Forgetting you're transgender...

On the radio the other day there was this lad who was queer (his description, not mine) and his job was working with aged Transgender people with Alzheimers - apparently they forget that they've been through the transition?
Could this mean that they're reverting to what they truly are, and therefore the operation was a waste of time? :confused:

Alzheimer's isn't a simple winding backwards of the mental clock, where all memories regress evenly. At one stage my father in law would remember his wife when you talked about her but insisted that she couldn't have been a Catholic because he hated Catholics.

My theory about this was that his mum hadn't liked Catholics (her mum had married a CofE bloke, left the fold and been cut off by her family) and passed this on to her son, who later developed his own thoughts on the matter and married a Catholic. Along comes the illness and wipes out the later thoughts about religion but leaves the earlier ones but at the same time only wiping out his wife's name and not all his memories of being married. When talking about his wife and going to Midnight Mass at Christmas he only has memories of hating Catholics so his wife couldn't have been a Catholic and his daughter must be lying when she says she was a Catholic.

So isn't it more likely that these transgender people are regressing to childhood in these thoughts and their trans nature hadn't been established or accepted in their mind at that age?

Alzheimer's isn't a simple winding backwards of the mental clock, where all memories regress evenly. At one stage my father in law would remember his wife when you talked about her but insisted that she couldn't have been a Catholic because he hated Catholics.

My theory about this was that his mum hadn't liked Catholics (her mum had married a CofE bloke, left the fold and been cut off by her family) and passed this on to her son, who later developed his own thoughts on the matter and married a Catholic. Along comes the illness and wipes out the later thoughts about religion but leaves the earlier ones but at the same time only wiping out his wife's name and not all his memories of being married. When talking about his wife and going to Midnight Mass at Christmas he only has memories of hating Catholics so his wife couldn't have been a Catholic and his daughter must be lying when she says she was a Catholic.

So isn't it more likely that these transgender people are regressing to childhood in these thoughts and their trans nature hadn't been established or accepted in their mind at that age?

Don't know mate.

I read it more that in there dementia they just thought they had always been a woman not that they thought they were still a man

Back