For those who are self-employed...

I meant end of November not October. I've not had an email from HMRC yet, maybe Monday.
To be honest I've only lost about 3 or 4 days work through a shortage of building materials this last couple of months but I'll be claiming anyway.

As far as I know just having to buy face masks to comply with CV-19 regulations allows you to make a claim.
Third grant is different again mate. You must declare you've had a drop in demand. You can't claim due to higher costs, or extra ppe costs, or the fact ou were self isolating etc. Each claim window has seen different rules, the devil is in the detail.
If you're doing click and collect you're not closed shirley ?
What's that got to do with it? A drop in demand however temporary and you're good to claim.
Just what Martin Lewis has said. He keeps updating the page on his site

I don't think I'd apply if it was loss of 3 or 4 days like above. Im sure they will come after plenty
If you've lost 3 or 4 days directly due to covid 19 due to lack of demand from 1st Nov onwards, you are entitled to claim, no doubts about it.
There is no minimum loss before you can claim, the grant is Binary, in other words you qualify or you don't, no lower or upper ceilings. Sunak has already stated the Govt appreciate it will be a long road ahead for many self employed and that the real damage will occur later on down the line, and this 3rd and 4th grant will help people further down the line to keep their heads above water.

Last edited:
20 staff maybes ? Hundreds of thousands claimants ?

Is that all it was?
Third grant is different again mate. You must declare you've had a drop in demand. You can't claim due to higher costs, or extra ppe costs, or the fact ou were self isolating etc. Each claim window has seen different rules, the devil is in the detail.

What's that got to do with it? A drop in demand however temporary and you're good to claim.

If you've lost 3 or 4 days directly due to covid 19 due to lack of demand from 1st Nov onwards, you are entitled to claim, no doubts about it.
There is no minimum loss before you can claim, the grant is Binary, in other words you qualify or you don't, no lower or upper ceilings. Sunak has already stated the Govt appreciate it will be a long road ahead for many self employed and that the real damage will occur later on down the line, and this 3rd and 4th grant will help people further down the line to keep their heads above water.

You're right mate but I've been really wary as what they will rule as fraudulent in future. I have definitely qualified for all of them as I'm down a big chunk from previous years but it still makes me worry a bit when applying.

If you're doing click and collect you're not closed shirley ?

so its antique sofas and chairs we sell obviously some poeple actually want to browse what we have and test out quite a few sofas at the moment that isnt possible so we have set up a designated click and collect area but in that area your only seeing 2-3 pieces out of 80-90 as out showroom is closed
today is the perfect example ive had 3 phone calls asking if they can come and view obviously that isnt possible as we cant open so i tried to say was it a certain piece you were after so i could put some items in click and collect area but they wanted to view our full stock which isnt possible and obviously we usually deliver now we cant unless kerbside which some people want the items taken in property which we cant do
so today i would have likely taken 1000 if i was able to open properly instead nothing

Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up on the new rules, I'll have to keep an eye out for the full list.

My missus (nope) work as a self-employed travel agent (homeworker - commission only). She was told a few weeks ago by the company who she works to (ie they provide the calls to which she responds) that her services were no longer required.

As you can imagine there's not a lot of travel companies taking staff on currently, so it's pretty much a given that she can justify claiming this third payment due to a 'drop in demand'.

She's now looking for a temporary, salaried job to tide her over to February/March next year after being advised that as long as you revert back to self-employment before the end of the tax year HMRC won't ask for any of the grants to be repaid.

Wife lost all work for few month when first lockdown started , got back up and running from September and been doing ok, however knows that from December she will be losing 1/2 of her work and will be a struggle again.
Can she claim the grant if knows the drop is coming ? Or would the sudden drop have to taken place in November ?
Cheers

Wife lost all work for few month when first lockdown started , got back up and running from September and been doing ok, however knows that from December she will be losing 1/2 of her work and will be a struggle again.
Can she claim the grant if knows the drop is coming ? Or would the sudden drop have to taken place in November ?
Cheers
Just claim in December then, wait for it to happen if she's worried about it. You'll still get the full grant. It doesn't have to be claimed straight away.

Looking like I have no work on Thursday and Friday because of a lack of materials, the plasterers are 2 weeks behind because of a shortage of plaster so that's me held up. Looks like I'll have to do some essential biking if the weathers good. 🏍🏍

Just claim in December then, wait for it to happen if she's worried about it. You'll still get the full grant. It doesn't have to be claimed straight away.
Ah right I thought you had to be impact in November to get this next grant ? I need to find the rules . Aye it’s likely to be from early December loses main part of her work again and won’t get it back

Ah right I thought you had to be impact in November to get this next grant ? I need to find the rules . Aye it’s likely to be from early December loses main part of her work again and won’t get it back

Think it's from 1st November onwards and it's a 3 month grant so as dark one says just apply once the drop in income happens anytime over that 3 month period

I’ve read the rules , cheers , means she can claim anytime up to late January so can just wait for this contract to end in December then get a claim in . I be sending her to college night classes 😀
Hope your work has picked right up

I’ve read the rules , cheers , means she can claim anytime up to late January so can just wait for this contract to end in December then get a claim in . I be sending her to college night classes 😀
Hope your work has picked right up
People are flapping for no reason mate. You'll be fine. Hmrc mistakenly invited 23000 self employed persons to apply for the first grant, knowing that they weren't trading anymore cos the person's had notified them months beforehand. Reading between the lines, 17000 of them claimed anyway, expecting to get away with it. What a pity, letters sent out telling them to repay it. What a shambles.

30th November for claims.

Some of the examples they give make it sound like you have to have significant reduction in trading profits.

I've had one job cancelled because of covid but over 3 months that one job isn't a significant reduction in profits.

30th November for claims.

Some of the examples they give make it sound like you have to have significant reduction in trading profits.

I've had one job cancelled because of covid but over 3 months that one job isn't a significant reduction in profits.
Bairn been sent home to isolate last week so only managed one day in this week 2 days next week so lose 7 days as far as I can read it I can apply also unit closed can only offer click and collect or delivery anyway

Bairn been sent home to isolate last week so only managed one day in this week 2 days next week so lose 7 days as far as I can read it I can apply also unit closed can only offer click and collect or delivery anyway
Someone might correct me but don't think self isolating is included for applying.

Someone might correct me but don't think self isolating is included for applying.

it is Mate

Previously trading but you are temporarily unable to do so
This applies to you if you’re temporarily unable to carry out your business activities due to coronavirus, because for example:

• your business has had to close due to government restrictions
  • you’ve been instructed to shield or self-isolate in-line with NHS guidelines and are unable to work from home (if you’ve been abroad and have to self-isolate, this does not count)
  • you’ve tested positive for coronavirus and are unable to work
  • you cannot work due to parental caring responsibilities, for example as a result of school or childcare facility closures
If you had to close before 1 November 2020 and continued to be closed for a period of time up to 29 January 2021, you can still claim as long as you are eligible.

Cheers
Claim it mate

Back