Fridge freezer.................

Load of bollocks....ask for a new one.
In my last house i had the fridge freezer in the garsge.....which WAS baltic, and never had any problem.
Doing what its doing, it means you are essentially defrosting and refreezing your foods....every night. Not good.
Honestly mate, ask for a new one.

I'm glad everyone else doesn't believe it either.
Imagine how crackers it sent me.
I thought you just plugged them in and they worked no matter what the room temp was.
You can get ones that work in extreme cold becko do a range.
I thought the engineer bloke was just lazy or hungover and couldn't be botherd to fix it.
But i spent yesterday googling and it's a thing.
I think you've made me feel a bit better @CatRyan knowing you've thrown a perfectly good fridge freezer out aswell.

I had the same problem. I put our old fridge freezer in the shed when we got a new one, and stocked the freezer bit with over 100 quids worth of sea fishing bait. Wasn't a very nice smell the first time I opened the door.

Bit of a weird one this.......well i think so.
Would wake up some mornings and my sausage(ooooer missus) would be soft in the freezer.
Then hard in the afternoons,with no settings changed to the freezer.
This went on for a week or so and was sending me mental,not knowing what was causing it.
Tried defrosting then turning back on chanign fuse wall socket etc.
Only had it just over two month so with it beign in warrenty i rang for someone to come out.
told him what was happening and he didnt even open his toolbox.
Said"it's ambient air"
Because i don't have a radiator in the kitchen,it gets pretty cold.
So at night the air is cold enough to fool the fridge into thinking it doesn't need to start up.
I asked so what do all the other people do who have this kind of problem.
He said i could put it in another room,I said i cant have the freezer in the sitting room when im watchign the telly.
He shrugged said nowt he could do and left.
Which means every time it's cold my sausages go soft and theres nowt i can do about i.
Has this happened to anyone else and did you manage to fool the temperature sensor.
So that your food didn't defrost.
He said my problem was very common but didn't give any suggestions other than a different room.
But what other room could you put it in other than a kitchen and not look mental?
Maybe i should just use the fridge and not freeze owt until the summer.
Bit of a long post this.......................but it really did send me a bit mental trying to figure it out.
my freezer (freezer only) is in the garage and has still worked through all the cold weather, talking shite I reckon

I think he said 8 anything lower would fool the fridge into not starting up.
But it does get really cold in there at night with no radiator,not that i'd leave a radiator on just for my fridge.
Upto now the only thought i've had is.....................leave the fridge door open a few times before bed so the freezer works until the morning.
The reason i bought a new one was...this happened to the previous one so i thought it was knackerd.
I bet he wasn't even an engineer he's been a chancer who's seen the door open and wanted a look about.
Its not that it "fools" the freezer, its that the system can't work under certain temps.

If your kitchen gets that cold you need to look for a freezer listed as okay for use in outbuildings (eg on Currys website its one of the search criteria, bit its only 44 out of 384 freezers). I only found this out a while ago when mine misbehaved, suspect manufacturers don't make a big deal out of it cos mentioning it would highlight how crap their standard models are.

If it's any consolation I replaced my fridge freezer in that cold snap and it sounds like it was the same thing.
If had a new kitchen fitted round my old fridge freezer too and the new one is narrower so I have an annoying gap.

Perfect parking spot for an ironing board

Bit of a weird one this.......well i think so.
Would wake up some mornings and my sausage(ooooer missus) would be soft in the freezer.
Then hard in the afternoons,with no settings changed to the freezer.
This went on for a week or so and was sending me mental,not knowing what was causing it.
Tried defrosting then turning back on chanign fuse wall socket etc.
Only had it just over two month so with it beign in warrenty i rang for someone to come out.
told him what was happening and he didnt even open his toolbox.
Said"it's ambient air"
Because i don't have a radiator in the kitchen,it gets pretty cold.
So at night the air is cold enough to fool the fridge into thinking it doesn't need to start up.
I asked so what do all the other people do who have this kind of problem.
He said i could put it in another room,I said i cant have the freezer in the sitting room when im watchign the telly.
He shrugged said nowt he could do and left.
Which means every time it's cold my sausages go soft and theres nowt i can do about i.
Has this happened to anyone else and did you manage to fool the temperature sensor.
So that your food didn't defrost.
He said my problem was very common but didn't give any suggestions other than a different room.
But what other room could you put it in other than a kitchen and not look mental?
Maybe i should just use the fridge and not freeze owt until the summer.
Bit of a long post this.......................but it really did send me a bit mental trying to figure it out.
Had same issue, ended up having to move the freezer out of the kitchen, no other real solution tbh

Had same issue, ended up having to move the freezer out of the kitchen, no other real solution tbh
Where did you move it to?
Seems only a few on here have had the same problem,but the bloke who came out said it's dead common.
And during the cold weather most of his call outs are the same issue.

Where did you move it to?
Seems only a few on here have had the same problem,but the bloke who came out said it's dead common.
And during the cold weather most of his call outs are the same issue.

If the fridge temp is adjustable you can try setting that to it's lowest (if not already) and it would mean the fridge would start up more often even with a lower ambient temp (which in turn keeps the freezer colder).

Freezers have a minimum room temperature. But I doubt your kitchen reaches it.
An issue with single compressor fridge freezers.
Probably not a lot of two compressor units on the market now without paying a fortune.
***Just Found Gorenje manufacture them, cheaper the Meile and Liebherr***
Best thing is next winter use a convector heater with a frost stat.

Last edited:
If the fridge temp is adjustable you can try setting that to it's lowest (if not already) and it would mean the fridge would start up more often even with a lower ambient temp (which in turn keeps the freezer colder).
I tried turning it up to the highest but didn't think about a lower setting,are you sure a lower setting would make it work more?
Is it not an option to get a permanent heating solution in the kitchen?
Just seems a bit daft getting some sort of heater in there just to keep the fridge happy.

Back