Fox Hunting

It is now we have reached such numbers.

I think the simple farming folk probably don’t know about the other 6 billion people on the world 😀
I can remember an article about 20 yrs ago about pig farming and the consequences of the Chinese eating as much meat as Europeans. Their “5 a day” has always been “10 a day” and simply changing that to 9 and a meat then the place wouldn’t be able to supply ( something along those lines but it was decades ago I read it)
I’ve said on loads of threads over the years that we should eat less meat but better welfare and quality stuff

Last edited:

It is selfish, loads of people in the world struggle to get enough food, and by eating meat, you're feeding animals instead.
Feeding animals food that isn’t good enough for humans isn’t really taking food from other countries and if those people want to come and eat my grass, they are welcome
Not that I have to justify anything but I’ll give you a moment of my time.
Animal feeds in my case are stock potatoes and processed feeds that are no good for human consumption. Damaged spuds, green ones, blighted and the processed feeds tend to be milled from OOD stuff and sub standard grains.
Since f+m, no swill is used and no commercial waste that hasn’t been processed can be used.
I really hope you don’t use any animal product in your life ? That includes the flu jab

@cornish mackem just trying to dig out or bring some extra info. I was brought up on and around farms, where we used to have a really good relationship with locals who liked to hunt. We used to let them on the land to hunt rabbits , which they sometimes brought back to be eaten or just kept. But the understanding was that they would shoot other pests such as foxes. Rural crime was an issue at the time so we basically had overnight security for free. The police knew the lads and their cars and left them alone on the land. In fact it wasn't uncommon for farmers hunters and police to drink in the pub at the same time. My relatives were not out and out anti fox hunt (I was though) but would still not allow them on the land and would constantly be sending them bills for damage. Foxes are part of nature and beautiful, but we have created them what looks like a massive food source and they will go for it. We have removed their natural predators so they are top of their food chain. The fox population needs to be kept in check 100% beyond any argument. I think the most humane way to do this is to have an old fashioned game keeper to look after the land. I just can't get away with it been done with horses and dogs by people who enjoy seeing a dog tear apart a fox.

Feeding animals food that isn’t good enough for humans isn’t really taking food from other countries and if those people want to come and eat my grass, they are welcome
Not that I have to justify anything but I’ll give you a moment of my time.
Animal feeds in my case are stock potatoes and processed feeds that are no good for human consumption. Damaged spuds, green ones, blighted and the processed feeds tend to be milled from OOD stuff and sub standard grains.
Since f+m, no swill is used and no commercial waste that hasn’t been processed can be used.
I really hope you don’t use any animal product in your life ? That includes the flu jab
Producing meat reduces the ability to produce as much plant-based food. I'm sure you could grow something instead of grass. Nor do I believe that every calorie given to all the livestock in the world isn't fit for human consumption.

So whilst I understand that some areas are not suited to plant-based foods, that's not true overall, many farms could produce more calories by decreasing meat production. The farm my bedroom window looked out onto as a kid was cattle, but could have easily been crops.

The scale of meat production needs to reduce to feed the forecast 10bn population peek. Any land that can be farmed for plant-based should be.

It's not black and white, it's about scale. Using 1g of pig produce in a vaccine is sustainable, the average American eating 121kg of meat a year is not. Indians eating 4kg more so.

His post was completely bizarre. ‘Amazing’. :lol:

Fox hunting is barbaric. There’s something not right with people who choose to kill animals for fun.
If they are capable of inflicting such suffering on animals for pleasure then I certainly wouldn’t want them anywhere near my children.

Extremely simple: If you enjoy killing animals, and turn it into a game where you have a few glasses of fizzy, dress up for the day and go out of your way to torture the pray as much as possible, then you are a massive arsehole

By all means, kill vermin. In the most effective and efficient way. Buts its not a passtime.
Most of the vermin are on two legs.

What types of terriers are used. We have a wire-haired fox terrier, I was curious as to weather they were/are still used in the countryside.
Jack Russell’s normally but one lad has a breed called sporting Lucas which are pretty amazing and 1 patterdale comes out from time to time.
fox terrier is a bit big but that’s what they were made for originally

What types of terriers are used. We have a wire-haired fox terrier, I was curious as to weather they were/are still used in the countryside.
Probably will be mate. There’s some topper working breeders out there. I know ‘working’ is a new buzzword amongst breeders but proper working dogs look class. The daughter just bought a ‘worker’ spaniel. It’s about as much worker as me Mars westie.

Jack Russell’s normally but one lad has a breed called sporting Lucas which are pretty amazing and 1 patterdale comes out from time to time.
fox terrier is a bit big but that’s what they were made for originally
Aye ours is big for the breed and weighs about 10.5 KG. She's 3, we are out n about all the time and in 3 years the only dogs that have had a go at her were both Patterdales, one belonged to the farmer who's land we were on, in Scotland. The farmer was very keen on our mut like and asked us lots of questions about her.

Probably will be mate. There’s some topper working breeders out there. I know ‘working’ is a new buzzword amongst breeders but proper working dogs look class. The daughter just bought a ‘worker’ spaniel. It’s about as much worker as me Mars westie.
Ower lass wants a Weimaraner.
I got in touch with the Weimaraner “society “ on Facebook and asked if anyone still uses the breed as a working dog as opposed to how they look. The bloke sent me a message as he didn’t want to get tangled up because of stuff like this thread and he works his in the field and has bred a few field champions.
It’s on the back burner for a while but I fancy a spaniel if she gets a Weimaraner and then I can work them both
I will admit to having a limited knowledge of how all my food actually gets to my plate.

I am sure trout look at you before you despatch them. It’s off putting

however I know with 100 percent certain’t I will never go fox hunting. I am far too common.
I don’t buy into the “fish feel no pain” bit. They wouldn’t fight like mad if it didn’t hurt.
I do sea fishing too and it’s always the intention of eating what I set out to catch

Last edited:
Ower lass wants a Weimaraner.
I got in touch with the Weimaraner “society “ on Facebook and asked if anyone still uses the breed as a working dog as opposed to how they look. The bloke sent me a message as he didn’t want to get tangled up because of stuff like this thread and he works his in the field and has bred a few field champions.
It’s on the back burner for a while but I fancy a spaniel if she gets a Weimaraner and then I can work them both

I don’t buy into the “fish feel no pain” bit. They wouldn’t fight like mad if it didn’t hurt.
I do sea fishing too and it’s always the intention of eating what I set out to catch
Yeah me too and I hate the way some people treat fish after catching, particularly during mackerel season

Yeah me too and I hate the way some people treat fish after catching, particularly during mackerel season
We went out on the boat a few weeks ago and we were catching loads of pollack and good mackerel.
I looked round to my mate and asked if he thought we had enough? He looked quizzed but he go the point. We packed in and started watching the sun fish and then went in.
we are still eating the wish we caught and will be for a few weeks yet

Back