Fox Hunting

That seems like a lot.
Why that many?

Are they shot in as humane way as possible or are you going gun slinging from horseback?
Started a few weeks ago on Saturdays and goes on through the winter
It’s upto about 5 /week
Shot with a 12 bore after terriers flush them but we also get a few when out rabbiting with a .22 rifle
Either way, they tend not to run anywhere
It’s the same every year so it’s not damaged the numbers too much as such.
The difference between the hunt as it was and this method, people all over now shoot young, fit and healthy foxes that wouldn’t have likely been caught by the hunt.

Last edited:

It’s upto about 5 /week
Shot with a 12 bore after terriers flush them but we also get a few when out rabbiting with a .22 rifle

would you elaborate on the reason? Do you work on a farm where these foxes are attacking chickens or something?

would you elaborate on the reason? Do you work on a farm where these foxes are attacking chickens or something?
They will take anything.
lamb, ducks, geese, and not always to eat.
I have land but we visit many farms and not more than twice per year and numbers need management as there’s not enough for them all to survive and when that happens, more livestock is taken

It’s upto about 5 /week
It’s the same every year so it’s not damaged the numbers too much as such.
The difference between the hunt as it was and this method, people all over now shoot young, fit and healthy foxes that wouldn’t have likely been caught by the hunt.
You might convince a few people that there's a need for you to end the life of a fox. It's been targeting a farmers livestock etc...

Why you shooting rabbits, though? What harm are they doing?

You sound like a bloodthirsty prick who enjoys taking an innocent life with a gun and dogs because you aren't man enough to do it yourself.

You might convince a few people that there's a need for you to end the life of a fox. It's been targeting a farmers livestock etc...

You sound like a bloodthirsty prick who enjoys taking an innocent life with a gun and dogs because you aren't man enough to do it yourself.
What a load of nonsense . It's all about land management.. it's been done for centuries..

Rabbits can do a ridiculous amount of damage to crops as do pigeons and deer

I have a venison supplier on the west coast of Scotland contracted to cull hundreds of red-deer over the next three years as the population is exploding due to no natural predators, all animals are used for food. I have also worked on a shooting estate where foxes, crows and very occasionally badgers are treated that way also but in the way of protection of game bird chicks and eggs,hence the livelihood of the estate, which i have mixed feelings about. None of the afore mentioned compare to the sport of hunting until an animal is exhausted then dispatched by dogs or other methods just to maintain tradition and ceremony.
What a load of nonsense . It's all about land management.. it's been done for centuries..

Rabbits can do a ridiculous amount of damage to crops as do pigeons and deer
Agreed Epping, and actually rabbits do a huge amount of rabbit cause subsidence with their burrowing too.

Last edited:

Rabbits damage hedges built 100s of years ago allowing stock to escape and 6 rabbits eat the grass of one sheep. A rabbit will burrow in the field causing cattle to break legs and on another note , they are an introduced species.
the damage they do is phenomenal but you wouldn’t know that townie,
Rabbits get ground for dog food or young ones are used for human food.
How do I get rid of a rabbit without using a gun? Trap? That’s suffering 10x what I use.

I have a venison supplier on the west coast of Scotland contracted to cull hundreds of red-deer over the next three years as the population is exploding due to no natural predators, all animals are used for food. I have also worked on a shooting estate where foxes, crows and very occasionally badgers are treated that way also but in the way of protection of game bird chicks and eggs,hence the livelihood of the estate, which i have mixed feelings about. None of the afore mentioned compare to the sport of hunting until an animal is exhausted then dispatched by dogs or other methods just to maintain tradition and ceremony.
Bring back wolves and lynx that would help with the inbalance and make life more interesting for hikers.

Hunting with dogs is inhumane in my view. Controlling foxes or rabbits is different provided it’s evidence based on population and damage. In terms of eating wild animals then actually if we are to eat meat then I think we should do that more. The life of a rabbit, pigeon or deer in the wild is likely to be much better than many intensively farmed animals and the carbon footprint is likely to be much lower.

I am a veggie, never push it on people and people who want to eat meat that is fine as their choice but……let’s call it what this is, upperclass arseholes who get a kick from seeing a fox ripped into pieces, barbaric!
You’re well off the mark with the upper class bit. Most on our hunt work either in agricultural jobs , farmers and the likes and I would say 95% are working class people but you think what you think

Rabbits damage hedges built 100s of years ago allowing stock to escape and 6 rabbits eat the grass of one sheep. A rabbit will burrow in the field causing cattle to break legs and on another note , they are an introduced species.
the damage they do is phenomenal but you wouldn’t know that townie,
Rabbits get ground for dog food or young ones are used for human food.
How do I get rid of a rabbit without using a gun? Trap? That’s suffering 10x what I use.

Same situation with moles.

The Director of the Master of Foxhounds Association has been found guilty of advising hunts how to get around trail hunting and hunt real foxes.

What are your thoughts on this?

I’m the wrong class for fox hunting and I live in a town so I have no knowledge or experience of this practice.
I think ban it , however when my mother ( no longer with us ❤️) left school as a young girl she worked in Service at Shotley Hall , the kennels for the Braes of Derwentside hunt was based there and she had some fascinating stories about the hounds and never condemned Fox Hunting !

Back