Foraging for food.

Loved a bit of Willick picking when younger. Come home with a massive carrier bag for nowt. Unfortunately now I’m old and lazy I just pay Latimers a fiver for a 10 pence mix up bag.

Loads of fruit trees/bushes round here. There's a lot of cherry trees. I always know when they are ripe as the bairn comes back from playing out stained with cherry juice :lol:

Loved a bit of Willick picking when younger. Come home with a massive carrier bag for nowt. Unfortunately now I’m old and lazy I just pay Latimers a fiver for a 10 pence mix up bag.
I have a topper little bay over the west coast I visit every time I fish over there. Literally a couple of kilo for 15/20 mins work.

Anyone do this?

Gonna have a look out this weekend for the first time. Been told of a good spot for ramsons, wild garlic and hen of the wood mushrooms.

Have grown my own flowers and herbs over the years but like the idea of finding things for myself and seeing what I can come up with on my finds.

Yeah I have in the past. Not as a matter of course, just through fancying doing it.

You’d be surprised at what you can find and how much you could save if you could be arsed to time it well and plan what’s available through the year.

Edit: when I say how much you could save I mean a few quid :lol:

I’m not foraging chickens or owt.

Sounds shit.

It’s not. Out in nature for a few hours collecting stuff. Most people surely like going out for a walk anyway?

Last edited:
Yeah I have in the past. Not as a matter of course, just through fancying doing it.

You’d be surprised at what you can find and how much you could save if you could be arsed to time it well and plan what’s available through the year.

Edit: when I say how much you could save I mean a few quid :lol:

I’m not foraging chickens or owt.

It’s not. Out in nature for a few hours collecting stuff. Most people surely like going out for a walk anyway?
Aye that’s my plan. Just gonna start taking the dog out on a weekend and having a mooch while she runs about. Been reading stuff about where to find what and pretty clued up on spotting things etc. Joined a few groups on social media who help as well. Should be fun.

Aye that’s my plan. Just gonna start taking the dog out on a weekend and having a mooch while she runs about. Been reading stuff about where to find what and pretty clued up on spotting things etc. Joined a few groups on social media who help as well. Should be fun.

I know he’s a proper weird bloke, but Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s books are a good reference point.

I know he’s a proper weird bloke, but Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s books are a good reference point.
Yeah I’ve read stuff he’s done. A few year ago I bought and planted stuff I’d not find in shops like cicely, lovage, lemon balm etc and just used to go out and make a herb salad on a night. I used to love it. Last year I found lemon balm in the middle of nettles and that’s common apparently. Got loads of Kilner jars and a food dehydrator so will make preserves and stuff. Tommy Banks ‘Roots’ book is really good. Made loads of stuff with Douglas Fir as well it’s class that stuff.

Best I can do would be gathering blackberries from the bushes, I have eyed up some Rhubarb in a few folks' gardens within grabbing distance anarl (I wouldn't pinch it, I just gaze at it longingly :lol:).

Back