Gabby Petito

A lad I work with is married to an American so he's spent quite a lot of time over there and he's adamant that Floridians are the stupidest people on earth.

That's for that mate, all very interesting to me and I'm not a lawyer!
He's right. Floridians are what people in Alabama and Georgia look to when they want to feel smart.

I saw a few reports on BBC News website but, to be blunt, I didn't really understand why it was being given any profile over here. There must be loads of ongoing murder cases in the USA all the time so why the interest in this one? Especially when it seems pretty obvious the boyfriend did away with her. Doesn't seem much else to say.

It's hard to tell why this could have attracted more media and online interest than many other missings person cases.

Logon or register to see this image

'Missings person'? I appear to have become Borat.

Missing white woman syndrome or as it should probably be called, missing pretty young white middle class woman syndrome.

You want to bring the crackpots out? Claim that Gabby Petito was Madeleine McCann. Age is decently close, appearance seems like it could work too.

Now fictionalize that and launch your career or assert it as fact and become the new Professional Mackem.

Last edited:
Is it? It seems pretty clear what happened. The only real wrinkles in it are that they pushed themselves as "vanlife" "influencers" (to not much success) and the role of his family afterward.

I thought this was interesting when it seemed like it might be a "zone of death" case (there's a small part of Yellowstone National Park reasonably near where this happened in which a Constitutional loophole makes it legally impossible to try someone for a crime committed there), which would have been an incredible international sensation.

But alas, not the case. It's tragic and ugly, but it is an oft-repeated road driven yet again.
Have to say I’ve been following it since I found out he came home, refused to talk to the police about where she was, even though she was missing, and absolutely nowt got done about it. It seems bonkers to me - why wasn’t he brought in for questioning?

I also spent some time in Yellowstone and Moab and the area they were in - tell me more about this loophole in Yellowstone?

Have to say I’ve been following it since I found out he came home, refused to talk to the police about where she was, even though she was missing, and absolutely nowt got done about it. It seems bonkers to me - why wasn’t he brought in for questioning?

I also spent some time in Yellowstone and Moab and the area they were in - tell me more about this loophole in Yellowstone?

The loophole is a conflict between two legal principles. First, all federal criminal defendants have a right to trial by jury (Sixth Amendment). This jury must be composed of citizens of the federal judicial district and state in which the crime occurred (same citation).

Second, crimes in Yellowstone are exclusively federal jurisdiction, and the entirety of the park is under the jurisdiction of the District of Wyoming (16 USC 24). (This also means you can't get around this issue by charging anyone with equivalent state-level crimes.)

The problem this creates is as follows: Not all of Yellowstone is in the state of Wyoming. Part is in Montana, and part is in Idaho. The Idaho part is uninhabited. Thus, if you charged someone with a crime committed in the Idaho part of the park, there is no possible valid jury: there are zero people who are citizens of both Idaho and the judicial District of Wyoming because nobody lives in the Idaho portion of the park. No jury, no trial unless defendant waives his right to trial by jury.

Last edited:
The loophole is a conflict between two legal principles. First, all federal criminal defendants have a right to trial by jury (Sixth Amendment). This jury must be composed of citizens of the federal judicial district and state in which the crime occurred (same citation).

Second, crimes in Yellowstone are exclusively federal jurisdiction, and the entirety of the park is under the jurisdiction of the District of Wyoming (16 USC 24). (This also means you can't get around this issue by charging anyone with equivalent state-level crimes.)

The problem this creates is as follows: Not all of Yellowstone is in the state of Wyoming. Part is in Montana, and part is in Idaho. The Idaho part is uninhabited. Thus, if you charged someone with a crime committed in the Idaho part of the park, there is no possible valid jury: there are zero people who are citizens of both Idaho and the judicial District of Wyoming because nobody lives in the Idaho portion of the park. No jury, no trial unless defendant waives his right to trial by jury.
Wow that’s fascinating. Have there been cases where this has actually happened?

Wow that’s fascinating. Have there been cases where this has actually happened?
As far as anyone is aware, never for the Idaho portion of the park. There was one in the Montana part - where it would be difficult but not impossible to convene a jury, as there are a few residents - but the defendant took a plea deal (it was a case of poaching in a national park and he plead down to a misdemeanor, so a pretty big incentive) so the government could avoid the issue.

Certainly isn't what I'm implying. It's more so because it's a pretty interesting case!

Not really. Couple go on road trip, they get into arguments and fights, he loses the plot and kills her and now he's probably gone and topped himself.

Nothing interesting about it just another sad case of gender violence resulting in the death of a young woman with her entire adult life ahead of her.

Not really. Couple go on road trip, they get into arguments and fights, he loses the plot and kills her and now he's probably gone and topped himself.

Nothing interesting about it just another sad case of gender violence resulting in the death of a young woman with her entire adult life ahead of her.
I’m into crime stories/investigations always have been. I find it interesting because of the amount of ‘evidence’ readily available to view online.

Yes it’s sad, all these kind of cases are.

I’m not so sure he’s topped himself either.

As far as anyone is aware, never for the Idaho portion of the park. There was one in the Montana part - where it would be difficult but not impossible to convene a jury, as there are a few residents - but the defendant took a plea deal (it was a case of poaching in a national park and he plead down to a misdemeanor, so a pretty big incentive) so the government could avoid the issue.
I think I was in the Montana part when we stopped for a coffee and wees in a little cafe. We ordered at the bar and the bloke sitting on a stool next to us heard our accents and asked where we were from. We said London, and the immediate next thing he said was “what’s it like having a Muslim for a mayor?”

I wouldn’t like to be tried by jury in Montana.

First and foremost RIP Gabby…

this is worthy of a mini series never mind a movie.
The scummy lawyer representing Laundrie upload an image of Gabby onto his Yelp page to publicise himself.
He then doubled down and said it wasn’t him when he was challenged over it.
Yelp then confirmed that he did indeed upload and then replace the image

Back