Free car insurance

REDM1ST

Midfield
Bought a new car last year went to change insurance but existing co wanted silly money so cancelled got refund and took out new policy with different company, went to pay with my debit card and would not go thro for some reason,my mate who was with me offered his card and I transferred the moneys to him. Fast forward 12 months and my insurance auto renewed to his card, he rang me and told me he’d informed his bank to cancel payment as it was unauthorised, they told him the payment may still come out but they’d refund him, which is what happened. So I call my insurance to make payment and they inform me payment has been collected and I’m fully covered. This is over a week ago my mate has his money back and I’m still insured. Have I got lucky or am I going to Durham to be big Shirley’s new bitch?

Bought a new car last year went to change insurance but existing co wanted silly money so cancelled got refund and took out new policy with different company, went to pay with my debit card and would not go thro for some reason,my mate who was with me offered his card and I transferred the moneys to him. Fast forward 12 months and my insurance auto renewed to his card, he rang me and told me he’d informed his bank to cancel payment as it was unauthorised, they told him the payment may still come out but they’d refund him, which is what happened. So I call my insurance to make payment and they inform me payment has been collected and I’m fully covered. This is over a week ago my mate has his money back and I’m still insured. Have I got lucky or am I going to Durham to be big Shirley’s new bitch?

Pretty sure when I studied the Road Traffic Act for my sergeants exams that your insurance only becomes invalid only when the insurance company cancels it. So you sre covered, although your mate might be committing an offence as he knows that he has been refunded for a service that is still being performed. Obtaining a pecuniary advantage.
Maybe some of the resident British cops on here could inform you better @duff_man

Pretty sure when I studied the Road Traffic Act for my sergeants exams that your insurance only becomes invalid only when the insurance company cancels it. So you sre covered, although your mate might be committing an offence as he knows that he has been refunded for a service that is still being performed. Obtaining a pecuniary advantage.
Maybe some of the resident British cops on here could inform you better @duff_man

I explained this to my insurers on the phone and was put through to the renewals department, who then explained that payment had been made and there wasn’t much else they could do(or be bothered to do).

I would get the insurance company to confirm it in writing before I felt safe. Even better email them explaining the situation and if they reply saying all is ok then great.

All that’s happened is the chargeback made by your friend hasn’t registered with the insurance company yet. Once it does they will chase u for it and if u don’t pay them cancel your policy

Is it worth the hassle? Ring them and tell them the craic. Last thing u need is to have an accident and the shit hits the fan.

I would get the insurance company to confirm it in writing before I felt safe. Even better email them explaining the situation and if they reply saying all is ok then great.

Got an email off them and they told me they would call me if anything changes. Also all phone calls I believe are recorded.

All that’s happened is the chargeback made by your friend hasn’t registered with the insurance company yet. Once it does they will chase u for it and if u don’t pay them cancel your policy

That’s what I thought but it’s been over a week.

Is it worth the hassle? Ring them and tell them the craic. Last thing u need is to have an accident and the shit hits the fan.

I’ve rang them twice

Last edited:
The best thing to do is for @REDM1ST to hold a poll on here. We all vote who thinks you’re safe or who thinks they’ll fuck you over.
Once it’s closed (say a week) then crash your car.
Tell us the outcome and then we will finally know what who’s right and wrong.

I think the insurance company is gonna worm out of it if they are ever called upon

they'll know about it eventually will just be in the system

either that or they'll use it as an excuse not to pay out when they notice should you ever need to use the policy

The best thing to do is for @REDM1ST to hold a poll on here. We all vote who thinks you’re safe or who thinks they’ll fuck you over.
Once it’s closed (say a week) then crash your car.
Tell us the outcome and then we will finally know what who’s right and wrong.

I think the insurance company is gonna worm out of it if they are ever called upon

But if I crash my car on purpose will my policy not be void anyway? This is getting more complicated.

As soon as the mates card is refunded the insurance company will void the insurance, they can’t do this retrospectively but when they do it you will be uninsured from that point. They might not even tell you they are cancelling it but they probably will because they will still want your custom. I have seen loads of uninsured drivers because the company have cancelled the policy because direct debits have failed etc.

Back