For the over 58s - does anybody remember the daytime pitch black thunderstorm of 1968

Nope.
On a similar note, anyone for the snap Friday afternoon snow storm of 79? Buses off. Schools, colleges, shops, factories, shipyards etc shut early. Cars abandoned all ower and dug out on Saturday morning.

Mrs RT's hairdresser's car was left floating around the car park next to the taxi rank at the bottom of Ch le St after that deluge on 28 June 2012.:eek:
My jeans just from running to the station from the office half an hour after it started. :lol:
Logon or register to see this image

I got as far as Heworth and the Metro gave up. Eventually got picked up by a colleague although she lost her number plate and radiator cover going through a massive puddle. This was taken from her car.

I don't know if it was that but I do recall one time probably around that time when I was a young we were down at Seaburn on the beach and it went black as fuck and thundered like fuck. Of course we didn't have a family car and we were like drowned rats at the bus stop. Luckily some very kind lady pulled over and gave us a lift back to Silky (good old NE friendliness form a random stranger ). When we got back it was bright sunshine but you could hear the thunder going like fuck still and it was black as fuck looking that way.

Nope but I do remember Thunder Thursday few years ago

We were in London that day , one of the lads had a phone call to say his kitchen had flooded due to the rain , we were sat in sunshine and the temperature was 30c .
Ucj me this jogs the memory. I was working on a site in Ryhope. I'd have been 17 and it was like the end of the World was occuring. Within minutes the site was flooded and we all got soaked so we all went into the bait cabin and played 7 card brag.
Hope this helps.
Problem is I remember the day but can't remember how to play 7 card brag anymore.

seven card stud ?

Last edited:
OK we are going back to 1968 ? when I was at junior school .
But does anybody remember a lunch time thunderstorm , when the sky turned completely black .
Some of my classmates were convinced the world was ending , the storm was that epic .
I have never experienced anything like it - the sky turned completely black in a matter of minutes .
Does anybody else remember this ? Are there any newspaper reports ? Or is my memory playing tricks ?
What if you are 53-57? Does that not count?

OK we are going back to 1968 ? when I was at junior school .
But does anybody remember a lunch time thunderstorm , when the sky turned completely black .
Some of my classmates were convinced the world was ending , the storm was that epic .
I have never experienced anything like it - the sky turned completely black in a matter of minutes .
Does anybody else remember this ? Are there any newspaper reports ? Or is my memory playing tricks ?
Walked home from school in it, from Blackhall colliery to Blackhall rocks by the time I got home my blazer had shrunk

I don't know if it was that but I do recall one time probably around that time when I was a young we were down at Seaburn on the beach and it went black as fuck and thundered like fuck. Of course we didn't have a family car and we were like drowned rats at the bus stop. Luckily some very kind lady pulled over and gave us a lift back to Silky (good old NE friendliness form a random stranger ). When we got back it was bright sunshine but you could hear the thunder going like fuck still and it was black as fuck looking that way.
How many fucks is that!!

Aye, I'm 58, and I remember it well.
I was a five year old in infants at Lynnfield School in British West Hartlepool, and my Ma had come to collect me at noon, to go home for our dinner.
The sky turned pitch black and torrential rain suddenly poured down, and within minutes the street was like a river, as us kids and parents ran/plodged for cover, as the water level rose to my knees, and I remember being picked up and carried home, by my Ma.
There was real panic amongst parents, teachers, and kids, as we all tried to get to safety.
Luckily, we lived just a two/three minute walk from school, and got home safely, but completely soaked through.

I also remember a freak storm hitting around 10-15 years ago, one Sunday dinnertime.
It had been a calm and sunny Sunday morning, when suddenly the sky turned pitch black, and the wind began howling, and again, we were hit by a freak deluge of rain, of monsoon proportions, as the streets were suddenly turned into rivers.

My brother was intending to drive to Newcastle, but the sudden downpour was so intense, he didn't even get as far as Castle Eden, when the A19 became impassable, due to the sudden storm.
I remember that one well. Our blinds blew down with shut windows. (bearing in mind our windows were old and breaking down).
The little (box room) bedroom had water pushed in under the roof tiles.
It only lasted about half an hour (I think) but that was one weird carry on.
I remember my wife saying " are we going to be alright?" and I said " yeah, we live in brick houses, not a paper one"....but the truth was, I acted all calm yet hadn't a clue what the outcome of this was going to be.

Mrs RT's hairdresser's car was left floating around the car park next to the taxi rank at the bottom of Ch le St after that deluge on 28 June 2012.:eek:
Managed to get to NCL central station but the line had been partially washed away, taxis wouldn't go south of the river so I walked across the Tyne Bridge down to Pelaw I think where they had a shuttle onto Heworth and then a bus trip through Washington to Testos(?) and a bus from there to Sunlun - the buses were steamed up with evaporation from wet clothes and got home after 21:00. Four and a half hour journey.

I think it was under that bridge where she lost the number plate. It looked like there was no way through but a lorry bombed straight through the middle and parted the water. She put her foot down and raced through it. The waves came crashing back and engulfed us but we came through the other side.
Was sunny by the time we got back to Sunderland and my mates were waiting for me in The Chesters as if nowt was wrong. :lol:

I think it was under that bridge where she lost the number plate. It looked like there was no way through but a lorry bombed straight through the middle and parted the water. She put her foot down and raced through it. The waves came crashing back and engulfed us but we came through the other side.
Was sunny by the time we got back to Sunderland and my mates were waiting for me in The Chesters as if nowt was wrong. :lol:
I was working in West Denton when it started. Took me 6 hours to get home.

I was working in West Denton when it started. Took me 6 hours to get home.
I was one of the lucky ones and it probably took me less than two hours because I acted quickly. One bloke from the office walked from Newcastle to Shields in his patent leather shoes but walked the wrong way. :lol: His feet were ripped to shreds.
Our office (on the third floor) got flooded as it had internal drainpipes and they overflowed. At the same time our servers in London went down so we had absolute chaos. Was a fun few days looking back, proper crisis management.

Back