For the money we have spent

Money spent does not mean success. Every transfer is a gamble and we had to build a new squad after a double relegation.

This is not Fifa or Football Manager. Throwing the most money around doesn’t mean we will be top of the league.

Almost all of our team, certainly more than half, were brought in this year.

However, if you spend more per player than other teams can afford it is fair to have higher expectations.

I didn’t expect to win L1 but by the end of the season they have gelled into a cohesive unit and be performing more consistently than they are.

1/2 a team?
Mcgeady, catts, Honeyman. Matthews at a push.

Barnsley have their back 5 the same as last year, and Moore and Thiam. Got rid of a lot less and needed less change and recruitment. We had one of our most significant players leave half way through the season.

Going from what you say, us and Barnsley should be performing to the highest standards, which we both are.
Just a Shame we had the anomoly of Luton Town this season who have gone from strength to strength and kept their winning mentality from last season. It happens.

See above. Compare our teams this season to when we played Barnsley last season. We've had to make so much more significant change. Other teams have brought in ones for thr future, or players to be on the periphery . We had to make massive changes. We spent a lot and had a biggish budget, but you have to factor in things like played gelling and injuries. You have to be pragmatic and if Barnsley finish above us it will be by a slender margin. Its no massive shock or sleight on us if this is the case

See above.

However, if you spend more per player than other teams can afford it is fair to have higher expectations.

I didn’t expect to win L1 but by the end of the season they have gelled into a cohesive unit and be performing more consistently than they are.

See above.
Tbf, untill grigg, we spent a similair amount to Barnsley.
Grigg was a must do panic buy for Maja on Jan, when Jan transfers rarely work.
Therefor you'd expect us to be up nr the top with Barnsley
Which we are

I recommend you do too.
The whole way throughout this thread I have maintained that there is more to it that “we spent some money so we should win” and so far I’ve proven my point.

Almost all of our team, certainly more than half, were brought in this year.

We did, by a large margin. See my other posts.
Firstly you stated that i said Luton had signed 28 players.
Secondly you stated i had lied to suit my agenda.
Like i asked earlier point me to where I've done either. You can't.

Fact check time:
Luton signed 11 players this year, not 28.
Of the 11 they have signed only 6 have played more than 5 games ...55%:

Aaron Connelly - 1
Sonny Bradley - 42
Andrew Shinney - 38
Matty Pearson - 43
George Moncur - 32

Eunan O’Kane - 3
Jason Cummings - 26
George Thorne - 3
Jorge Grant - 13
Alex Baptiste - 1
Kazenga Lua Lua - 20

Their new players attribute for 222 appearances this season.

Sunderland have signed 17 new players this year, of the 17 we have signed all 17 have played more than 5 times. 100%:

Will Grigg - 15
Charlie Wyke - 22
Jack Baldwin - 34
Dylan McGeoch - 21
Jon McLaughlin - 43
Glen Loovens - 11
Alim Ozturk - 7
Tom Flanagan- 29
Grant Leadbitter - 14
Reece James - 27
Chris McGuire - 30
Jimmy Dunne - 12
Jerome Sinclair - 19
Kaziah Sterling - 6
Max Power - 32
Lewis Morgan - 15
Luke O’Nien - 34

Our new signings attribute to 371 appearances.

So tell me again how everyone else in the league have changed their entire squad and we are no different to the rest of the league :rolleyes:

Source: Sunderland AFC - Transfers 18/19

No that’s me pointing out that other guy was lying to suit his agenda. My op was just they people are constantly whinging that we spent a lot of money so we should win the league, and it’s not taking anything else into account which in my opinion is wrong.
People then keep coming at me and putting words in my mouth making alternative arguments, so being the argumentative sod I am I argue back. But I keep coming back to my original point; there’s more to it than how much we spent.

Last edited:

Back