Fox Hunting

Wildlife doing what wildlife does, those poor rich people losing a few quid get all upset so throw a murderous tantrum and kill the wildlife.
People think of hunting with dogs as the red jacketed fools with the hounds.. the fact is that far more hunting with dogs went on with the working class with ferrets and terriers...

It crossed all divides... I'm not for fox hunting on horseback and drag does the job for the vast majority...

People think of hunting with dogs as the red jacketed fools with the hounds.. the fact is that far more hunting with dogs went on with the working class with ferrets and terriers...

It crossed all divides... I'm not for fox hunting on horseback and drag does the job for the vast majority...
On behalf of who and on whose land?

I am a Country lad, I fish and I shoot, however never been a fan of traditional fox hunting.
This is a very delicate subject as Foxes cause absolute carnage to both farms and wildlife.
I’ve seen them wipe out ponds of ducks in one evening and decimate complete chicken populations. A farmer therefore will have a different outlook to your normal Townie. Hunting with dogs still happens. They are used frequently in Mink hunting on Rivers. I once had 3 of the daft mutts sitting inside my fishing brolly whilst they queued up for chunks of luncheon meat that was my bait for the day. Never had a bite after that as they charged through the undergrowth and swam up the River :)

Growing Badgers populations are now creating bigger challenges for farming.
TB being the biggest one. In addition they have wiped out hedgehog populations and decimated ground nesting birds such as Skylarks and Curlews.

Keeping numbers in check of predators does help balancing nature.

This subject will never align or win an argument.

Same situation with moles.
I trap them
I think ban it , however when my mother ( no longer with us ❤️) left school as a young girl she worked in Service at Shotley Hall , the kennels for the Braes of Derwentside hunt was based there and she had some fascinating stories about the hounds and never condemned Fox Hunting !
They are lovely affectionate hounds

Last edited:
I completely denounce the barbaric belief that to slaughter so-called
lesser species for profit should be viable and morally acceptable. To take the life of any living creature I see as being totally unacceptable. Deeming ourselves as the most intelligent species we appear to have reached the conclusion that all other species are expendable.
This archaic way of thinking has led to both the extinction and near extinction of thousands of species of animals during our short time on earth. What we are faced with is a complete reassessment of our whole moral standards. Not only do we use animals to achieve our own ends.We also seem to believe that it is our natural right to do so.

I completely denounce the barbaric belief that to slaughter so-called
lesser species for profit should be viable and morally acceptable. To take the life of any living creature I see as being totally unacceptable. Deeming ourselves as the most intelligent species we appear to have reached the conclusion that all other species are expendable.
This archaic way of thinking has led to both the extinction and near extinction of thousands of species of animals during our short time on earth. What we are faced with is a complete reassessment of our whole moral standards. Not only do we use animals to achieve our own ends.We also seem to believe that it is our natural right to do so.

I can see your point in some ways, but in terms of say red deer which have been mentioned above, their numbers can swell dramatically and cause damage to new trees which those pesky humans have planted which would help the planet and other wildlife.
A lot of deer which tend to be culled if you will are the older weaker members of the herd which may not survive the next winter. It takes a lot of skill to track them and know which are such, and even more to dispatch them as humanely as possible.
If we didn't "manage" their populations you would end up with other wildlife suffering as a result.

I'm not saying it's nice, but doing nothing won't solve anything either

How many foxes are generally killed on a single "traditional" fox hunting trip / day?

Rabbits damage hedges built 100s of years ago allowing stock to escape and 6 rabbits eat the grass of one sheep. A rabbit will burrow in the field causing cattle to break legs and on another note , they are an introduced species.
the damage they do is phenomenal but you wouldn’t know that townie,
Rabbits get ground for dog food or young ones are used for human food.
How do I get rid of a rabbit without using a gun? Trap? That’s suffering 10x what I use.
You aren't protecting YOUR livestock or land. Therefore you are killing for sport/fun. I've no truck with a farmer protecting his own resources out of necessity.

There's no getting away from it, though. You're there purely for the enjoyment of the kill.

I'm not a townie. I live in the countryside.

You aren't protecting YOUR livestock or land. Therefore you are killing for sport/fun. I've no truck with a farmer protecting his own resources out of necessity.

There's no getting away from it, though. You're there purely for the enjoyment of the kill.

I'm not a townie. I live in the countryside.
So how many of my pigs do I allow the fox to get before I take action ?
How many insurance claims do I make for the horses on my land can I make before Saff thinks that enough broken legs is now a problem?
How many hours rebuilding granite hedges do I have to spend before I satisfy your denial that some wildlife needs management?
you say you live in the countryside but you must live with your eyes shut. It’s a beautiful place because someone has made it beautiful

Back