Fussy toddler

Henry_Hill

Winger
After a of bit advice, the bairn is almost 2 and has suddenly become very fussy with his food, especially fruit and vegetables. Googled looking for tips and the majority of advice seems aimed at the perfect life such as eating together as a family which just isn’t practical given our working life.
His food currently consists of
Breakfast he’ll have either weatabix or toast
Lunch and tea is either tuna/chicken in either jacket potato or sandwiches.
Snackwise he’ll eat yoghurts and quavers
Only healthy snack he’ll eat is a banana

we’re hoping its just a phase and wont last long but any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated

Mumsnet this shite.

Don't stress too much over it would be my 1st bit of advice.

Have you tried spag bol? My 1st is very very fussy and number 2 less so but getting fussier all the time. Both however love spag bol. And you can load the fucker up with veg.

Mumsnet this shite.

Don't stress too much over it would be my 1st bit of advice.

Have you tried spag bol? My 1st is very very fussy and number 2 less so but getting fussier all the time. Both however love spag bol. And you can load the fucker up with veg.

cheers mate, i’ll get straight onto mumsnet too, cant believe i didnt try it first haha

i’ll give spag bol a go and see how we get on cheers

Just keep serving them fruit/veg with whatever they normally have even if they don’t eat it at first they will try it eventually. I know it results in a bit wasted food but it worked with both of mine.
Yep, I do this and slowly mine is getting better. No waste either as I sort out the leftovers.

Obvious one but give plenty of praise when he does eat something healthy.

My bairn is doing my head in. Loves heinz ravioli, but only heinz. Which we can't get anywhere. We've tried giving him Sainsburys own brand and the likes without him seeing the tin, but it gets spat straight out. Bloody pest. He's 6 so they don't always get better!!

After a of bit advice, the bairn is almost 2 and has suddenly become very fussy with his food, especially fruit and vegetables. Googled looking for tips and the majority of advice seems aimed at the perfect life such as eating together as a family which just isn’t practical given our working life.

we’re hoping its just a phase and wont last long but any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
Just tell him if he doesn’t eat it he’s getting nowt.

Keep serving it but make sure he sees you eat. Mine are 3 and 1. They go through phases. The 1y old currently likes cauli and lamb. The 3y old likes fois gras. They try what we eat.

Don’t fuss, don’t like, don’t get.
Simple.

Google ‘hidden veggie’ recipes if you’re worried about your bairn not getting enough vegetables in their diet, a sneaky way to get it in the without them knowing.

My youngest is a f***ing pain, she’s nearly 5 and meal times are a stress on getting her to even pick up a fork and feed herself. She has a certain set of food which she’ll eat, at a push, Super Noodles, Pasta and tins of beans and sausages, but everything else, including pizza which she’s recently gone off she pretty much refuses, but she’ll happily snack on olives, cucumbers and fruit in between, so we at least know she’s getting enough food, so we’re just going with it in the hope that she does grow out of it at some point. All kids are little arseholes!

Praise just for trying new things .

Not a quick fix, but we instituted “Try It Tuesday” with our two.

They get served whatever we decide for main course and then they decide on dessert. They don’t get dessert if they don’t try eating all of their main course.

There have been meltdowns, tantrums and go slows but after about 6 months they started to tow the line a bit. We did have to add a time limit onto main course as they started to take the proverbial. On the upside both of them now eat more varied diets: lamb, ham, black olives, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, fish without a golden batter etc.
My bairn is doing my head in. Loves heinz ravioli, but only heinz. Which we can't get anywhere. We've tried giving him Sainsburys own brand and the likes without him seeing the tin, but it gets spat straight out. Bloody pest. He's 6 so they don't always get better!!
Makro or booker wholesale are good to try if you can. We managed to get some there as our two wont touch the own brand gear.

Last edited:
Get them involved in meal prep and cooking. They're more likely to eat it if they've picked the meal and helped to prepare it.

Sometimes it's just attention seeking or a control thing. Be firm if it's food you know they like and they're just acting themselves for the sake of it. The more you pander to them, the more they act up with pretendy dislikes. I refused to give them something else, so they knew if they didn't eat it, they'd be hungry. None of them starved to death and they all eat a wide variety of foods.

Back