Furlough extended till September.

Hi, try to be a bit more positive, I thought the same after my furlough period ended and I was made redundant at 60. I thought like you that I was on the scrapheap but in January I got a job so there is hope for all of us. So chin up, something will come along. If I can do it you will as well.
Thank you for your kind, supportive words xx

It does make you wonder though. Though SURELY it can’t go on longer than that? My fear is SAGE and top honcho’s in the NHS will be itching for more restrictions in the autumn, but that would be ridiculously expensive.
You keep saying stuff like this. Support will be needed beyond restrictions. If the government weren't offering it people would be shouting too.

You keep saying stuff like this. Support will be needed beyond restrictions. If the government weren't offering it people would be shouting too.
They’ve borrowed so much already, 407 billion (!!!), I just can’t help but feel they’d want to disband furlough as soon as feasibly possible.

They’ve borrowed so much already, 407 billion (!!!), I just can’t help but feel they’d want to disband furlough as soon as feasibly possible.
Furlough is a bit cloak and dagger imo. To a small business owner it surely makes more sense to take bounce back money and open back up than stay closed? I honestly can't see many people still being on the scheme come June.

Furlough is a bit cloak and dagger imo. To a small business owner it surely makes more sense to take bounce back money and open back up than stay closed? I honestly can't see many people still being on the scheme come June.
You can see businesses that reopen taking on only a proportion of staff to see how both the business and the staffing level goes. The rest will be furloughed and, once the scheme runs out, they will then have to make a decision to re-engage or make redundant.

You can see the economic logic of it but it will also mean spreading out the unemployment stats.

You can see businesses that reopen taking on only a proportion of staff to see how both the business and the staffing level goes. The rest will be furloughed and, once the scheme runs out, they will then have to make a decision to re-engage or make redundant.

You can see the economic logic of it but it will also mean spreading out the unemployment stats.
I actually reckon that we'll see a bit of boom in the sector's that have been closed. It'll be mainly hospitality, theatres, attractions and cinemas. All of the things people have missed. If all goes well come June these places will be back to normal and need the staff. Also a lot of those places use seasonal or casual staff. So their permanent employees who are currently benefiting from the scheme will be first to return you would have thought. Like you say it's probably a bit of a safety net. However, it's been used to flesh out what's been offered slightly imo and has nothing to do with plans of tightening restrictions because I don't think that will happen.

I’ve just started furlough today just one day a week like. Brexit and such meaning we are struggling for parts. Nice to see extended till June then scaling back till September.

I actually reckon that we'll see a bit of boom in the sector's that have been closed. It'll be mainly hospitality, theatres, attractions and cinemas. All of the things people have missed. If all goes well come June these places will be back to normal and need the staff. Also a lot of those places use seasonal or casual staff. So their permanent employees who are currently benefiting from the scheme will be first to return you would have thought. Like you say it's probably a bit of a safety net. However, it's been used to flesh out what's been offered slightly imo and has nothing to do with plans of tightening restrictions because I don't think that will happen.
Probably not many productions in a position to be able to go from the off for theatres. Probably just stand up comedians with an act ready initially. And cinemas will really only be if films come out for then or if it takes around a month to start to get things out. And will there be the usual number of films coming out to get back to normal trade, or will it build up over a while as the production companies might need to stretch new releases until paused productions get going again fully? Hospitality and attractions should be up to speed quickly.

Probably not many productions in a position to be able to go from the off for theatres. Probably just stand up comedians with an act ready initially. And cinemas will really only be if films come out for then or if it takes around a month to start to get things out. And will there be the usual number of films coming out to get back to normal trade, or will it build up over a while as the production companies might need to stretch new releases until paused productions get going again fully? Hospitality and attractions should be up to speed quickly.
I'm not a regular cinema person. However I think there's a few big ones been sat waiting for audiences to return. My Mrs and the youngest daughter have got tickets to go and see Six the musical? in July. Again I'm not sure what it is but apparently it was big in the West end and has a whole tour planned. I think with theatre the people involved will get it running again as it's probably a labour of love to them.

I'm not a regular cinema person. However I think there's a few big ones been sat waiting for audiences to return. My Mrs and the youngest daughter have got tickets to go and see Six the musical? in July. Again I'm not sure what it is but apparently it was big in the West end and has a whole tour planned. I think with theatre the people involved will get it running again as it's probably a labour of love to them.
While cast might be able to rehearse online, some stuff will take time to get in the swing of things and usually need dress rehearsals before going live too. Not sure any of that has been going on during lock downs.

Cinemas ended up closing voluntarily last year due to a lack of new films coming out to get bums on seats, as films weren't getting released as they knew the films couldn't get bums on seats quick enough to make the most money possible. Some big releases went to streaming, others have been held back. But no idea what lock downs around the world have done for things like post production and what not so might stretch release dates a bit. And then there's the global issue. Some distributors want the films released to as many markets as possible at once or in a short time, so unless the other markets are running too, some might get delayed further. Why release in the UK in July if the earliest it can be seen in similar circumstances in the rest of Europe is a few months later? Best to hold off and release at once.

While cast might be able to rehearse online, some stuff will take time to get in the swing of things and usually need dress rehearsals before going live too. Not sure any of that has been going on during lock downs.

Cinemas ended up closing voluntarily last year due to a lack of new films coming out to get bums on seats, as films weren't getting released as they knew the films couldn't get bums on seats quick enough to make the most money possible. Some big releases went to streaming, others have been held back. But no idea what lock downs around the world have done for things like post production and what not so might stretch release dates a bit. And then there's the global issue. Some distributors want the films released to as many markets as possible at once or in a short time, so unless the other markets are running too, some might get delayed further. Why release in the UK in July if the earliest it can be seen in similar circumstances in the rest of Europe is a few months later? Best to hold off and release at once.
Some good points marra. I just hope the bairn gets to see this six thing as she's nuts about it.

Cinemas should do a few retro nights. Loads of movies would have been good to see on a big screen like Jaws, Predator, Gladiator etc

He’s changed his tune ain’t he. Can remember him fuming when money was gifted to you many years back.

Here we go.
I though minimum was 3 weeks furlough ?

Nah. Its flexible now. I got furloughed for one day in January because Nissan ran out of parts. It's open to abuse a bit imo.

Last edited:
Social media awash with numpties claiming it’s “proof that lockdown will continue until September”. Because places can obviously open and carry on where they left off like nowt happened, whether it’s June or a bit later
It's because August is the target for final vaccinations
They won't be back to normal at all. They'll be open and bound by social distancing which means they'll be 50% capacity at best

Last edited:
They won't be back to normal at all. They'll be open and bound by social distancing which means they'll be 50% capacity at best
To be fair neither of us know if that will be the case or not. My personal opinion is that there's enough vaccine to go around and there's more coming. If anyone hasn't bothered by June 21st, then it's their decision but they have to be prepared to live with any potential personal consequences.

To be fair neither of us know if that will be the case or not. My personal opinion is that there's enough vaccine to go around and there's more coming. If anyone hasn't bothered by June 21st, then it's their decision but they have to be prepared to live with any potential personal consequences.

All done by May mate, back to normal. He'll have to bring it forward from his June date as all the stats will be starting to collapse in a matter of weeks, quite simply won't be able to drag it out any longer.

Back