Foreign mediocrity

They should sign Barley Mumba imo.

Send him on some maizey dribbles, might raise a rye smile from some supporters. But the grass isn’t always greener on the other side and signing British players for the sake of it is just a rice to the bottom imo.
Mmm, rye and rice.

This exactly. Premier League is the biggest single factor in the downturn of the England national team. Yet one of the lies put out by the greed league was that it would benefit the national team!
Don't think it is - its easy to blame it on the PL but England were shite before it - they didn't even qualify during the 70s, yet in the 26 years since they've reached 2 semis and 3 quarter finals.

It's clueless idiots like Greg Dyke trying to push through quotas on English players not realising that all it does is push prices up and encourage clubs to sign token Englishmen with no intention of actually playing them.

Don't think it is - its easy to blame it on the PL but England were shite before it - they didn't even qualify during the 70s, yet in the 26 years since they've reached 2 semis and 3 quarter finals.

It's clueless idiots like Greg Dyke trying to push through quotas on English players not realising that all it does is push prices up and encourage clubs to sign token Englishmen with no intention of actually playing them.

I assume you mean 1990? Greed league didn't start until 1992. And we were incredibly lucky with the draw this year and the fact that most of the fancied sides bombed out early.

The downturn? Compared to e.g. the 80s?

I mean crap performances at 2002, 2004,2006 , not qaulifying for 2008, crap again 2010 and 2012 and humiliated in 2014 and 2016.

I was at some of those tournaments too and a lot of those qualifiers. Ah the golden age :(

Last edited:
I assume you mean 1990? Greed league didn't start until 1992. And we were incredibly lucky with the draw this year and the fact that most of the fancied sides bombed out early.

I mean crap performances at 2002, 2004,2006 , not qaulifying for 2008, crap again 2010 and 2012 and humiliated in 2014 and 2016.

I was at some of those tournaments too and a lot of those qualifiers. Ah the golden age :(
No I mean since the start of the Premier League - semi finalists in 1996 and 2018, quarter finalists in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

If 02, 04 and 06 were crap then what were the 70s and 80s?! We lost to the eventual winners in 2002 who went on to beat Turkey and a shite Germany team who we'd beaten 5-1 less than a year earlier, lost on penalties to the hosts/runners up in 2004 having had a controversial extra time goal disallowed and lost on penalties again in 2006 having played a chunk of extra time with 10 men (admittedly because of Rooney's stupidity).

If the fancied sides were knocked out early this year then what does that make them?

But you said there'd been a downturn. Compared to when?

No I mean since the start of the Premier League - semi finalists in 1996 and 2018, quarter finalists in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

If 02, 04 and 06 were crap then what were the 70s and 80s?! We lost to the eventual winners in 2002 who went on to beat Turkey and a shite Germany team who we'd beaten 5-1 less than a year earlier, lost on penalties to the hosts/runners up in 2004 having had a controversial extra time goal disallowed and lost on penalties again in 2006 having played a chunk of extra time with 10 men (admittedly because of Rooney's stupidity).

If the fancied sides were knocked out early this year then what does that make them?

For the 1970's, yep we were rubbish but as you are referring to the quarter final losses we were basically the same in the 1980's world cups. 1982 we were 1 win away from the semi final (weird tournament format then), 1986 maradona's cheating and in 1990 arguably a penalty shoot out away from winning the tournament.

One thing where the greed league is killing the national team is the fact that barely a third of the players are qualified to play for England and to me that's a disgrace. How many English players played for Chelsea on Saturday? And Arsenal famously didn't have an Englishman in their matchday squad some years ago. Stuff like that just stifles the youngsters coming through.

Back