Forum width resizing

• Thread starter Deleted member 6694
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6694

as monitors are now over 19" and above with higher resolution with 1280x1024 being common, is it possible to have a bigger width layout for the forum?

If I put my monitor on it's highest resolution then the forum only shows on around 30% of the screen! :eek:. Even at 1280x1024 the forum is still narrow wasting 25% of the screen as is putting it onto a HDTV as I'm sure some will do. A few years ago I can understand this being the case as most people were on 1024x768 which is great for this forum but surely now with bigger monitors/higher resolution then the forum looks thinner for most people?to th

Although for me, it only takes seconds to flick resolution (along with using Text Zoom in Firefox which is great as it remembers individual websites), it would be great to have an option to increase forum width size in your settings to HD and keep up with the advance of technology :cool:

it's just so you don't end up with this when multitasking and using a higher resolution at the time

Logon or register to see this image

p.s. I presume you can possibly get the screen resolutions from the website stats just to see if it would help the masses or is it just individuals that are affected badly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Points noted, the width has increased over the years, but you are correct in saying that if you use full screen on a large monitor it doesn't work well.

The stats are interesting in that they show the largest expansion is at the low resolution end of the scale rather than high, as more people are using phones and portable devices to access the site. The most common resolution in use by some distance is still 1024x768 with 23% of accesses at that resolution.

Clearly something will have to be done at some point, whether its multiple skins or a floating setup (which people seem to love or hate!) and the next re-design which is likely to be later this year will take this into account.

Points noted, the width has increased over the years, but you are correct in saying that if you use full screen on a large monitor it doesn't work well.

The stats are interesting in that they show the largest expansion is at the low resolution end of the scale rather than high, as more people are using phones and portable devices to access the site. The most common resolution in use by some distance is still 1024x768 with 23% of accesses at that resolution.

Clearly something will have to be done at some point, whether its multiple skins or a floating setup (which people seem to love or hate!) and the next re-design which is likely to be later this year will take this into account.

Thanks Roger :) I thought you could check screen res in webstats but it's been around 5 years since I last ran a website so thanks again for looking.

1024x768 having 23% is still quite high but it is admittedly the most comfortable for text size at desktop/laptop distance even though monitors can go higher now

not everyone knows this but if people are wanting it bigger then a quick fix is to press CTRL on the keyboard then use the scroll wheel on mouse as it changes the text in Firefox. Best thing is that it remembers it for individual websites which is what I've done for a few years now :cool:. Pressing CTRL+0 is the quick zoom reset

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :cool: I think it's possible to have multiple 'skins' on a forum like this. So the admins could make one that is just like the default one, but not fixed width, and then people could choose to use it? Also make a pink one while they are at it :lol::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back