Gardening thread 2020

I wish I had the time to get my own veg set away, I’ve got far too much work on atm, hopefully get at it in the autumn ready for next spring, always enjoy this thread and seeing how everyone gets on.

Garlic and Spring cabbages (planted in October) doing well. Still have plenty of leeks to pull and still have a couple of dozen onions in storage.

This year, I won't be planting so many potatoes (my wife went mental and almost every bed was full of them). I want to have a go at carrots again as I've only managed a really decent crop once. I'll be setting away loads of beetroot, swede, French beans, leeks and onions as it's stuff we eat. I have two good sized greenhouses so greenhouse 1 will be tomatoes (black cherry, green zebra and hundreds and thousands) and greenhouse 2 will be mostly chillies. I'll also set away some gherkins for pickling. We have permanent beds for strawberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants. The strawberries are OK but the others struggled last year so they may get taken out if they're not producing. We'll use trugs for some salad stuff.

Garlic and Spring cabbages (planted in October) doing well. Still have plenty of leeks to pull and still have a couple of dozen onions in storage.

This year, I won't be planting so many potatoes (my wife went mental and almost every bed was full of them). I want to have a go at carrots again as I've only managed a really decent crop once. I'll be setting away loads of beetroot, swede, French beans, leeks and onions as it's stuff we eat. I have two good sized greenhouses so greenhouse 1 will be tomatoes (black cherry, green zebra and hundreds and thousands) and greenhouse 2 will be mostly chillies. I'll also set away some gherkins for pickling. We have permanent beds for strawberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants. The strawberries are OK but the others struggled last year so they may get taken out if they're not producing. We'll use trugs for some salad stuff.

Is that in your garden or have you got an allotment mate?

Whenever you want. It’s nigh on impossible to kill and will spread like mad if you don’t keep it in check. Now is a good time while there’s no foliage.
It is marvellous like. A couple of years ago the fence that it was on blew down, probably helped by the weight of it but and as it was next doors they replaced the whole fence with a sturdier one but the triffid went in the bin. Now it is back resplendent as ever!

Front garden will get something simple in this year, now that the building works are complete. I turned the soil over the other week as it was a total mess and looked like a swamp. Probably just throw some simply flowers in with the bairn.

Got to level a large patch of soil from the new land out the back and get the grass seed on it. Just waiting for the soil to dry out enough so that I can dig into it and level it - no point even trying while its wet.
Got a load of sleeper borders now too, so I'll have to think of stuff to put in them - Some in direct sun, some partial and a lot is going to be shady. We want to grow some herbs in them too and maybe a little bit of veg.

And down the side, we're going to put up portugese laural - about 30m of the stuff.

Then, the big project, going to partially fence off a chunk of land behind my fence (I know!), and turn it into a wildflower garden. Been fancying doing it for ages, but I've got a load of spare wood now. Only fencing as much as it takes to stop the council from cutting it - it wont stop people / dogs running through if they really want.
Probably stick a bee-house thing in it too.

Back