Frank Lampard

Played some good football this season no matter if we go up or not. He's not frightened to bring players in from the academy or move on old heads like Martin & Thorn. He's improving as a manager as the seasons gone on as well, made a few mistakes but seems to learn from them. Very respectful to the club & speaks well, what money we've spent has been from selling our top scorer, problem will be money for next season, most likely have to dip into the loan market or look for bargains.

Can't see us going up but i'd be happy with the same again next season
Cheers mate. So you would rather play the long game with him and give him the opportunity to build his own side?

Sky Bets pre season odds:

Title odds first, promotion second:

Sunderland 11/4, 11/10
Barnsley 8/1, 5/2
Charlton Athletic 11/1, 10/3
Portsmouth 11/1, 10/3
Luton Town 12/1, 7/2
Scunthorpe United 12/1, 7/2
Peterborough United 16/1, 9/2
Coventry City 20/1, 6/1
Bradford City 25/1, 8/1
Bristol Rovers 28/1, 8/1
Burton Albion 28/1, 8/1
Oxford United 28/1, 8/1
Southend United 28/1, 8/1
Blackpool 33/1, 10/1
Doncaster Rovers 33/1, 10/1
Fleetwood Town 33/1, 10/1

Interesting that the top 5 ended up that way, just unfortunately not in that order and we were the worst of the 5, not the best. Scunthorpe didn't do great after reaching the playoffs last season, Bradford as well. Donny have done very well. So 12 of those 16 finished in the top half - Scunny, Bristol R, Bradford and Southend didn't.

@Botchie
I honestly didn't think we were as short as that compared to Barnsley marra. That also shows Luton were fancied a lot more than they've had credit for.

The odds shown on here at the start of the season definitely had us favourites
Barnsley were shorter odds than us after relegation
Aye, I thought that mind.

Last edited:
It’s all relative to expectations. Lampard didn’t have to contend with the overhaul Ross did. He hasn’t improved Derby whatsoever this season.
He's improved their style of play and brought through some decent youngsters. That said the 3 best players are all loans, that'll be hard to replace whatever league they're in next season. Possible they'll be able to get them back if they go up.

He’s done absolutely nothing special, about on par with the job Ross has done.
has lampard spent more than all the other teams combined-broke a trzanfers record for the division? ross signed fewere players than abrnsley-spent more doing it-saw them repeatedly sell their good players-and still couodnt finish abobve them..
lee bowyer had more dispruption and has comfotably outperformed ross.

has lampard spent more than all the other teams combined-broke a trzanfers record for the division? ross signed fewere players than abrnsley-spent more doing it-saw them repeatedly sell their good players-and still couodnt finish abobve them..
lee bowyer had more dispruption and has comfotably outperformed ross.
He didn’t need to. He already had a squad capable of finishing exactly where they have this season. Bowyer has done an excellent job at Charlton.

Lampard? So he brought in 10 players and didn’t improve their league position?
ross brought more than that and fifnt improve ours..difference is lampard was operating in the bargain basement against teams with more money...
ross was shopping at harrods compared with every other team in the league..and inheirted a sqaud with the two best players in the division..maja and mcgeady..already there..
abd he got outperformed by barnsley..who spold their better players..had a new manager..and sopent fuck all,,
by charlton..who didnt have stable ownership..had zero budget and a manager who has never had a days job security..
ross might get promotion via the play offs and thats fine,...nbut he has definitely doen one of thr wporst jobs of a manager in our league..

It’s all relative. Lampard took over a Derby side that finished in the play offs last season and were expected to do so again this season. He’s managed to scrape into the play offs again. Ross took over a side in turmoil with a massive rebuild needed. Both still have a good chance of achieving their ultimate aim. One is getting praise and one is getting slated.
Good Post marra

First season as a manager in English football. Only 40 years old, has guided Derby to the play offs and is being given huge praise for his achievement. Considering that Derby have finished around the same position for the last few years has he underachieved?

I see comparisons with Jack Ross but I'm sure that on here Lampard has done ok but Ross hasn't.

I see comparisons with Jack Ross but I'm sure that on here Lampard has done ok but Ross hasn't.
lampard hasd probably done an average job at derby..relative to the other managers in the division..and in trith there have been exceptional managerila perfornamces in bthat division..
ross has done a below avareg job..
id say ross has done as well for safc as pulis has for boro..

Cheers mate. So you would rather play the long game with him and give him the opportunity to build his own side?

I'd be happy for him to stay. Once the loan players have gone back and the old 'uns have left at the end of their contracts he's going to be left with a squad of about 12 so he's going to be busy.

Gutted to see Tomori & Mount go, absolute class the pair of them. Harry Wilson bit of a show pony, never going to get near the scousers first team despite an incredible shot!

I'm excited already whichever league we're in

Imo lampard is a really good manager. Some of his tactical changes and risks he took tonight showed he has the balls to change things quickly. I reckon he'll be a successfull manager.

Back