all the leftovers for a few days or freeze some. After dinner, we often play a few games with the adults while other adults play with the kids.

Generally we keep it pretty relaxed and I really enjoy it. I would not fancy anything more formal when out, depending on the availability of waiting staff if you want another drink etc. The neighbours go to a local hotel each year and love it. Each to their own.

i fucked up my Ferraro rocher cheesecake 2 year back by using garlic cream cheese....it was surprisingly f***ing dreadful

Hmm, tempting.

I make a Cranberry and Chestnut stuffing (recipe on BBC), which is fantastic. About 3 more weeks will be ideal chestnut time. We go for a walk in the woods with the dog, collect a couple of big bags, make the stuffing then freeze it until Christmas. It feels like Christmas planning has really started when we do our chestnut walk. I usually do the Christmas puddings about this time of year too.

thats the same one i use i think..it soak the cranberries in port for 24 hours...i wrap mine in streaky bacon though

Last edited:

Back