Full Metal Jacket

Heard a canny story that the actor who plays Drill Sgt Hartman was an ex army drill instructor, and was originally there as a consultant for the bloke who was cast in the role. The actor couldn't get it as good as Sgt Hartman so they asked him to play the role instead. Dunno if that's true though
It is

You can also tell from the road markings that the training was filmed in the UK

It is

You can also tell from the road markings that the training was filmed in the UK

The bits in Vietnam was filmed in London as well. Think near Battersea power station

The bits in Vietnam was filmed in London as well. Think near Battersea power station

I think that the video for D'You Know What I Mean by oasis used the same location as Full Metal Jacket

Heard a canny story that the actor who plays Drill Sgt Hartman was an ex army drill instructor, and was originally there as a consultant for the bloke who was cast in the role. The actor couldn't get it as good as Sgt Hartman so they asked him to play the role instead. Dunno if that's true though

100% true

I think that the video for D'You Know What I Mean by oasis used the same location as Full Metal Jacket

Everything was filmed in the UK. They used some stock footage of the American countryside but otherwise all UK locations. A large amount of it was filmed in the London Docklands

Last edited:

In fact, it's even better than that

"R. Lee Ermey went to director Stanley Kubrick and asked for the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann. In his opinion, the actors on the set were not up to snuff. When Kubrick declined, Ermey barked an order for Kubrick to stand up when he was spoken to, and the director instinctively obeyed. Ermey got the role."

In fact, it's even better than that

"R. Lee Ermey went to director Stanley Kubrick and asked for the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann. In his opinion, the actors on the set were not up to snuff. When Kubrick declined, Ermey barked an order for Kubrick to stand up when he was spoken to, and the director instinctively obeyed. Ermey got the role."

Brilliant that like

The fat bloke put on shed loads of weight for the part.

The second half of the film was filmed first and wasn't as good
@PrivatePile

@Private Gomer Pyle

The Vietnamese female sniper was a cockernee.

And the prossies had cockernee accents.

Last edited:

This is absolute bollocks.

Ermey was in the Marines not the army.

Matthew Modine said Ermey stayed in character (well he wasn’t really acting that’s how he went on) throughout the production and would scream at the squad and treat them like grunts even when the cameras weren’t rolling. He was a heavy smoker with rotten teeth and his breath rammed so bad they couldn’t get near him.

Kubrick hates flying so tries to do all his films in London. The Vietnamese hooker has a really bad cockney/gook accent. Her “me so horny” was used as a sample in a popular 2 Love Crew song.

This is absolute bollocks.

Ermey was in the Marines not the army.

Matthew Modine said Ermey stayed in character (well he wasn’t really acting that’s how he went on) throughout the production and would scream at the squad and treat them like grunts even when the cameras weren’t rolling. He was a heavy smoker with rotten teeth and his breath rammed so bad they couldn’t get near him.

Kubrick hates flying so tries to do all his films in London. The Vietnamese hooker has a really bad cockney/gook accent. Her “me so horny” was used as a sample in a popular 2 Love Crew song.
You do know gook is a racist term, and pretty offensive, with you involved in many of the racism threads, was surprised to hear it used.

100% true

Everything was filmed in the UK. They used some stock footage of the American countryside but otherwise all UK locations. A large amount of it was filmed in the London Docklands
Training was filmed at Bassingbourn Barracks in Cambridgeshire. At the time it was Depot Queens Division. I served with quite a few lads who were ‘extras’ in the movie, not that they were paid for their services like. Also had relatives who were instructors there. I’ve ran around the airfield there once or twice.

According to director John Boorman, Stanley Kubrick wanted to cast Bill McKinney in the role of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. However, Kubrick was so unsettled after viewing McKinney's performance in Deliverance (1972) that he declined to meet with him, saying he was simply too frightened at the idea of being in McKinney's presence. Kubrick then hired Tim Colceri to play Hartman. Colceri never got to play the role, as former US Marine Corps Drill Instructor R. Lee Ermey, consultant for the Marine Corps boot camp portion of the film, performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges. Stanley Kubrick was so impressed that he cast Ermey as Hartman. Colceri was bitter but accepted Kubrick's consolation prize of a small role as a helicopter door-gunner.

Thor’d from IMDB, loads of other interesting trivia anarl
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - IMDb

ITV4 seems to have been showing it every couple of weeks for a while now. They've obviously got the tv rights at the moment and they're getting their money's worth.

Be careful to look at the running time though, they've been trimming the film down to suit whatever slot they have to fill. One of the showings a month or so ago was only about 70 minutes long once you account for the adverts. The film had been killed worse than Cowboy

The second half of the film was filmed first and wasn't as good
I'm a big fan of Kubrick films but that's one flaw which effects a number of his films - he seems to treat them as a 2-act play and have different approaches to the two parts and one part always seems to end up better than the other.

With The Shining it was the other way around.
The family's isolation in a haunted hotel and Jack slow descent into madness is way better than the stalk and slash second half.

Last edited:
Training was filmed at Bassingbourn Barracks in Cambridgeshire. At the time it was Depot Queens Division. I served with quite a few lads who were ‘extras’ in the movie, not that they were paid for their services like. Also had relatives who were instructors there. I’ve ran around the airfield there once or twice.
I did my basic there. Broke the record for the 1.5mile round the airfield anarl.

Back