For the money we have spent

So if Liverpool sell Mane, Firmino, Salah, Alisson and van Dijk for £500m, then they buy 5 players to replace them for £200m should they win the league at a canter next year because they have spent more than any other club in the league?
This is getting silly now, this is nothing like our situation, for starters we dropped down a league.

Let's say if Southampton for example were relegated and sell a load of players for £150m then spend £100m (more than the rest of the Championship combined) you would expect them to walk the league right.

If they were relegated to the championship and did that then yes.
That wasn’t the argument, the argument was that we spent more than anyone in the league so we should win it. So highest gross spenders in a league should win the league, completely ignoring the decimation of the club caused by removing all of its best players.

League 1 is park football compared to where we've come from. Any spending on players is largely unheard of and certainly not millions on a striker to drop down a division. Assuming we don't get through the play-offs, which seems the most likely outcome, it will be interesting to see what if anything we spend on players next season. It really should make all the difference being able to go out there and outspend your rivals.....

This is getting silly now, this is nothing like our situation, for starters we dropped down a league.

Let's say if Southampton for example were relegated and sell a load of players for £150m then spend £100m (more than the rest of the Championship combined) you would expect them to walk the league right.
But if you’re equating that to our situation they would only actually spend £29m, which isn’t a lot to buy a successful championship squad.

There was a manager who took over an ambitious club in the summer of 2016.

I thought their squad was canny as it was, but he spent big. £166m.

They only came 3rd in the league that season.

They wanted top spot, they were aiming for top spot. No other way to put it except: he had failed.
And they didn't get to a final, let alone win a trophy.

Fortunately for Pep, and the club, they realised the obvious ...

... it takes time as well as money to build a winning team.
Good point. However Man City had an identity at that point and were improving, they won 6 of their last 8 in the league that season drawing the other 2. I still don’t think we have an identity or that performances are improving. Still time though

But if you’re equating that to our situation they would only actually spend £29m, which isn’t a lot to buy a successful championship squad.
The numbers are irrelevant the point still stands if Southampton were relegated and the sold a load of players then spent more than the rest of the Championship combined you would expect them to walk the league.

The numbers are irrelevant the point still stands if Southampton were relegated and the sold a load of players then spent more than the rest of the Championship combined you would expect them to walk the league.
Why are numbers not relevant when it doesn’t suit your argument?

If saints were relegated and sold their squad for £150m then spent £36m* replacing it do you think they would be promoted the next season?

*I didn’t factor in the decimals on my last post.

Why are numbers not relevant when it doesn’t suit your argument?

If saints were relegated and sold their squad for £150m then spent £36m* replacing it do you think they would be promoted the next season?

*I didn’t factor in the decimals on my last post.
If the £36m was more than the rest of the league combined then yes.

That wasn’t the argument, the argument was that we spent more than anyone in the league so we should win it. So highest gross spenders in a league should win the league, completely ignoring the decimation of the club caused by removing all of its best players.
It’s a bit of a pointless argument as that is t what happened.
As usual with these things the truth lies somewhere in the middle. We lost a few players, we also kept a few who have always operated above this level, we also spent a lot but brought a lot of players in and had high turnover.

@Lucky1985 - out of curiosity, what were your thoughts on Benitez and Newcastle when they won the Championship 2 years ago? Did they do extremely well to win promotion (and the title), or did they simply just do what they were supposed to have done?

Lads, can we get a little perspective here? Since we drew yesterday I people have been complaining that we aren't good enough for the money we have spent on almost every thread. The thing is, you're only telling half the story. We spent nearly £4M because we sold nearly £20M, which is over £16M worth of 'talent' leaving the club more than the next closest team.

I understand that you're disappointed, we all are. but please stop using the money we have spent as a stick to beat the club with.

Team - Money Out - Money In - Net Spend

Portsmouth £149,000 £0 £149,000
Burton £0 £0 £0
Shrewsbury £0 £0 £0
Plymouth £0 £0 £0
Southend £0 £0 £0
Blackpool £0 £0 £0
Fleetwood £0 £0 £0
Doncaster £0 £0 £0
Oxford £0 £0 £0
Gillingham £0 £0 £0
Wimbledon £0 £0 £0
Walsall £0 £0 £0
Luton £0 £0 £0
wycombe £0 £0 £0
Rochdale £0 £149,000 -£149,000
Charlton £0 £430,000 -£430,000
Bradford £0 £608,000 -£608,000
Bristol £0 £756,000 -£756,000
Barnsley £594,000 £1,670,000 -£1,076,000
Coventry £0 £1,220,000 -£1,220,000
Scunthorpe £0 £1,460,000 -£1,460,000
Accrington £0 £1,620,000 -£1,620,000
Peterborough £648,000 £3,330,000 -£2,682,000
Sunderland £3,870,000 £19,790,000 -£15,920,000

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3
what about the £20m of outgoing fees this summer from us?

Portsmouth didn’t need to sell anybody, they improved their team by £149K, we worsened ours by £16M.
we didnt worsen it..we got rid of playwers that were crap...just because we got those millions..doesnt mean thwe players were good..

Last edited:
I hate this net spend rubbish, because it is out of context. The reality remains we've spent more than any club in the division, and anything less than promotion is underachievement.

What's so funny like.

If a team drops to an easier league then spends more than the rest of the league combined you would expect them to win the league.
So if Southampton lose every player in their squat at the end of the season, but they spend £50m buying an entirely new squad you think that they should be a shoe in for promotion. Even though they have one of the lowest average player values in the league, because they spent more than anyone else they should be promoted?

@Lucky1985 - out of curiosity, what were your thoughts on Benitez and Newcastle when they won the Championship 2 years ago? Did they do extremely well to win promotion (and the title), or did they simply just do what they were supposed to have done?
Honestly I didn’t really pay any attention to it so I don’t know what they spent and what they sold.

what about the £20m of outgoing fees this summer from us?

we didnt worsen it..we got rid of playwers that were crap...just because we got those millions..doesnt mean thwe players were good..
But someone thought they were better than the players we bought, otherwise they’d have taken the players we bought instead and saved themselves £16m

I hate this net spend rubbish, because it is out of context. The reality remains we've spent more than any club in the division, and anything less than promotion is underachievement.
How can you possibly argue it’s out of context?! You’re ignoring half of the data!

Last edited:
So if Southampton lose every player in their squat at the end of the season, but they spend £50m buying an entirely new squad you think that they should be a shoe in for promotion. Even though they have one of the lowest average player values in the league, because they spent more than anyone else they should be promoted?

Honestly I didn’t really pay any attention to it so I don’t know what they spent and what they sold.

Well they sold about 14 players for £90m (including their most talented players on paper), brought in about 20 players for £55m, and like us, kept a few of their players that took them down, but big upheaval and had a 'net spend' of around -£35m, yet still won the league. So similar to your Southampton example above and in many cases, similar to Ross' situation here.

Last edited:
Well they sold about 14 players for £90m (including their most talented players on paper), brought in about 20 players for £55m, and like us, kept a few of their players that took them down, but big upheaval and had a 'net spend' of around -£35m, yet still won the league. So similar to your Southampton example above and in many cases, similar to Ross' situation here.
Thing is we sold £19.79m, so they would have only been able to spend £17.5m if you use the same income/expenditure ratio we did this season, which is three times less than they did spend. So your argument is flawed.

Back