Football programmes

I've got a shit load of stuff to get rid of and includes old programmes and SAFC related memorabilia from years ago. I bought most of it in the mid 2000's from various sources when I had a splurge buying SAFC related stuff but I haven't even looked at it all. It's all in boxes and all I can remember is that I've got this! :lol::lol:

I'm going to sell it all eventually when I get the time, in 1 lump and let someone else sort out the valuable stuff as I'm not selling it all individually, fuck that!

:EDIT: hmmmm sold for £25.90 back in 2016 on ebay LINK Love Cloughy though as my Grandad loved him so I may still keep it as he was probably at the game.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited by a moderator:
Try SAFCSA shop at the Wheatsheaf. The phone number is on their site.

Good read, Baxter seemed to call all the shots in those days. Didn't he get his cousin Kinnel signed.
The first home game of the 67 68 season Baxter was sent off in a midweek 3 nil win over Fulham. Players were rarely given marching orders in that era. I recall clinging to a roof support post in the Fulwell End with my dad in close attendance seeing Baxter and a Fulham player having a punch up with players from both sides standing back and watching. This was the beginning of the end for Baxter at Roker and was only months after he had orchestrated a famous Scottish victory over world cup winners England at Wembley. He was transferred in the December . Ian McColl who had signed him from Rangers and failed to impose any discipline on either Baxter or his growing number of Scottish team mates was sacked.

I've got a football echo/pink? somewhere in me house from the 37 cup final. Worth out?..might donate it to fans museum.

If you have say the home game v villa circa 1962 you could easily get over £100

I think that there is one v Oldham that is equally valuable.’might be around the same time or mixed up between the two but there are certain programmes after the 50s that can fetch quite a bit

I dont collect them but know people who do

I've got the home game v Villa Sat 12th Jan '62, but can't see an Oldham one.

The fans museum might take them off your hands?
The first home game of the 67 68 season Baxter was sent off in a midweek 3 nil win over Fulham. Players were rarely given marching orders in that era. I recall clinging to a roof support post in the Fulwell End with my dad in close attendance seeing Baxter and a Fulham player having a punch up with players from both sides standing back and watching. This was the beginning of the end for Baxter at Roker and was only months after he had orchestrated a famous Scottish victory over world cup winners England at Wembley. He was transferred in the December . Ian McColl who had signed him from Rangers and failed to impose any discipline on either Baxter or his growing number of Scottish team mates was sacked.

Baxter was his usual self, confident, cocky with silky skills, delightful to watch and with a wand of a left foot. It was said he was two moves ahead of his team mates. Idolised by our fans but not frightened to get stuck in. He was his own worst enemy and enjoyed the drink too much, especially before important matches.
I remember him being carried by Bobby Kerr and George Kinnell out of Wetheralls. The following day he starred in a 3-0 win against the Mags and he terrorised and humiliated their helpless players. Pele said he wished he was Brazilian.
Neil Martin, Colin Suggett and Ralph Brand scored for us, in the Fulham game, much to the annoyance of a cocky Allan Clarke who got some stick. This was before he moved on to Revie's cheats. Fulham also had George Cohen of World Cup fame and Johnny Haynes playing that night.

The post 50s league ones are worth next to nowt marra. I’ve got loads myself. There’s a 73 cup run one worth ower £100.
I have the full set from the 1973 cup run, home and away ( including the Notts County highly collectible ), from 3rd round up to and including the final. Any reasonable offer invited ?

I've got a shit load of stuff to get rid of and includes old programmes and SAFC related memorabilia from years ago. I bought most of it in the mid 2000's from various sources when I had a splurge buying SAFC related stuff but I haven't even looked at it all. It's all in boxes and all I can remember is that I've got this! :lol::lol:

I'm going to sell it all eventually when I get the time, in 1 lump and let someone else sort out the valuable stuff as I'm not selling it all individually, fuck that!

:EDIT: hmmmm sold for £25.90 back in 2016 on ebay LINK Love Cloughy though as my Grandad loved him so I may still keep it as he was probably at the game.

Logon or register to see this image
Got this programme and its autographed by Cloughie !!

Last edited:
I have the full set from the 1973 cup run, home and away ( including the Notts County highly collectible ), from 3rd round up to and including the final. Any reasonable offer invited ?!
I saw it at the only programme fair I’ve ever been in at Sussex cricket ground in hHove about 15 yrs back. Feller wanted £120. Naaaaaah

Ebay has brought down the price of programmes a lot. Previously there were only a handful of dealers that anyone knew, and they pretty much dictated the market. They bought cheaply, because they knew you didn't really know anyone else to sell it to, and sold at top prices, because they knew buyers didn't know where else to go.

Nowadays, anyone can sell on ebay, and everyone who wants to buy can see every seller. Programmes that used to go for £100 plus are now around the £40 mark.

That said, you should still be able to get a decent price for the 40s stuff.

Back