Free car insurance

I would be asking Mid on a daily basis, because as Duffman says, once the policy is cancelled your vehicle will be getting seized no doubt about it. Don't forget to start a 'My vehicle was seized thread' when the inevitable happens.
askMID

I explained this to my insurers on the phone and was put through to the renewals department, who then explained that payment had been made and there wasn’t much else they could do(or be bothered to do).
TBF most 'customer services'people are sitting in front of a screen that tells them what to ask, and this dictates what action they can take. (Computer says no etc.) Your case is probably outside the scope of what their computer programme deals with, and the few hundred quid they could recoup by sorting it would not go 2% of the way towards the cost of reprogramming. Bank probs just swallowed the costs.
So result for you then!;)

Last edited:
Bought a new car last year went to change insurance but existing co wanted silly money so cancelled got refund and took out new policy with different company, went to pay with my debit card and would not go thro for some reason,my mate who was with me offered his card and I transferred the moneys to him. Fast forward 12 months and my insurance auto renewed to his card, he rang me and told me he’d informed his bank to cancel payment as it was unauthorised, they told him the payment may still come out but they’d refund him, which is what happened. So I call my insurance to make payment and they inform me payment has been collected and I’m fully covered. This is over a week ago my mate has his money back and I’m still insured. Have I got lucky or am I going to Durham to be big Shirley’s new bitch?

blimey. out of breath reading that

No insurable interest for your marra as they don't own the vehicle. As soon as he gets the coin back, your vehicle will not be covered. Surprised they let your marra pay in the 1st place.

Pretty sure when I studied the Road Traffic Act for my sergeants exams that your insurance only becomes invalid only when the insurance company cancels it. So you sre covered, although your mate might be committing an offence as he knows that he has been refunded for a service that is still being performed. Obtaining a pecuniary advantage.
Maybe some of the resident British cops on here could inform you better @duff_man
Why would his mate be committing an offence? He’s asked for a refund from his bank for a payment taken incorrectly, the fact the insurance company have ballsed up and his mates benefiting from it has nothing to do with him. He wouldn’t be able to contac the insurance company anyway as discussing his mates account they be breaking GDPR.

Get some practice using your ‘prison wallet’ they all want iPhones and half a kilo of spice smuggling these days iirc.

If (when) your insurance company pay your mate back your policy will be cancelled and your car will show up as uninsured on the PNC , so avoid any ANPR cameras or your car will end up getting seized and you’ll be paying £100 a day storage fees in the police pound!

Get a letter sent out. In fact get 2 identical letters and keep one in your car in case you're stopped. Im not saying you have committed fraud but if youve changed payments and cancelled cards etc it may come across like that.

You definitely don't want to be done for insurance fraud. You won't be able to get insurance and it'll affect your credit as well.

Send the insurance company an email telling them the situation offering to pay using a different card, tell them about the phone calls and request an email saying that you are insured, show it to the popo if you get stopped.

As soon as the mates card is refunded the insurance company will void the insurance, they can’t do this retrospectively but when they do it you will be uninsured from that point. They might not even tell you they are cancelling it but they probably will because they will still want your custom. I have seen loads of uninsured drivers because the company have cancelled the policy because direct debits have failed etc.

The mates card has been refunded in full, I’ve also spoke to my insurance company who has informed me that they would not just cancel a policy without trying to contact the customer to collect payment if there was a problem. I explained the situation and they told me payment had been made.

Get a letter sent out. In fact get 2 identical letters and keep one in your car in case you're stopped. Im not saying you have committed fraud but if youve changed payments and cancelled cards etc it may come across like that.

You definitely don't want to be done for insurance fraud. You won't be able to get insurance and it'll affect your credit as well.

You’ve not read the op have you?

TBF most 'customer services'people are sitting in front of a screen that tells them what to ask, and this dictates what action they can take. (Computer says no etc.) Your case is probably outside the scope of what their computer programme deals with, and the few hundred quid they could recoup by sorting it would not go 2% of the way towards the cost of reprogramming. Bank probs just swallowed the costs.
So result for you then!;)

That’s the kind of answer I had in mind cheers pal.

Get some practice using your ‘prison wallet’ they all want iPhones and half a kilo of spice smuggling these days iirc.

You wanna stretch me don’t ya? Think am gonna play hard to get on this one :D:eek:

Last edited:
The mates card has been refunded in full, I’ve also spoke to my insurance company who has informed me that they would not just cancel a policy without trying to contact the customer to collect payment if there was a problem. I explained the situation and they told me payment had been made.

You’ve not read the op have you?

That’s the kind of answer I had in mind cheers pal.

You wanna stretch me don’t ya? Think am gonna play hard to get on this one :D:eek:

If your mates card has been refunded and no money has been paid by you then the insurance company haven’t been paid. It might also flag as fraud if a policy has been paid for with a card which has then had to be refunded for unauthorised use. I know a lot of insurance companies in those circumstances would cancel the policy immediately. If I was you I would be very careful, someone earlier mentioned about the askmid website, that usually takes a couple of days to get updated so don’t rely on that. If you are stopped while driving and the policy has been cancelled then it is down to you, even if the insurance company have cancelled the policy. Minimum of 6 points, a fine and your car seized.

If your mates card has been refunded and no money has been paid by you then the insurance company haven’t been paid. It might also flag as fraud if a policy has been paid for with a card which has then had to be refunded for unauthorised use. I know a lot of insurance companies in those circumstances would cancel the policy immediately. If I was you I would be very careful, someone earlier mentioned about the askmid website, that usually takes a couple of days to get updated so don’t rely on that. If you are stopped while driving and the policy has been cancelled then it is down to you, even if the insurance company have cancelled the policy. Minimum of 6 points, a fine and your car seized.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this,but as I’ve said I’ve phoned my insurers and explained the whole situation with my friend and it being his card. My mate has also explained to his bank the circumstances around me using his card last year for the one off payment. They have refunded him in FULL and my insurers told me that they don’t need any payment as it’s been received.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this,but as I’ve said I’ve phoned my insurers and explained the whole situation with my friend and it being his card. My mate has also explained to his bank the circumstances around me using his card last year for the one off payment. They have refunded him in FULL and my insurers told me that they don’t need any payment as it’s been received.
As long as you can prove it..

As long as you can prove it..

Well they told me all calls are recorded and they will have it on record that I’ve explained and offered payment that’s all I can do, unless I call them tomorrow and tell them I’m sending £510 on the back of a scabby donkey and I will not accept returns?

Back