Funk from countries other than UK or US

fyl2u

Striker
There's been some great stuff out there over the years from mainland Europe, South America, Africa, Japan....

I just heard this French guy for the first time tonight, Sinclair. Absolutely loving it. Amazing voice and funky as fuck.

What amazing funk have you heard from countries other than the UK or US?

Afrobeat's Afrobeat not funk, but very near neighbours and you can't talk Afrobeat without Fela.

Lots of interesting African spin-off music scenes, from Ethopian jazz to Zambian 'zamrock' which was psychedelia/garage married to an African sensibility...

If you like Fela, have you heard Bixiga70?

Brazilian band heavily (and unashamedly) influenced by FK...

I love to listen to this album late at night when I've had far too much wine.

Not funk, but I recently discovered The HU.

Mongolian throat metal. Baffling yet rather good.:lol:

Throat metal? Not a genre I've come across. Does it involve that weird throat singing where they sing two notes at the same time?

Last edited:
From Holland about 10 years ago, the Wicked Jazz Sounds Band...

Love It All...

Probably my favourite of theirs, Can't Keep....

And I can't decide whether I prefer the album version or live-on-the-radio version of this, The Biggest Sin...

Ah bugger the album version's a little bit longer but I can't find it on YouTube so here's the studio single version:

Live on the radio:

Yes it is! :lol::eek::cool:

It's like Southern Rock but Japanese! Crazy! But cool! :D

Yes it is! :lol::eek::cool:

It's like Southern Rock but Japanese! Crazy! But cool! :D

Whoops, Mongolian. Sry.

Nice!

The groove on that!

:cool:

Absolutely loving this!

--------------------------------

From Sweden, Nils Landgren Funk Unit:

More from Holland, Candy Duffer:

:lol: "Duffer" :oops:

Dulfer even. :lol:

She played with Pink Floyd for a while. You can totally hear it in some of her stuff...

That solo is so Dave Gilmore! :-D

Jazz rather than funk, but from Hungary, this album is an immense late-night pissed-up headphones album, like that Bixiga70 one...

Last edited:
Couldn’t remember this bloke’s name last night. Had to google it. Responsible for some classic movie and TV themes in the 60’s and 70’s. Suppose you could say it’s from the USA but he is Argentinian.

Back