From a Crystal Palace Forum re: PVA....

Status
Not open for further replies.

People often ignore how well the whole defence was protected last season. Kaboul and Kone didn't suddenly turn into top class centre halves as well. What we had in front of them simply limited how often they were exposed and if they were we done everything possible to correct it. Catts, Kirchhoff, M'vila done an awful lot to deny the opposition time and space, to cover and to mop up. People forgot it was organised but pretty dire till we let the shackles off right at the end of the season as the Everton and Chelsea games clouded the memory.
This. I remember saying early this season when my mates were criticising Djilibodji, although they were and are justified, he has no protection. Djilibodji cut out about 6 crosses against Crystal Palace in the first 15 minutes, and by the law of averages he is going to make a mistake having that amount of defending to do! So many crosses and through balls they have to deal with compared to 2nd half of last season.

This. I remember saying early this season when my mates were criticising Djilibodji, although they were and are justified, he has no protection. Djilibodji cut out about 6 crosses against Crystal Palace in the first 15 minutes, and by the law of averages he is going to make a mistake having that amount of defending to do! So many crosses and through balls they have to deal with compared to 2nd half of last season.
Exactly. The protection in front of the CBs allowed them to cover PvA in particular as well. Kaboul did a great job of this. With little to no effective protection in front of them they are being exposed and PvA's wanderings leave gaping holes down that side.

At the moment we'd be better off with an average full back who sticks to defending first and foremost.

Exactly. The protection in front of the CBs allowed them to cover PvA in particular as well. Kaboul did a great job of this. With little to no effective protection in front of them they are being exposed and PvA's wanderings leave gaping holes down that side.

At the moment we'd be better off with an average full back who sticks to defending first and foremost.

We would be no bteer off. We are nowehere near good enough defensively with or without PVA and we wouildnt create a single chance in a game without his input up the left hand side. We may concede very sligghtly less but the opposition would only need to score one to win every week.

I like PVA and think he gets some unfair stick on here but he has his limits.

His form and possible attitude over the last month has been horrid so if there over 10 million on offer then it has to be something we take. Its unfortunate that today if a player no longer fancies it at your club then you simply have to sell.

Few journos in last 5 mins saying 7 mill

I really don't get the point in selling him like

We have virtually no players, and are selling one of the few ones who can actually win us a game.

He did when he won us our last game.

How many games has Billy Jones and Donald Love won for us?
we turned down £7m man......

We would be no bteer off. We are nowehere near good enough defensively with or without PVA and we wouildnt create a single chance in a game without his input up the left hand side. We may concede very sligghtly less but the opposition would only need to score one to win every week.
Build from the back mate. I didn't say I'd only want an average LB and nothing else. Just that we need to have a solid defence and then work from there. Sam achieved this by having Jan, Yann and Catts infront of them. Through injuries and stupid decisions Moyes doesn't have that same protection there so to my mind the first step is replacing our wayward left back. Then sort the midfield out.... perhaps it frees up whoever is left wing to not have to cover back quite so much???

Add to that his seemingly poor or at least worsening attitude/form over the past few weeks and I'm happy to let him go for £12m.

It's not like. He's been poor defensively who ever has been in front of him.
He was marginally better with Khazri infront of him (and Kaboul inside of him)..... but we know Moyes isn't going to play Wahbi so it matters little.

Last edited:
I like PVA and think he gets some unfair stick on here but he has his limits.

His form and possible attitude over the last month has been horrid so if there over 10 million on offer then it has to be something we take. Its unfortunate that today if a player no longer fancies it at your club then you simply have to sell.

His limits being basic defending?

How long ago was that??? :lol:

How many games is he supposed to win for us from left back

Some of our fans absolutely mad like

You'll be the first one to moan when we play billy jones at left back against spurs

Total hypocrite

His limits being basic defending?

He's better than almost all our other defenders

And you want to sell him to a team 1 place above us

f***ing class idea that mate

You'll be the first one to moan when we play billy jones at left back against spurs

Total hypocrite

He's better than almost all our other defenders

And you want to sell him to a team 1 place above us

f***ing class idea that mate

He's not better defensively than any of them

Whey he's not. We need to get the basics right at the back first of all and then build from that.

Look at his performances defensively and they're absolutely not good enough.

Insane how we've gone from M'Vila, Cattermole and Kirchhoff to Larsson, Rodwell and Denayer. And we barely stayed up last season man :lol:

Insane how we've gone from M'Vila, Cattermole and Kirchhoff to Larsson, Rodwell and Denayer. And we barely stayed up last season man :lol:
And when Denayer hasn't been in midfield, O'Shea or McNair

By playing Honeyman on Saturday, that was our 1st game of the season one of these 3 defenders haven't started in midfield for us:). That's mental

Total hypocrite

HP? :lol: and you're mad as a box of frogs yay man.... ;)

PVA has been culpable in SAFC losing quite a few games...

For me, he is one of the most frustrating players I've had the pleasure to watch playing for SAFC (bar maybe Rodwell and Watmore). Like I said, great going forward, but very poor at defending. More often than not he'll get in good attacking positions and chose the wrong option or make a total hash of his final ball. He's to casual (particularly with his passing) and has no positional sense what-so-ever.

We need a player with attributes opposite to him at the moment i.e. defend first. Until we tighten up and stop conceding goals, we are going to have no chance of winning any games, or even getting draws.

If BSA get get a tune out of him then fair enough, but I don't think it matters who our manager was/is, he'd still want to be away.

If you can't see this then it's confirmation of what I already know, you are a complete WUM!

He's a decent full back

Would do well in a better team, not sure how much better Palace are though

Sam got him to do defending basics last year here... Even tho he prefers not to.

Moyes can't impose that will on him, so prolly a good deal for both clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back