Game won't use my GPU

PTR

Striker
Anyone ever had this issue before?
I've got a laptop that has a dedicated GPU (1060 I think) as well as the iGPU on the i5 CPU.

Trying to play RDR2, but it just won't use the GPU. I've been in the NVidea settings, and added the .exe with the instruction to use the GPU, but nah, nothing seems to work. Right clicking the shortcut and telling it to use the GPU throws up an error that this isn't allowed and to use the Nvidea control panel (Which I've already done). Also throws an error than the driver version for the intel graphics is not up to date, when actually its miles newer than the one it says it needs.

Any ideas? Google isn't helping, although I'm seeing people with the same problem.

Anyone ever had this issue before?
I've got a laptop that has a dedicated GPU (1060 I think) as well as the iGPU on the i5 CPU.

Trying to play RDR2, but it just won't use the GPU. I've been in the NVidea settings, and added the .exe with the instruction to use the GPU, but nah, nothing seems to work. Right clicking the shortcut and telling it to use the GPU throws up an error that this isn't allowed and to use the Nvidea control panel (Which I've already done). Also throws an error than the driver version for the intel graphics is not up to date, when actually its miles newer than the one it says it needs.

Any ideas? Google isn't helping, although I'm seeing people with the same problem.
Has it got the latest drivers ie geforce experience? Also on the bairns laptop you can right click on the shortcut and choose what gpu. Failing that do a roll back to when it did work

Has it got the latest drivers ie geforce experience? Also on the bairns laptop you can right click on the shortcut and choose what gpu. Failing that do a roll back to when it did work
Only just installed the game, its never worked before.
All other games work fine

This one won't let me right click and chose GPU, it chucks an error message that I have to do it in the Nvidea Control panel - which I have done, but doesn't work.

Drivers are up to date as far as I know. I update whenever the Nvidea software tells me to.

Only just installed the game, its never worked before.
All other games work fine

This one won't let me right click and chose GPU, it chucks an error message that I have to do it in the Nvidea Control panel - which I have done, but doesn't work.

Drivers are up to date as far as I know. I update whenever the Nvidea software tells me to.
Don't suppose you've tried to reinstall the game?

Try it
- update your graphics driver to version "441.12" or higher
- disable antivirus and Windows protectio

This has always helped me

Don't suppose you've tried to reinstall the game?
No, but I could try that.
Well, I was about to do a driver rollback as someone else suggested, but turns out there is a newer set available - so might as well try that first. Good job its only an 800mb file. HOW?????

Last edited:
No, but I could try that.
Well, I was about to do a driver rollback as someone else suggested, but turns out there is a newer set available - so might as well try that first. Good job its only an 800mb file. HOW?????
RDR2 is only 800MB?

Wtf?

I take it disabling integrated graphics didn't work?

RDR2 is only 800MB?

Wtf?

I take it disabling integrated graphics didn't work?
No, the driver update is 800mb LOL

Haven't had a chance to try disabling integrated. I really think that's a non-starter though, as the OS uses that one for almost everything. Not sure the laptop can run with only the dedicated GPU.

No, the driver update is 800mb LOL

Haven't had a chance to try disabling integrated. I really think that's a non-starter though, as the OS uses that one for almost everything. Not sure the laptop can run with only the dedicated GPU.
It's not a bios thing, just control panel. Should be fine.

It's not a bios thing, just control panel. Should be fine.
Remember its a laptop thing, The monitor output comes from the motherboard, not direct from the GPU like on a desktop video card.

reiterate though, all my other games work fine with this setup.
Solved

Recent windows update had taken the GPU control off the Nvidea control panel and into Windows OS.
Driver needed an update to handle this properly. Even though I'd only just updated it recently, the Windows update meant it needed another one.

Working fine now.

Last edited:
Remember its a laptop thing, The monitor output comes from the motherboard, not direct from the GPU like on a desktop video card.

reiterate though, all my other games work fine with this setup.
Solved

Recent windows update had taken the GPU control off the Nvidea control panel and into Windows OS.
Driver needed an update to handle this properly. Even though I'd only just updated it recently, the Windows update meant it needed another one.

Working fine now.
Yes I think weve had about 3 Nvidia updates since i bought the latest laptop in September

sooooooooooooooooooo turns out I need a new GPU as this one isn't cutting it. Highest res I can select is 900p due to the 2Gb ram limit. And I can't even play that in fullscreen, it only plays in a tiny window on my 4k TV.

Annoying that its still a horrible time to build a gaming PC right now.
Is Stadia any good?

Last edited:
sooooooooooooooooooo turns out I need a new GPU as this one isn't cutting it. Highest res I can select is 900p due to the 2Gb ram limit. And I can't even play that in fullscreen, it only plays in a tiny window on my 4k TV.

Annoying that its still a horrible time to build a gaming PC right now.
🤮

Back