BBC Gareth McAuley doubts wisdom of Kyle Lafferty's Sunderland move

"Having spent a year in the dressing room with Kyle he can rub people up the wrong way”

:lol: he must be a right arse if his team mate is saying that publicly.
I guess Parky has weighed up his goals will offset his off field personality. a gamble
Do the bare minimum get rid. That's management 101 before the rest are affected seeing you letting him get away with it.
if he scores goals the squad will understand it's worth the hassle. If he doesn't then.... it's a failed gamble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would imagine he would have been interviewed and was asked along with other questions on other things. Do you think he rang up a reporter and said 'I want to tell the world my thoughts on Lafferty?'

It would be pretty boring if everybody said no comment to everything.

People have such little understanding of how the media works.

I think when it comes down to it, all they want is the story to be something they agree with.

Like, in this case, you are exactly right. McAuley almost certainly was giving an interview on something boring like - Northern Ireland's chances. Journalist thinks: this is f***ing boring, lets ask a few curveballs, this is one of them, and all of a sudden: it's (legitimately) the story.

Everyone whinges about it and, in almost the very next breath, bemoans journalists for not asking difficult or interesting questions.

Older I get, more sympathy I have with the professions everyone seems to hate - journalists, politicians, footballers - and more I seem to think its our expectations that are the problem.

Except estate agents: they can still get the fuck in the sea.

Aye, a bloke who knows him personally, and has played with him at international and club level.

Ye mug.
Being a bright spark you manage to miss my point. As much as he knows him well the point you miss is the reasoning behind McAcauley giving a vehemently negative description in such a public manner. As some others have suggested it seemed a rather bitter description and not necessary. Went beyond ‘a bit of a handful’ comment.
Hope you manage to follow that.

Last edited:
I guess Parky has weighed up his goals will offset his off field personality. a gamble

if he scores goals the squad will understand it's worth the hassle. If he doesn't then.... it's a failed gamble.
for me the good side of it is the opposition will see him as a threat and it'll worry them him coming off the bench

You’ve never heard of either Kyle Lafferty or Gareth McAuley?

Are you one of those Japanese soldiers who’s just emerged from the Malaysian jungle, thinking there’s still a war on? 🙃
Are you one of these not well acquainted with history types who cannot tell the difference between the Philippine jungle and the Malaysian jungle.

Back