For the money we have spent

luton portsmouth and barnsley signed more new players than us.
How many of their starting lineups changed?

We have a new keeper, right back, both centr backs, one centre mid, right wing, centre attacking mid, and striker.

And a new manager, assistant manager, and whole coaching staff.

Even then Oviedo at left back has missed most of the season, Cattermole has been a bit part player this season as has Honeyman. For me McGeady has been the only real mainstay in the starting lineup from last year.

they did.
well dont know on pompey but barnsley and luton did.

We have a new keeper, right back, both centr backs, one centre mid, right wing, centre attacking mid, and striker.

Even then Oviedo at left back has missed most of the season, Cattermole has been a bit part player this season as has Honeyman. For me McGeady has been the only real mainstay in the starting lineup from last year.
honeyman has not been a bit part player.
barnsley signed more than 11 players..

Last edited:
well dont know on pompey but barnsley and luton did.

honeyman has not been a bit part player.
barnsley signed more than 11 players..
I notice you avoided the question. Of the signings each team made, how many of their starting lineups changed from last season?

I genuinely don’t know the answer but i would be astonished if it was as many as us.

I notice you avoided the question. Of the signings each team made, how many of their starting lineups changed from last season?

I genuinely don’t know the answer but i would be astonished if it was as many as us.
in this league its a frequent occurance-its very commonplace...and if those teams managers went out and signed more than 10 players and yet the lineups didnt change-those managers would therefore have managerd to sign 10 players worse than they had..which is unlikely..given the success of those teams.

The perspective we need is that we've spent 6x as much as anyone else in the division. The fact that only 4 teams had the luxury to spend money on transfer fees at all tells it's own story.

The other thing to bear in mind is the number of players we had to buy and integrate at once. Compare the top 4 squads from their last game and look at who the clubs bought last summer at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Portsmouth - of the starting 11, 4 weren't at the club last season
Luton - 4 were elsewhere last season
Barnsley - 2 were elsewhere last season
Sunderland 7 were elsewhere last season.

We had to spend more because we bought more players.

The other thing to bear in mind is the number of players we had to buy and integrate at once. Compare the top 4 squads from their last game and look at who the clubs bought last summer at https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

which starting 11 are you basing that on?

they brought in more players-they just didnt pay for them..

Cattermole has played 31 games this season.
Honeyman has played 39 games
McGeady has played 38 games.

Cattermole has played 31 games this season.
Honeyman has played 39 games
McGeady has played 38 games.
We’ve played 55 games so far.
Cattermole has played 56% of games.

Fair play honeyman has played more than I thought though and McGeady less. I still stand by my original point. Only 2 or 3 players who were regulars last season are regulars this season.

We’ve played 55 games so far.
Cattermole has played 56% of games.

Fair play honeyman has played more than I thought though and McGeady less. I still stand by my original point. Only 2 or 3 players who were regulars last season are regulars this season.
We also have about 6 full international, last seasons, 2 of last seasons top goalscorers in L1 and 3 players from the L1 champions.

You are making out that we had to grab a dozen players from nowhere. We didn't. We had the finances to go out and get quality additions to the squad by League One standards.

The problem is we wanted to put the roof on before we laid the foundations.

We are about 50 games into a season with 3 to go but we don't know what our best formation is or what our best XI is.

People have spent the last 2 or 3 years slating the mags for their net spend ramblings and now we are doing the same :lol:

My initial thoughts. In this instance or rather argument net spend doesn't matter at all, in fact it's a daft argument when most of the clubs at this level have been put together on fuck all in comparison. The fact is our actual spend on players dwarfs everyone elses.

Sure there's other things to consider and simply looking at spends doesn't tell the full story as we should know in that Maja signed as a kid was more valuable than Grigg signed for 3m rising to 4m and in terms of preparation and timing etc then the manager was working on short time and with a scouting network which had been cut back, had been a constant failure and which also probably wasn't prepared for this level. The fact remains though for the level and average spend at it, along with income we've spent an amount akin or probably more to the kind of spend we slated Benitez for spending to get the mags out of the Championship.

Luton have used 28 players this season (league)

Sunderland have used 31 players (league)

You are making out that we had to grab a dozen players from nowhere. We didn't. We had the finances to go out and get quality additions to the squad by League One standards.

TBF we signed one or two early on the manager clearly wanted like McGeouch and Mclaughlin and then several others were brought into the club for very little, possibly in haste to make up numbers as we missed out on others. That wasn't done too cheaply, but we were never going to get it 100% right given the lack of time to do quite a lot.

Why can’t people just acknowledge that for the size of our club, the budget available, the size of the squad and the facilities at our disposal that we will have underachieved if we aren’t automatically promoted?

Aye there may be some mitigating factors but haway man lets just be honest. The league is atrocious and, as a club, we’ve made hard work out of it when in reality we should be getting out of this league comfortably. If anyone says ‘Leeds / Sheff United didn’t etc’ then I’d respond by saying they were also under achieving in not getting out of this league instantly despite mitigating factors.

Back