Frozen shoulder

Some people advocate rest, others try to use the arm and shoulder in order to gradually ease the joint and muscles. It depends how bad it is of course. Some stretching and ultimately swimming will help as it will gradually restore the movement, but it may take time before you can contemplate this.

GP diagnosed me with frozen shoulder, Physio said it was a trapped nerve. Hospital eventually after a couple of years of pain and sleepless nights did a keyhole op to work out what was wrong. Turned out it was a labrum tear and detached tendon.

Had it in both shoulders at the same time, the right shoulder was really bad and lasted about 18 months, the left for about 9 months. I looked like a right tart throwing the ball underarm for the dog to chase.

Had it in both shoulders at the same time, the right shoulder was really bad and lasted about 18 months, the left for about 9 months. I looked like a right tart throwing the ball underarm for the dog to chase.
How the hell did you cope? I am in more pain now than I have even been in and that includes when I was critically I’ll last year.

First shoulder I had like this, the NHS referred me to a private physio practice and they used some microwave type device to make my shoulder really hot and then manipulated it. I’d had the problem for a year or so, so it may have been “due” to get better but they sorted it in 2 sessions.

The other shoulder went a couple of years later and all the NHS physio was interested in was discharging me off his list. He had a standard list of questions such as can you get dressed unaided, can you walk 100 yards etc which of course I answered yes too, so he insisted I was okay, even though I was hardly any better than the first time I saw them. This went on for a few sessions until I realised that they weren’t going to give me any help beyond the standard set of printed out exercises to do.

In both instances, GP sent me for xray first to look for bone growth, then offered me choice of injection or physio.

FWIW, both shoulders are fine now.

Yes, didn't know why, but realised it stemmed from a bad jarring from a takeout door, about 3 months prior.

Had it for 9 months, tried doctors and consultants. Futile.

One day I woke up and it had disappeared.
I ve had a couple first one was from diving playing cricket . Thought id not play again, went down to first indoor net thinking id have to tap out and bowling cured it overnight 😄
Had the second one for about two years up and down. Got some physio advice about shoulder exercise using bands starting from almost no resistance. Sorted it with about 6 weeks daily exercise . Has a lot to do with shoulder blade retraction .
Some people advocate rest, others try to use the arm and shoulder in order to gradually ease the joint and muscles. It depends how bad it is of course. Some stretching and ultimately swimming will help as it will gradually restore the movement, but it may take time before you can contemplate this.
Only do what causes no pain, but do it.

Last edited:
How the hell did you cope? I am in more pain now than I have even been in and that includes when I was critically I’ll last year.
The left wasn't too bad, it was the right that gave me the most pain. Lifting my arm above shoulder height was almost impossible. I was sent for physio, the first appointment was a consultation the second was cancelled because the physio was off ill. On the third appointment no one turned up at all so I lost a days pay for nothing, I just said fuck them and didn't go back for any more appointments.

The left wasn't too bad, it was the right that gave me the most pain. Lifting my arm above shoulder height was almost impossible. I was sent for physio, the first appointment was a consultation the second was cancelled because the physio was off ill. On the third appointment no one turned up at all so I lost a days pay for nothing, I just said fuck them and didn't go back for any more appointments.

I wish I could lift my arm that high, around 8 inches from my waste is all I can manage.

I wish I could lift my arm that high, around 8 inches from my waste is all I can manage.

Obviously you need a proper assesment first, but I know that once the first physio - the one who did a good job had assessed me, he had me pushing through that pain and raising my arm literally in agony and tears.
The pain definitely stops you doing it as it feels like you are doing more damage, but he insisted this was the only way to get it fully mobile again. You may have a totally different injury to mine of course, so don't treat this as advice!

Had it for a couple of months in my right shoulder, it's a bugger when you're right-handed, and your job depends on you using tools all day, mind, they say the quickest way to heal it is to use it.
I think that's right. I had it twice. First time lasted about a year. Second time, after about a few months, I needed to lift about 100 slabs, carry and and hoy them in a skip. I forced myself through the pain barrier and within days noticed it had eased massively and was gone completely in a couple of weeks. Of course that might have happened without the aid of the slabs but I've also noticed with back pain that pushing through it, although agony, seems to help.

Back