Gardening thread 2020

Cleared a lot of old troughs out and planted out the pak choi and romanescu.

Just been reading up how to keep badgers off and apparently human male urine or lion shit are both good deterrents.

Gonna head out once it gets dark and mark my territory against old Mr Brock.

Cleared a lot of old troughs out and planted out the pak choi and romanescu.

Just been reading up how to keep badgers off and apparently human male urine or lion shit are both good deterrents.

Gonna head out once it gets dark and mark my territory against old Mr Brock.
Been a bit slow as the work on the pizza oven is taking over my life!! And me and our lass are apart during due to Coronavirus, and the oven is at hers. But I’m going now and then and doing bits to it. She just watches through the window like a lost little girl. :lol:
asparagus in though and veg started.

Been a bit slow as the work on the pizza oven is taking over my life!! And me and our lass are apart during due to Coronavirus, and the oven is at hers. But I’m going now and then and doing bits to it. She just watches through the window like a lost little girl. :lol:
asparagus in though and veg started.
Got a project to clear the whole of the area at the bottom of the garden by the pond. The missus has bought into it so reckon we'll crack on with that this week if it looks like it's going to stay dry. The lawn stuff can be ongoing in parallel.

Then there's the railings to scrape the rust off and paint up, a little beach hut shed thing to put up ... the garden's gonna be in great nick by the time we're allowed out again :lol:

Got a project to clear the whole of the area at the bottom of the garden by the pond. The missus has bought into it so reckon we'll crack on with that this week if it looks like it's going to stay dry. The lawn stuff can be ongoing in parallel.

Then there's the railings to scrape the rust off and paint up, a little beach hut shed thing to put up ... the garden's gonna be in great nick by the time we're allowed out again :lol:
:lol: No excuses mate.

Last edited:
planted salad leaves in the polytunnel, herbs, peas, courgettes, runner beans, cauli all started in seed trays
Also had a garlic bulb in the fridge that had started sprouting so I divided it up and planted the cloves....see what I get

Try shitting. It will last longer. :lol: I’m getting there with the oven. Il hoy a pic up.
Been out marking then stood looking up at a beautiful clear sky with the moon just off full shining bright and Venus on the distant horizon.

Came back down the garden and saw owld Brock scurrying off into the undergrowth by the garage.

I think this could be a long, protracted war.

It looks good. Pity you will have to have a BBQ by yourself with your lass looking at the burgers through the window :lol:
Ha. I pulled the table up to the window the other tea time and I took bait over and her and the kids pulled the dinning room table to the other side. People will think we are barmy. It’s killing me being away from them. But I’m lucky to have another place standing empty (apart from shite) had a good sort through though.
Been out marking then stood looking up at a beautiful clear sky with the moon just off full shining bright and Venus on the distant horizon.

Came back down the garden and saw owld Brock scurrying off into the undergrowth by the garage.

I think this could be a long, protracted war.
😔 it’s having your life mate by the sound of it. Can it not be ‘culled’

Last edited:
Ha. I pulled the table up to the window the other tea time and I took bait over and her and the kids pulled the dinning room table to the other side. People will think we are barmy. It’s killing me being away from them. But I’m lucky to have another place standing empty (apart from shite) had a good sort through though.
Doing what has to be done mate. Stay safe.

I’ve Had 3 test fires gradually getting bigger so one full size one today and it will be ready to go. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a pizza in it. I will post an Update.
Did you follow a video on YouTube or something to knock it up? I’ve probably got 90% of the gear lying about to make one, it’s just the motivation to do it.

Did you follow a video on YouTube or something to knock it up? I’ve probably got 90% of the gear lying about to make one, it’s just the motivation to do it.
I did It’s cost me so far
vermiculite £80
Timber and Flagstone for base £70
Ceramic fire blanket £50
Tiles to cook on £35
Sand and cement £30
Fixtures and fittings £20
I’m sure the granite was about £100 iirc.
But if you have gear lying about even better, motivation wise mate it’s class. As it’s a slow process. Between every stage you have to wait for drying etc. So a hour or so every couple of days Is ideal. I should have done a blog tbh. As I have most of the stages in picture form. In times like this mate it’s something to get stuck into, worse case scenario, knock it down if it’s shit.
I’ve made it as part of an outdoor cooking area With bbq and it’s looking good.
If ya need any advice drop me a pm.

I did It’s cost me so far
vermiculite £80
Timber and Flagstone for base £70
Ceramic fire blanket £50
Tiles to cook on £35
Sand and cement £30
Fixtures and fittings £20
I’m sure the granite was about £100 iirc.
But if you have gear lying about even better, motivation wise mate it’s class. As it’s a slow process. Between every stage you have to wait for drying etc. So a hour or so every couple of days Is ideal. I should have done a blog tbh. As I have most of the stages in picture form. In times like this mate it’s something to get stuck into, worse case scenario, knock it down if it’s shit.
I’ve made it as part of an outdoor cooking area With bbq and it’s looking good.
If ya need any advice drop me a pm.
That sounds an ideal project to get into at the minute as I’m climbing the walls! What do you reckon the weight of it is fully constructed? I might send you a PM after the weekend for a bit more info. Cheers 👍🏼👍🏼

Back