For the over 58s - does anybody remember the daytime pitch black thunderstorm of 1968

Tictactom66

Subs Bench
OK we are going back to 1968 ? when I was at junior school .
But does anybody remember a lunch time thunderstorm , when the sky turned completely black .
Some of my classmates were convinced the world was ending , the storm was that epic .
I have never experienced anything like it - the sky turned completely black in a matter of minutes .
Does anybody else remember this ? Are there any newspaper reports ? Or is my memory playing tricks ?

But does anybody remember a lunch time thunderstorm , when the sky turned completely black .
Some of my classmates were convinced the world was ending , the storm was that epic .
I have never experienced anything like it - the sky turned completely black in a matter of minutes .
Does anybody else remember this ? Are there any newspaper reports ? Or is my memory playing tricks ?

Iā€™m lucky if I can remember yesterday šŸ˜³

Yes I was in infant school and remember it well. It was biblical that day. Great post as I was the only one among my mates of the same age who have any memory of this!

I was only just getting to the grand old age of two so no. Although I do remember a similar thing around 1982/83 where it made front page national headlines. Our family were driving down to Hertfordshire to visit family and the M1 seemed to come to a bit of a standstill at one point.

Aye, I'm 58, and I remember it well.
I was a five year old in infants at Lynnfield School in British West Hartlepool, and my Ma had come to collect me at noon, to go home for our dinner.
The sky turned pitch black and torrential rain suddenly poured down, and within minutes the street was like a river, as us kids and parents ran/plodged for cover, as the water level rose to my knees, and I remember being picked up and carried home, by my Ma.
There was real panic amongst parents, teachers, and kids, as we all tried to get to safety.
Luckily, we lived just a two/three minute walk from school, and got home safely, but completely soaked through.

I also remember a freak storm hitting around 10-15 years ago, one Sunday dinnertime.
It had been a calm and sunny Sunday morning, when suddenly the sky turned pitch black, and the wind began howling, and again, we were hit by a freak deluge of rain, of monsoon proportions, as the streets were suddenly turned into rivers.
My brother was intending to drive to Newcastle, but the sudden downpour was so intense, he didn't even get as far as Castle Eden, when the A19 became impassable, due to the sudden storm.

I remember it well. I as at secondary school and in the middle of an exam! It was a frightening experience everyone in the class were just staring out of the window not a word was said. Will never forget it.

Ucj me this jogs the memory. I was working on a site in Ryhope. I'd have been 17 and it was like the end of the World was occuring. Within minutes the site was flooded and we all got soaked so we all went into the bait cabin and played 7 card brag.
Hope this helps.
Problem is I remember the day but can't remember how to play 7 card brag anymore.

Back