BBC Gareth McAuley doubts wisdom of Kyle Lafferty's Sunderland move

RTG

Robot
Staff member
From BBC Sport.

Former Northern Ireland defender Gareth McAuley expresses doubts over the wisdom of Kyle Lafferty's move to Sunderland until the end of the season.

more...

From BBC Sport.

Former Northern Ireland defender Gareth McAuley expresses doubts over the wisdom of Kyle Lafferty's move to Sunderland until the end of the season.

more...
Who the heck does he think he is to offer his thoughts on this? And to feel the need to make those thoughts public!

Who the heck does he think he is to offer his thoughts on this?
Eh?
He's in the same profession and has played with him. Confirming what others have said about his attitude. I think he's qualified to comment.
"Having spent a year in the dressing room with Kyle he can rub people up the wrong way”

:lol: he must be a right arse if his team mate is saying that publicly.
Swapping one bad apple for another?

Last edited:
"Having spent a year in the dressing room with Kyle he can rub people up the wrong way”

:lol: he must be a right arse if his team mate is saying that publicly.
McAuley sounds like a right arse for going public like this about an international teammate. What has he gained from doing so? A few quid from the reporter?

McAuley sounds like a right arse for going public like this about an international teammate. What has he gained from doing so? A few quid from the reporter?
Would imagine he would have been interviewed and was asked along with other questions on other things. Do you think he rang up a reporter and said 'I want to tell the world my thoughts on Lafferty?'

It would be pretty boring if everybody said no comment to everything.

McAuley sounds as if he and Lafferty didn't see eye to eye to say the least. McAuley is rather damming about how Lafferty " .. is around training, how he applies himself and does things." He's basically saying that Lafferty spells trouble for any manger.

I don't know how much truth there is in any of McAuley's comments but he clearly has some issue with Lafferty and has gone to some bother to put the boot in. WHy should he care if Lafferty is joining a League One club until the end of the season? It's hardly big news in the world of football.

McAuley sounds as if he and Lafferty didn't see eye to eye to say the least. McAuley is rather damming about how Lafferty " .. is around training, how he applies himself and does things." He's basically saying that Lafferty spells trouble for any manger.

I don't know how much truth there is in any of McAuley's comments but he clearly has some issue with Lafferty and has gone to some bother to put the boot in. WHy should he care if Lafferty is joining a League One club until the end of the season? It's hardly big news in the world of football.
From the Palermo chairman:

“He is an out-of-control womaniser, an Irishman without rules. He is someone who disappears for a week and goes on the hunt for women in Milan.

“He has two families with six children, he never trains, he’s completely off the rails. On the field he’s a great player, because he gave us everything he had and more.

“In terms of his behaviour, however, he is uncontrollable. My coach told me he cannot sort this player out, so he has to go.”

McAuley won’t have been called up just to talk about Lafferty, it’s just a quick line as part of something bigger surely - his answer seems off the cuff. He’s had a long career and by all accounts is a respected ex captain and leader. Lafferty on the other hand has fucked people off everywhere he’s gone. What’s been said is nothing new. The manager should know the risks and be prepared to deal with this fast if it’s not working out.

He's not the only one who says Lafferty is a cancerous twat to have in any club. In fact, nobody has a good word for him.!!!!!!
McAuley won’t have been called up just to talk about Lafferty, it’s just a quick line as part of something bigger surely - his answer seems off the cuff. He’s had a long career and by all accounts is a respected ex captain and leader. Lafferty on the other hand has fucked people off everywhere he’s gone. What’s been said is nothing new. The manager should know the risks and be prepared to deal with this fast if it’s not working out.
He sorted McGeady pdq.

From the Palermo chairman:

“He is an out-of-control womaniser, an Irishman without rules. He is someone who disappears for a week and goes on the hunt for women in Milan.

“He has two families with six children, he never trains, he’s completely off the rails. On the field he’s a great player, because he gave us everything he had and more.

“In terms of his behaviour, however, he is uncontrollable. My coach told me he cannot sort this player out, so he has to go.”

Some endorsement that like 🤣🤣

Would imagine he would have been interviewed and was asked along with other questions on other things. Do you think he rang up a reporter and said 'I want to tell the world my thoughts on Lafferty?'

It would be pretty boring if everybody said no comment to everything.
He writes a column for the Belfast Telegraph. It was in that.

The Lafferty move has split me.

Is he a better quality player than what we have ( Without doubt in my opinion a championship player)

But I would trust experienced pros like McCauley and Palermo

Do you want a disruptive force in the dressing room if he delivers on the pitch?

Back