Gaming PCs

OK, so he saved up and (with a bit of help from us) hit his goal on Xmas Day, ordered the kit and it all arrived today.

Spent most of the day putting it all together (GPU and cooler on to the motherboard, install GPU, install powers source etc)

Switched it on, everything looks good, expect there's no picture. Connected HDMI to TV via the HDMI slot on the GPU. Should I be using a displayport instead? Any other ideas?

OK, so he saved up and (with a bit of help from us) hit his goal on Xmas Day, ordered the kit and it all arrived today.

Spent most of the day putting it all together (GPU and cooler on to the motherboard, install GPU, install powers source etc)

Switched it on, everything looks good, expect there's no picture. Connected HDMI to TV via the HDMI slot on the GPU. Should I be using a displayport instead? Any other ideas?

Format the fucker.

Seriously though I hope it is a simple fix.

I should say. the instructions the came with the kit are f***ing garbage - clearly they are aimed at people who know what they are doing

Does it post (beep) when you turn it on ?

also make sure the cable is in graphics cards not motherboard.

if the motherboard has a hdmi port remove the graphics card and try it in that.

also check graphics card has enough power and it’s connected

Does it post (beep) when you turn it on ?

also make sure the cable is in graphics cards not motherboard.

if the motherboard has a hdmi port remove the graphics card and try it in that.

also check graphics card has enough power and it’s connected
It doesn't "beep" but it definitely turns on (light flash, cooler kicks in. USBs are all active etc)
HDMI is plugged into the GPU (it's the only HDMI slot as the motherboard doesn't have one)
GPU lights up (I have tried with one/both of the power sockets plugged in [lead from the power unit directly into the GPU])

Am hoping the change to a displayport will solve the problem

It doesn't "beep" but it definitely turns on (light flash, cooler kicks in. USBs are all active etc)
HDMI is plugged into the GPU (it's the only HDMI slot as the motherboard doesn't have one)
GPU lights up (I have tried with one/both of the power sockets plugged in [lead from the power unit directly into the GPU])

Am hoping the change to a displayport will solve the problem

what CPU does it have?, if possible it might be worth removing the GPU and booting with onboard graphics (connecting to the HDMI port on the motherboard)

can you post full specs - GPU, CPU, etc

what CPU does it have?, if possible it might be worth removing the GPU and booting with onboard graphics (connecting to the HDMI port on the motherboard)

can you post a pic of inside the case so i can check the connectors

How many power connectors does the GPU have?

are you sure the power you have connected to the GPU is PCI and not the CPU power connector.

Last edited:

CPU - Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Octa Core LGA1151 CPU
GPU - ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC 8GB GDDR6 256-bit 14 Gbps
Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard ATX, LGA1151, DDR4, LAN, USB 3.1 Gen2, Type-C, M.2, RGB Mystic Light, VGA, DVI-D, Display Port, Intel 8th and 9th Gen

I'll try booting with GPU removed tomorrow, but need the displayport cable first as the mobo doesn't have an HDMI slot
can you post a pic of inside the case so i can check the connectors
Will do so tomorrow. Cheers

How many power connectors does the GPU have?

are you sure the power you have connected to the GPU is PCI and not the CPU power connector.

2 connectors. I have attached the same cable to both (it has 2 sets of 6 pin adaptors. Also tried it with just one attached

Pretty sure it's the correct one as I had them the other way around and it wouldn't even switch on

Last edited:
looks like that gpu uses 2x8pin power connectors

The CPU also uses a 8pin, but the CPU can normally be split into 2x4pin where as the PCI E GPU one splits into 6+2

Have you got power going to both of these
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Yes I have

if the GPU has connectors like this on the same cable dont use them both

Use one connector then a seperate cable also for the other.

The GPU has 2 x 8 pin slots. Also in the box were 2 cables that fit into each slot. Each cable has 2 connectors (so, 4 in total). I have connected 1 of these slots to 1 of these cables and to the same connector that comes from the Power Unit

Last edited:

Back