Football match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
Injured at the moment so decided this was a good excuse to take the new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 out for a spin.

Right, bear in mind this is my first attempt shooting sport, and the first time I've actually used a zoom lens at all, so be nice with the critique!

Some good shots, some not so good. I'll get there with practice I'm sure. It took a bit of getting used to and I think I got the hang of it a bit better as the game went on. I also found 200mm to be a bit short when I was trying to get people's faces in; I'm on the edge of the pitch people are usually facing away from you unless they're on the other side of the pitch.

These were with my 40D, with AI Servo focussing (took a bit of getting used to, and some of the shots had to be written off due to it focussing in the wrong place).

Logon or register to see this image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46392374@N02/5411223146/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46392374@N02/5411221340/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46392374@N02/5411219484/

More on the photostream if you click on them.

Cheers.

I think the shots look pretty good mate, kind of pictures I get in my local paper.

well captured action shots.

I would love to try this, keep up the job shots

ps: does your son or mate play in the team?

I think the shots look pretty good mate, kind of pictures I get in my local paper.

well captured action shots.

I would love to try this, keep up the job shots

ps: does your son or mate play in the team?

Thanks. I play in the team usually. It's an intra-mural Uni team (I'm 22), but I've done my back in at the moment. I'll probably get out again soon. I'm shooting my flatmate's American football (douche) match tomorrow under floodlights, so I'll have to see how the 40D copes with the high ISO.

Great shots mate. Im really interested in Sports Photography, especially Football, but what type of camera/lens do you need? I still havnt bought a camera yet, basically because I dont know which one to buy! Clyde on here recommended the Sony A390 (I think) to start off, but I dont know if this would be good to take sports shots. Any info would be much appreciated.

Pretty much any DSLR camera would be fine, but you'll need to a zoom lens. This was taken with a 70-200mm. The main thing is to use a high shutter speed (more than 1/600) and try to anticipate the events and move about accordingly.

Great shots mate. Im really interested in Sports Photography, especially Football, but what type of camera/lens do you need? I still havnt bought a camera yet, basically because I dont know which one to buy! Clyde on here recommended the Sony A390 (I think) to start off, but I dont know if this would be good to take sports shots. Any info would be much appreciated.

tbh its more about the lens than the camera if you not going to go at professional level.

the a390 would be as ideal as any if its just a hobby etc

Some really nice shots there, especially the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back