For the Mask Debaters

You might be right ,but it will make them wear something, because these ebay mask exemption badges are just a piss take, and selfish liars are wearing them so as to get away with following rules.
One or two of these I've seen look like Morrisons clubcards.
A person with a genuine disability should have an official exemption card.
I wouldn't go as far as saying they should have a card, that's a bit OTT, anyone in receipt of care or support for conditions precluding wearing a mask absolutley will have the means for them to get the things they need without being put in a position that they have to be out themselves or put in a position where they are not supported by someone while doing so.

Anyone deciding on the other hand that a mask is a genuine issue to their wellbeing but who otherwise goes about their life without considering their condition as an impediment - well, that's not how it works. Feeling uncomfortable or not liking something etc is not a medical condition. Being anxious about something in an isolated specific situation different from what you're used to for 3example is not remotiey the same as being diagnosed with anxiety.

I have just posted this same thing on another thread. My daughter has severe learning disabilities and is mentally like a toddler, she has to come everywhere with me but won't keep a mask on for one second. She is mentally like a toddler and doesn't understand what they are for. I am a single Mam with no one else to look after her so she has no choice but to come with me wherever I go. I can't just make her 'stay away' from places where masks need to be worn.

not being funny but if she is an adult with the mental age of a toddler it’s probably blindingly obvious that she is not normal and people won’t be arsed if she isn’t wearing a mask.

not being funny but if she is an adult with the mental age of a toddler it’s probably blindingly obvious that she is not normal and people won’t be arsed if she isn’t wearing a mask.
Exactly, she is also in a wheelchair so it’s very obvious. But some people on here are insisting absolutely no one without exception should be allowed in places without a mask, including people like my daughter who simply can not wear one.

Exactly, she is also in a wheelchair so it’s very obvious. But some people on here are insisting absolutely no one without exception should be allowed in places without a mask, including people like my daughter who simply can not wear one.

id leave her in the car with an iPad and a massive bag of fruit pastilles. Win win.

I wish it was that easy. I cant drive and she would just fling an iPad anyway - she doesn’t have a clue what one is or how to use one. She needs 24 hour care and can’t be left alone at all so she really does have to come with me wherever I go.

fair play. I can’t begin to imagine how energy sapping that must be for you.

Despite posters here saying everyone should wear masks, I don't think they mean people like your daughter or my son. I have had no problems, it's obvious my son has a physical/learning disability. Staff and the public in shops/ public places have been very helpful, understanding and supportive. Many people have offered us places at the front of queues, which I don't accept if queue short. If a long queue we just use his wheelchair. I don't leave him him in the car, that's like a double lockdown; he has his own shopping and things to sort out.

I have just posted this same thing on another thread. My daughter has severe learning disabilities and is mentally like a toddler, she has to come everywhere with me but won't keep a mask on for one second. She is mentally like a toddler and doesn't understand what they are for. I am a single Mam with no one else to look after her so she has no choice but to come with me wherever I go. I can't just make her 'stay away' from places where masks need to be worn.
People like your daughter are obvious exemptions which should not be questioned.
Its people who are claiming unnecessary exemptions who shouldn't be going to areas where you need masks as it's for the protection of others not just themselves.
Once you allow exceptions for example anxiety, panic attacks it just devalues the whole point if it.

I hope you're pretending to be drunk & not mocking someone with a learning disability...

No I am mocking people that were told one thing in March (as per the video) by a mainstream media company and now do exactly the opposite. I think there are papers on this, along the line of stop repeating something and then after 28 days a large majority forget the original message, not quite sure. Having said that looking back at the recent thread posts I can see how you might come to your conclusion, that is not the case.

The efficacy of wearing a cloth mask in Lidl or Waitrose is up for debate but there is no reason not to do it. Unless, there is an argument that the masks make things worse, which I am yet to hear.
That is not quite true. There were a few pre-covid studies that said wearing a mask could be damaging for the health of a wearer if worn for more than 20 minutes. So they can have a negative effect.

However, while a home made cotton mask has not been proven to be effective, there are indications from preliminary studies that they help a bit and in the case of covid, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

That is not quite true. There were a few pre-covid studies that said wearing a mask could be damaging for the health of a wearer if worn for more than 20 minutes. So they can have a negative effect.

However, while a home made cotton mask has not been proven to be effective, there are indications from preliminary studies that they help a bit and in the case of covid, the benefits outweigh the negatives.

It is up for debate though and it was true that I had not heard any arguments having a negative effect.

Conclusion:
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

Conclusion:
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.
Right, but aside from any other issues with that study the main argument for masks wasn't self protection.

The anti mask thing is so f***ing weird. The evidence is clearly, at worst, in debate so given the possible costs of not wearing one (lengthening a deadly pandemic, death etc) vs wearing one (mild discomfort, a minor impact on liberty?), what kind of tit do you have to be to object? Baffling

Right, but aside from any other issues with that study the main argument for masks wasn't self protection.

The anti mask thing is so f***ing weird. The evidence is clearly, at worst, in debate so given the possible costs of not wearing one (lengthening a deadly pandemic, death etc) vs wearing one (mild discomfort, a minor impact on liberty?), what kind of tit do you have to be to object? Baffling
That is how I feel. I do have doubts about the effectiveness and I personally hate wearing one. For me, there are places I've not been or shops I've not gone to (butchers, diy, garden centres) just because I don't want to wear one. But the places I do have to go (supermarket and certain places at work) then I put one one. I don't like it and even if it just reduces risk to others by 5%, it reduces risk to others. I'd rather go with putting one on and thinking it might be bollocks, and perhaps find out I'm right, than not wear one and find out I was wrong.

People like to feel they are in control and when they are ordered to do something, it shows they are not in control. I think half of those rebelling are not objecting to masks but objecting to control and orders.

Conclusion:

Yet again you havent actually read it have you :-

These findings do offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Conclusion:
The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings (22). This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks.
Yet again you havent actually read it have you :-

These findings do offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Bastard 😂

Back