Foreign currency account when working abroad

I got cash in the end. That's been just as problematic because, well, if you can't put it into an account, what do you do with it? :lol: Been a nightmare.

That's the thing, can't deposit a foreign currency before changing it to GBP, goes in as a foreign currency and then you can only withdraw as GBP! Absolutely stupid.

How unusual in this electronic age that the same people that fucked the country during the last crash are still fleecing money from international travellers. It's not like I am paying by cheque you f***ing arseholes, what POSSIBLE extra expenditure would me using an ATM overseas cause my bank? They already give me the worst possible exchange rate, ludicrously shitty interest rates on ACTUAL f***ing CAPITAL and I will tell you why - it's because they can do whatever the fuck they want and the govt. will pay the bill when it goes tits up.

In f***ing fact:

How unusual in this electronic age that the same people that fucked the country during the last crash are still fleecing money from international travellers. It's not like I am paying by cheque you f***ing arseholes, what POSSIBLE extra expenditure would me using an ATM overseas cause my bank? They already give me the worst possible exchange rate, ludicrously shitty interest rates on ACTUAL f***ing CAPITAL and I will tell you why - it's because they can do whatever the fuck they want and the govt. will pay the bill when it goes tits up.

In f***ing fact:

I have a FlexPlus account with Nationwide that gives a decent exchange rate and there's no charge for foreign withdrawals. Fee extras too. £13 a month, like. Might be worth a gander.

The op only needs it for a bit and the way this shower of shite are carrying on the op will be back on home soil by then.
I stand by my original question, how do other foreign nationals manage here?
In Spain, I've got a Sabadell account, Bnext card (pre-pay, no commissions on foreign spends, other limits on withdrawals) and a curve card so far. Also opened a Revolution account but haven't got started with them yet.

Still got my accounts back in the UK too and use Transferwise to send money between countries.

Back