Frank Lampard

Great finish for his first season in management, good learning curve at least. Perhaps getting them promoted to the Premier League and seeing how he can cope will be the big test, however the bigger test would be seeing if Derby fail to go up and then build upon it next season.

Excellent point. They’ve finished around about where they have finished the last few seasons so not much of a master stroke. He was employed to bridge that gap, can he manage it? Personally don’t think he’ll manage it.

Seems a nice enough bloke though.

I think he's done ok. I doubt Derby's budget dwarfs that of every other club in the division so 6th seems ok to me. Its his first season as a manager at any level. If they don't go up he's done ok. If they do he's done very well indeed.
The playoffs make a huge difference to how a manager is ultimately judged. Surely what matters is the end result.

We were favourites and finished 5th. I'm not sure how comparable Derby are to us.
  • Stoke 13/8
  • Middlesbrough 11/4
  • West Brom 11/4
  • Nottingham Forest 10/3
  • Leeds 7/2
  • Swansea 7/2
  • Aston Villa 9/2
  • Brentford 9/2
  • Derby 9/2
  • Norwich 7/1
  • Bristol City 15/2
  • Preston 8/1
  • Sheffield United 8/1

He's done well.

I'd say Lampard has achieved. Derby should be expecting to be in that area of the table, and he's got them there. Nothing spectacular or great, but a steady showing for someone getting their first season under the belt. So long as Derby don't go backwards, it'll look to be a start of a good manager and club relationship that may bring top flight football for more than one season.

Sky Bets pre season odds:

Title odds first, promotion second:

Sunderland 11/4, 11/10
Barnsley 8/1, 5/2
Charlton Athletic 11/1, 10/3
Portsmouth 11/1, 10/3
Luton Town 12/1, 7/2
Scunthorpe United 12/1, 7/2
Peterborough United 16/1, 9/2
Coventry City 20/1, 6/1
Bradford City 25/1, 8/1
Bristol Rovers 28/1, 8/1
Burton Albion 28/1, 8/1
Oxford United 28/1, 8/1
Southend United 28/1, 8/1
Blackpool 33/1, 10/1
Doncaster Rovers 33/1, 10/1
Fleetwood Town 33/1, 10/1

Interesting that the top 5 ended up that way, just unfortunately not in that order and we were the worst of the 5, not the best. Scunthorpe didn't do great after reaching the playoffs last season, Bradford as well. Donny have done very well. So 12 of those 16 finished in the top half - Scunny, Bristol R, Bradford and Southend didn't.

@Botchie

Last edited:
The post obviously an attempt to defend Jack Ross. From what I’ve seen of Derby they play good football, dominate some games have young promising footballers - basically everything we aren’t showing.

Would Derby fans want him to have another season? @steadybreeze
Played some good football this season no matter if we go up or not. He's not frightened to bring players in from the academy or move on old heads like Martin & Thorn. He's improving as a manager as the seasons gone on as well, made a few mistakes but seems to learn from them. Very respectful to the club & speaks well, what money we've spent has been from selling our top scorer, problem will be money for next season, most likely have to dip into the loan market or look for bargains.

Can't see us going up but i'd be happy with the same again next season

Played some good football this season no matter if we go up or not. He's not frightened to bring players in from the academy or move on old heads like Martin & Thorn. He's improving as a manager as the seasons gone on as well, made a few mistakes but seems to learn from them. Very respectful to the club & speaks well, what money we've spent has been from selling our top scorer, problem will be money for next season, most likely have to dip into the loan market or look for bargains.

Can't see us going up but i'd be happy with the same again next season
Pretty much the polar opposite of Ross then :lol: in fairness Ross does speak well sir id respectful of the club but he looks to have gotten worse as the season has went on, we haven’t played good football since September with the exception of 1 or 2 games, he idolises the old heads (well, to put that more clearly, has his favourites who can do no wrong) and doesn’t bring in players from the academy.
Derby’s future is bright, ours is bleak.

Pretty much the polar opposite of Ross then :lol: in fairness Ross does speak well sir id respectful of the club but he looks to have gotten worse as the season has went on, we haven’t played good football since September with the exception of 1 or 2 games, he idolises the old heads (well, to put that more clearly, has his favourites who can do no wrong) and doesn’t bring in players from the academy.
Derby’s future is bright, ours is bleak.
You don't know what either clubs' futures will be like.

It’s obvious some on here would want Lampard to fail same with Gerrard so their opinions are pretty meaningless.
I like Lampard,I can’t understand the dislike of him by some. When Derby have lost this season he’s always been up front and says it like it is, they weren’t good enough, never used excuses.
Overall he’s done a decent job, for a first season, nothing spectacular, but if they win the play offs to go up you could only say a very good job.

Back