Gardening thread 2020

Seems like I’m in quite a big group of people who gave their grass a first cut today. Front grass really need scarifying, I’ve done a bit but it’ll need another going over before over-seeding it.
This is my next job after I finish levelling off this soil, which is taking an eternity. The last part was where I could get the rotavator in, so having to dig a foot of compacted soil out by hand. My joints and muscles are f***ing killing me. Still got a bit to do, but its looking like I'm going to have to go back and do a bit of an incline to meet the boundary as its higher than the rest of the garden ffs.

Then I need to fix the weeds in the rest of the lawn - really need to chuck weed n feed on first, then scarify after a few weeks when everything dies back. Then overseed.

I put a new lawn in my garden a couple of years ago and as I was a bit lazy/busy with work at the time, I got a lawn care company to do some work on it - direct debit thing and they visited 5 or 6 times a year.

I’ve binned it off as was costing about 180 quid, but my lawn did look class and got a lot of comments.

I’ve got the weed and feed stuff but I’ve not got the kit to do the scarify and aerate it. I’m guessing this is key and anyone have any tips to get round this with your standard garden tools?

I put a new lawn in my garden a couple of years ago and as I was a bit lazy/busy with work at the time, I got a lawn care company to do some work on it - direct debit thing and they visited 5 or 6 times a year.

I’ve binned it off as was costing about 180 quid, but my lawn did look class and got a lot of comments.

I’ve got the weed and feed stuff but I’ve not got the kit to do the scarify and aerate it. I’m guessing this is key and anyone have any tips to get round this with your standard garden tools?
A garden fork will do the trick for aerating the lawn. Go in about 3" and gently lift the turf a touch. Move about 4" forward, and repeat. The earthworms will like this.
You will need a good metal lawn rake for the scarifying mind.

I’ve just put an awning up this afternoon and some rustic shelving. Looking to paint the fence tomorrow if it doesn’t rain.
Painting the fence is my next job. Was over the moon when the weather turned crap :lol:
Been building raised beds this weekend with leftover pallets. Bit nice therapeutic man work.
I've made a load with 4 foot fence panels my lass got me to make a fence with last year then take off to put 6 foot ones on six months later :confused: :lol:

Last edited:
A garden fork will do the trick for aerating the lawn. Go in about 3" and gently lift the turf a touch. Move about 4" forward, and repeat. The earthworms will like this.

I’ve got a garden fork, is now the time to do it?

Also got a rake, do you mean the thin one you would use to rake cut grass or the thicker one

and a strong back.

Loads of the sheds as well as Aldi, Lidl , ebay etc do electric scarifiers for around the £60-£70 mark. hoy the collecting bag away, grab a metal rake to rake up afterwards and go for it on the highest setting.

Back