Games Review Sites

Pretty much what @jedi_toaster has said. Metacritic is useful for a broad range of critic and user scores. Worth A Buy is decent on YouTube along with Jim Sterling. Basically any YouTube channel that isn't greased to the nines with money and merch from publishers is useful to watch.

Pretty much what @jedi_toaster has said. Metacritic is useful for a broad range of critic and user scores. Worth A Buy is decent on YouTube along with Jim Sterling. Basically any YouTube channel that isn't greased to the nines with money and merch from publishers is useful to watch.
Worthabuy goes off it if there’s women in games. I called him out on it in a comment on a video and he said I was a millennial snowflake. I’m 41. Get bored of his sexist rants now.

Kotaku generally get across a good idea and feel of a game without being overly "ZOMG BEST GAME EVA" like a lot of mainstream gaming press.

It's the only gaming site I trust.

Of all the games :lol::lol:
I also think he’s a tit because he’s asking for 4,500 per month on Patreon (on top of his YouTube monetisation) cos he reckons that if you factor all the hours he puts in then that still leaves him only on minimum wage. He’s not wired right. Some of his gaming opinions are spot on, and I wish he’d stick to them....but, you know....the internet.

I also think he’s a tit because he’s asking for 4,500 per month on Patreon (on top of his YouTube monetisation) cos he reckons that if you factor all the hours he puts in then that still leaves him only on minimum wage. He’s not wired right. Some of his gaming opinions are spot on, and I wish he’d stick to them....but, you know....the internet.

I've been watching him in complete ignorant bliss :eek:

I generally get a good feel for a game from its promo material, YouTube videos etc.

Eurogamer is pretty good. Generally well-balanced reviews. You do get the odd one where the journo is clearly bias for or against a game for some reason, but most articles are sensible.

Generally start with Metacritic as a base and read some good/some not so good. Also depends on the genre, i.e. if its a RPG look for sites that mainly do those.

As mentioned above, digging around on YouTube can help.

EDGE is the only publication I take seriously. All these online review sites are suspect as fuck. Reviewers these days are too quick to hand out 9s and 10s.
It’s the times we live in mate. Everything has to be polarised so a game is either 9 or 10 or it’s worse than shit. Look at the drama when Jim Sterling gave the latest Zelda a 7, and his review caused the meta critic score to move a tenth of a percentage. But a 7 is a perfectly decent game, it just has the odd flaw and perhaps didn’t appeal to the reviewer like it appeals to others. I remember years ago I would be happy to buy a game that scored a 6 or 7 because it meant that there was plenty to like, and I might even like it more than the reviewer.

Back