Fruit Machines

I have absolutely no idea how they work beyond sticking money in and pressing the button that flashes.

I reckon 90% of people who actually play them know no more than me
Once you play a few you’ve played them all. Only subtle differences with a different skin on.

Lukas73

Winger
Couple of quid here and there in the boozer over the years win the odd tenner....get a few drinks, move in...

They’re all too confusing these days, wouldn’t have a clue

Love a bit Deal or No Deal on a bandit. Until the £100 goes and Noel is looking down on you with that fucking smirk on his face
They have a deal or no deal one in the pub we goto on a Thursday for the quiz. As I dont drink (driving) I usually stick £5 in if no one else is on. Won the jackpot (£100) 2 weeks in a row. Got £50 last week too

yamar1

Striker
Used to work on the sites with a lad who was bad on them like. He genuinely saw them as a way of making more money. His lass eventually stopped him bringing his bank card to work on a Friday when our wages went in and gave him £20 pocket money for the afternoon on the drink after our early Friday finish. He'd nearly always buy one pint and put the rest in the bandit, sometimes win, mostly lose and end up borrowing off the lads and paying them back on monday. Total mugs game. He would go to the bookies or nearest bar or amusements on his dinner to play the bandits. Terrible addiction really
Are you sure it was your "mate"? ;)

They have a deal or no deal one in the pub we goto on a Thursday for the quiz. As I dont drink (driving) I usually stick £5 in if no one else is on. Won the jackpot (£100) 2 weeks in a row. Got £50 last week too
Gamblers only tell you about the wins.

Last edited:
They used to be so easy in the 80s. Only feature was nudges and wins over £3 in tokens. Occasionally put a £1 in the machine if I’m waiting in the pub, but no more as they are to complicated.

Quiz machines were more fun, as you felt there was an element of skill and knowledge.

Amnorrageordie

Midfield
Years ago I bumped into a lad in the town who i’d last saw around an hour earlier in wearside college. He was muttering to himself and was going on fucking weird. I asked if he was ok, he said not really i’ve just blew my wages on the bandits. It was payday.
He was shaking like a shitting dog, I dunno if that was off the fear due to losing the money or withdrawal symptoms because he couldn’t play them for another week but it was fucking grim. I gave him his bus fare home and made sure the twat got on rather that bolting straight back to nobles or wherever.

Awful fucking things.
Did you buy him a pasty anarl?

Redandwhitedust

Goalkeeper
They used to be so easy in the 80s. Only feature was nudges and wins over £3 in tokens. Occasionally put a £1 in the machine if I’m waiting in the pub, but no more as they are to complicated.

Quiz machines were more fun, as you felt there was an element of skill and knowledge.
Loved a good quiz machine, though the amount of skill was debatable. You just knew when it wasnt going to give you anything when it asked you questions like "what is the population of Vienna" or "what is celine dions birthday".

But at least 50p got you a bit of entertainment

offshore

Midfield
I once put a quid in the bandit at the club and won the jackpot £100 and a bloke who played it non stop went mental saying I'd won his money and he only went for a pint and was still playing.... Had to split the money with me old man like and got evil eyes of the bloke all afternoon!!!! Think that was only the second time I'd ever put money in one and never again... The bandit is the club's best member....

Gibraltar Mackem

Goalkeeper
Cheers pal. I'd have never have guessed that so don't feel so thick for asking.
They'll be a thing of the past in less than a year. Maximum stake has been reduced from £100 to £2 in recent weeks - it'll be the beginning of the end for high street bookmakers.

Fully behind them being slowly cut out, they're a horrible addiction.