GAME (the shop)

Flying Lotus

Midfield
Went into one last week for the first time in ages.

How on earth do they make any money?! Ridiculous prices, even for the second hand stuff - Resident Evil 4 pre-owned on the PS4 was about £26 :lol:

Can’t understand how they sell anything when places like Amazon and Shopto are around.

Was in GameStop here yesterday thinking the same thing, second hand games going for €40 and not even recent ones, fuck off…

I have no idea how they are still open. As stated above 90% of their sales must come from parents and grandparents that have no clue buying FIFA points for gifts.

I went in there for an xbox 360 pad a few years ago. XBone had been out for a few years so I expected prices to be reasonable. Nope, £36 for a wired pad. Ridiculous.

I got one from CEX for a tenner instead.

I’m not sure that they’re purposefully ripping people off tbh. They’re a 20th century business model operating in the 21st century. Retail units, staff, insurance, bills etc all cost money, so the products they sell need to be priced accordingly. They’re obviously flagging in the game sales stakes as you can see they’re trying to diversify by entering the trade-in and resale of other technologies market. Grainger games tried that route before they finally went bust, so who knows.... I do think there’s still a place for a physical games shop, mainly for nannas and non-techies to buy kids presents, but maybe the market can only support one company now. I always have a wander in when I’m in town but more as a physical catalogue, and I then go off and see where I can get the stuff cheapest. I’m probably part of the problem tbh, but money’s tight.....

Had a quick look at their financials out of curiosity.

Pre-tax losses of £17.5 million in the last 2 years.

To answer the OP's question of how do they make money, I think the simple answer is they don't :D

Maybe so but at least it doesn’t stink of piss like cex. Worth paying the premium just for that
Even though I’ve used Cex a few times, it’s a prime example of scratter central. It stinks, the staff are cocky smelly wankers, usually with dyed hair and a facial piercing and quite frankly it’s amazing some of the shite they’re willing to take in to sell. Last time I was in one I noticed a DVD that was Friends Season 2, episodes 4-6 sat in a clear plastic sleeve for 40p :confused:

Even though I’ve used Cex a few times, it’s a prime example of scratter central. It stinks, the staff are cocky smelly wankers, usually with dyed hair and a facial piercing and quite frankly it’s amazing some of the shite they’re willing to take in to sell. Last time I was in one I noticed a DVD that was Friends Season 2, episodes 4-6 sat in a clear plastic sleeve for 40p :confused:

Did you buy it? Take off the price of the sleeve and that's only 35p for a Frisbee!

The upselling is ridiculous like. I tend to always pre-order on Amazon but I picked up Resident Evil 2 as an impulse purchase when it first launched and was reminded why I stopped going in the first place.

"Do you want to insure your disc for £1?"
"Are you after the season pass for an extra £30 today?"
"Can I interest you in any of t-shirts behind me at all?"

FFS mate, just sell me the game and let me leave. Popped in before Christmas and the amount of Fortnite V-Bucks that were being pushed onto parents was predatory.

If game didn’t exist. Do you not think amazon would not bump prices right up.

Also who else on the high street can you use now. Cex is very hit and miss with quality. And grainier games has gone.

Back