Foreign currency account when working abroad

Ashley In!!

Striker
Looks like I may be working in Europe for a couple of months towards the back end of the year.

I'll be paid in Euros, ideally into a Euro Account.

Need to be able to access cash from the account whilst abroad without paying large ATM large fees - probably to withdraw most of the money I'm paid in cash.

What are the best options for this?

It's a pain in the arse. I was being paid in dollars and the rigamarole of setting one up and the backwards rules attached to the account were ridiculous.

It's a pain in the arse. I was being paid in dollars and the rigamarole of setting one up and the backwards rules attached to the account were ridiculous.

I have tried a multitude of different options over the years and just gave up in the end. Shit exchange rates, overseas charges... fuck it. Can't be bothered. Just giz some cash.

I have tried a multitude of different options over the years and just gave up in the end. Shit exchange rates, overseas charges... fuck it. Can't be bothered. Just giz some cash.
I got cash in the end. That's been just as problematic because, well, if you can't put it into an account, what do you do with it? :lol: Been a nightmare.

Starling said you couldn't withdraw euro cash from the euro account at ATMs, only from your gbp account
That's the thing, can't deposit a foreign currency before changing it to GBP, goes in as a foreign currency and then you can only withdraw as GBP! Absolutely stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just speak to your bank about opening a euro account and tag it onto your existing account if your only going to there a couple of month.

Or if you have a contract from the country you'll be working in just open an account when you are there

Back