Fruit Machines

Redandwhitedust

Goalkeeper
After reading the post on here about Scratch Cards, I wondered if anyone on here plays fruit machines in pubs any more?

I haven't played one in years, thought I might chance a few quid in one the other day. Saw it was a quid a spin and walked away.

How can anyone justify paying a pound to press a button is beyond me

Used to be addicted to gambling, fruit machines and FOBTS. All gambling is a mugs game as everyone knows but if you’ve got a problem then you’re not playing for the money, you’re playing for the rush. It all goes back in eventually.

Have been gamble free (on the most part, occasional sports bet) for a few years now. Got a lot of mates who jump on them in the pub and it just seems mad now, the money they put in.

Used to be addicted to gambling, fruit machines and FOBTS. All gambling is a mugs game as everyone knows but if you’ve got a problem then you’re not playing for the money, you’re playing for the rush. It all goes back in eventually.

Have been gamble free (on the most part, occasional sports bet) for a few years now. Got a lot of mates who jump on them in the pub and it just seems mad now, the money they put in.
Used to work on the sites with a lad who was bad on them like. He genuinely saw them as a way of making more money. His lass eventually stopped him bringing his bank card to work on a Friday when our wages went in and gave him £20 pocket money for the afternoon on the drink after our early Friday finish. He'd nearly always buy one pint and put the rest in the bandit, sometimes win, mostly lose and end up borrowing off the lads and paying them back on monday. Total mugs game. He would go to the bookies or nearest bar or amusements on his dinner to play the bandits. Terrible addiction really

cluffy

Striker

I won a load on the fobts the other day :lol:

joemcdokes

Striker
After reading the post on here about Scratch Cards, I wondered if anyone on here plays fruit machines in pubs any more?

I haven't played one in years, thought I might chance a few quid in one the other day. Saw it was a quid a spin and walked away.

How can anyone justify paying a pound to press a button is beyond me
Some pay a few pounds to drink Carling.

Ken Tishtown

Goalkeeper

Nowt wrong with playing for the rush IMO

Spending a Saturday afternoon in the pub with the lads waiting on a £10 acc for £1k is a good laugh.

Better than getting on the spice for a rush

Used to work on the sites with a lad who was bad on them like. He genuinely saw them as a way of making more money. His lass eventually stopped him bringing his bank card to work on a Friday when our wages went in and gave him £20 pocket money for the afternoon on the drink after our early Friday finish. He'd nearly always buy one pint and put the rest in the bandit, sometimes win, mostly lose and end up borrowing off the lads and paying them back on monday. Total mugs game. He would go to the bookies or nearest bar or amusements on his dinner to play the bandits. Terrible addiction really
Yeah sounds like me and I’m sure many others. It’s an absolute shit addiction and I’m very lucky to somehow stop it. I’m still not sure how I did. I was playing them everyday and it was all that mattered to me. One morning I just woke up and said enoughs enough. Many others out there don’t have that moment/will power however.

It’s an addiction that people can’t see and addicts can hide. That’s the worst part about it.

Nowt wrong with playing for the rush IMO

Spending a Saturday afternoon in the pub with the lads waiting on a £10 acc for £1k is a good laugh.

Better than getting on the spice for a rush
I didn’t say there was, however that situation’s hardly the same as putting hundreds in a bandit or FOBT though is it? Doesn’t sound like addict behaviour.

I won a load on the fobts the other day :lol:
I have in the past too. Problem is the win makes me want to play them again and again so it all goes back and more. Means I can’t touch them all together (which ain’t a bad thing really).

Last edited:

Ken Tishtown

Goalkeeper
Yeah sounds like me and I’m sure many others. It’s an absolute shit addiction and I’m very lucky to somehow stop it. I’m still not sure how I did. I was playing them everyday and it was all that mattered to me. One morning I just woke up and said enoughs enough. Many others out there don’t have that moment/will power however.

It’s an addiction that people can’t see and addicts can hide. That’s the worst part about it.

I didn’t say there was, however that situation’s hardly the same as putting hundreds in a bandit or FOBT though is it? Doesn’t sound like addict behaviour.

I have in the past too. Problem is the win makes me want to play them again and again so it all goes back and more. Means I can’t touch them all together (which ain’t a bad thing really).
My post was pretty clear mate - I was very specifically talking about a daft Accra.

Years ago I bumped into a lad in the town who i’d last saw around an hour earlier in wearside college. He was muttering to himself and was going on fucking weird. I asked if he was ok, he said not really i’ve just blew my wages on the bandits. It was payday.
He was shaking like a shitting dog, I dunno if that was off the fear due to losing the money or withdrawal symptoms because he couldn’t play them for another week but it was fucking grim. I gave him his bus fare home and made sure the twat got on rather that bolting straight back to nobles or wherever.

Awful fucking things.

Years ago I bumped into a lad in the town who i’d last saw around an hour earlier in wearside college. He was muttering to himself and was going on fucking weird. I asked if he was ok, he said not really i’ve just blew my wages on the bandits. It was payday.
He was shaking like a shitting dog, I dunno if that was off the fear due to losing the money or withdrawal symptoms because he couldn’t play them for another week but it was fucking grim. I gave him his bus fare home and made sure the twat got on rather that bolting straight back to nobles or wherever.

Awful fucking things.
That was the shakes from doing his bollocks on the machines. Knowing what a fucking idiot he is, but in a few days will forget that feeling and want to do it all over again.

Worked with a bloke previously who I used to go in the bookies with at lunchtime and one day we went in and he was doing £50 “mega spins” on the FOBTs. Lost over 500 quid in under half an hour even with me trying to convince him to leave and cut his losses. When we went back to the office he was shaking like fuck. That money was to service his motor (which was fucked).

__howdy__

Winger
I have absolutely no idea how they work beyond sticking money in and pressing the button that flashes.

I reckon 90% of people who actually play them know no more than me