Gambling with our club

MSD Partners may well still take a shareholding in the club. Talks ongoing. Seems clear from this, though, that SD will remain in day-to-day charge regardless.

Tweet from Phil Smith, Sunderland Echo

MSD Partners may well still take a shareholding in the club. Talks ongoing. Seems clear from this, though, that SD will remain in day-to-day charge regardless.

Tweet from Phil Smith, Sunderland Echo
Brings back memories of when Sky bought a 10% holding when we were floated

The future of the club is in the hands of someone who is not fit for purpose imo.
I am not talking about the manager here. He may surprise us all and reinvigorate the underperforming members of the squad, but if he does it will be no thanks to our owner.
Austerity cuts will be deeper next year if we are still in L1
I agree with the austerity cuts but I believe the fault lies purely with Ross not being good enough. If Parky does a bad job then maybe I’m wrong and then it will be the players.

Stumbled across this thread and interesting that it diverged into the cattermole / oveido release again. Tbh im surprised it's come up again. When Catts went it was actually in the papers that's what the deal was (as well as mentioned by numerous on here when it happened)
he's basically getting 50% of what he would have over X years he had left, over 2 x X years. Thought everyone realised that!?🤷‍♂️

Stumbled across this thread and interesting that it diverged into the cattermole / oveido release again. Tbh im surprised it's come up again. When Catts went it was actually in the papers that's what the deal was (as well as mentioned by numerous on here when it happened)
he's basically getting 50% of what he would have over X years he had left, over 2 x X years. Thought everyone realised that!?🤷‍♂️
So we're paying all his contract and he's not playing for us.
Can someone explain why that was considered to be in the best interests of the club?

The future of the club is in the hands of someone who is not fit for purpose imo.
I am not talking about the manager here. He may surprise us all and reinvigorate the underperforming members of the squad, but if he does it will be no thanks to our owner.

If you are not 100pc certain of the FACTS, you should not be posting stuff like this.
Too many like you are speculating and pontificating and being negative without knowing exactly what is going on.
Daft in my opinion.

If you are not 100pc certain of the FACTS, you should not be posting stuff like this.
Too many like you are speculating and pontificating and being negative without knowing exactly what is going on.
Daft in my opinion.
I dare bet he will not be far off the truth though...

More than likely a years wages up front then £20k a week this season and next to allow the wage bill for new signings! Just saying what I was told!
Is that not two years wages then, but paying 18 months worth this year?

Like everyone on here, I have no insight into Cattermole's contract, the details in it, bonuses etc. But there's two years to run, by releasing him early and allowing him to find a new club, we'd be mad to pay him the full value of the two years remaining on his contract. Paying him £20k per week over two years, which would be supplemented by his wages at a new club would mean both parties are winners. Paying him in full over two years and not getting anything for it is just bonkers. The sole objective in moving on Cattermole will have been to reduce the wage bill. It will be the same with Oviedo.

Some people may hear rumours, or info from people close to the club, but only Catts, his representatives and the club's owners will know the truth. The rest is just bollocks.

The people who gambled with the clubs future are the long list of Premier League Managers who were allowed to overspend on average players and foreign mercenaries who bled the club dry. And Ellis Short was part of the problem as he appointed them all. And I'm not convinced his deal to part with the club isn't the reason why this investment deal hasn't taken place.

The owner who appointed him?

You must have forgotten the state of the club when Donald came in.

Some of the comments on this message board are mental. We were left fucked 3 years back and worse has happened to the likes of Bolton and Portsmouth in a similar financial mess.

With no parachute payments and still paying Cattermole £20k a week, Oviedo similar and a massive wage bill for league one the future is definitely bleak without a takeover or massive investment! They have gambled 100%

pretty sure that is how owning/running a club/business works.

every mangerial appointment, transfer signing and every other big decision is a gamble

The owner who appointed him?

You must have forgotten the state of the club when Donald came in.

Some of the comments on this message board are mental. We were left fucked 3 years back and worse has happened to the likes of Bolton and Portsmouth in a similar financial mess.

Err with most of it’s debts paid off by the previous owner. Short said there were other people interested but SD says he, Short, thought they would take the club forward. It is looking like another poor footballing decision by Short, allowing this serial failure to get Eastleigh promoted to run our club.

Back