France vs Croatia

As previously said, France won't be attempting to blow them away and "Put on a show". Deschamps will happily grind it away, probably resulting in a dull 1-0 or 2-1.

Would do for me like, back them pre-tournament. Bout f***ing time I win a bet.

croatia are 4-1 to win it....got to be about the biggest odds in a final for many years.....still a lot less than 33-1 at the start

If France win The World Cup, then geographically it's coming closer to home.
i think this "its coming home"thing needs to be put to bed for future tournaments...the home of the trophy hasnt been england for 56 years cum the next WC,and the song was actually released for the euro's not the WC,and the song was more about the tournament cuming back to england not the actual trophy..

Last edited:
I don't like France but I'm desperate for them to win comfortably. If Croatia win for the rest of my days I'll be thinking it could have been us if we'd seen that game out. If France are miles better than them I'll console myself with the thought that they'd most likely have outclassed us as well
Aye I kna what you mean like. A bit like Man U against Millwall in the Cup Final years ago. :lol:

Aye I kna what you mean like. A bit like Man U against Millwall in the Cup Final years ago. :lol:

Exactly like that mate, normally I'd love seeing man united upset by a Championship team, but not when I'd always be left thinking "fuck, they were there for the taking". I'm still disappointed about that fa cup, would have loved to have seen us in a final and obviously it would have been a different game so you never know, but it was so comfortable that I now look back thinking we missed a great occasion rather than a genuine chance at winning it. Hoping for the same on Sunday, I'm certainly not one of those who the next day says "I'm pretty much over it now", I'm still f***ing gutted. Two more years to wait for a tournament, four for the big one, I'm only 33 but already feel like chances are running out!

Exactly like that mate, normally I'd love seeing man united upset by a Championship team, but not when I'd always be left thinking "fuck, they were there for the taking". I'm still disappointed about that fa cup, would have loved to have seen us in a final and obviously it would have been a different game so you never know, but it was so comfortable that I now look back thinking we missed a great occasion rather than a genuine chance at winning it. Hoping for the same on Sunday, I'm certainly not one of those who the next day says "I'm pretty much over it now", I'm still f***ing gutted. Two more years to wait for a tournament, four for the big one, I'm only 33 but already feel like chances are running out!
Once I saw the way Millwall got ripped apart I've always looked back on it as a bit of a blessing in disguise. We'd have been thoroughly embarrassed which wouldn't have been nice to watch, and a venture into Europe would have been a joke - and could have ballsed up our Championship season.

It'll take me a good while to get over this disappointment like, and that's the hard thing about international tournaments, they take forever to come around. I think it's made worse by a feeling I can't get excited about our season. After all this season it's back to the reality of league 1. Great. As I've said to a couple of the lads, I love Sunderland, but the excitement of this past couple of weeks makes it feel like I've been having exta martitals and I don't want to go back to the wife.

Least appetising final in memory

This. As others have said France have become anti-football. Maybe they were burned by losing the Euro 2016 final (to another team who played anti-football) when they were by far the most attractive team. Their semi-final win against Belgium summed them up - go 1-o up and shut up shop. Awful to watch, and I expect them to do the same on Sunday.

Reading all the stuff about the financial and political corruption in Croatia doesn't make me particularly enamoured of them either, especially with their long term and recent history of fascism.

So .... anti-football v corrupt fascists... I'll watch the final but I'm the least excited about it than any of the other 12 WC finals I've watched.

Back