Football Manager 2020

Just resigned from Sunderland, club got taken over by a proper joker, transfer budget of 85k one season in championship then I gave it another season and got given 1m second season

Well Season 5 with Vasas was quite the adventure.

I said that this year I needed to win a a trophy and my team delivered that in style in the Hungarian cup final. I scraped through several rounds of the competition but in the final, my opponents just fell apart. The first trophy (other than Division 2 title) that this club has won in 51 years!

Logon or register to see this image

My league form on the other hand was terrible. One day after the Hungarian Transfer window closed, Man Utd met the buy out clause of my first choice left back. A Chinese club followed it up by meeting the release clause of my star right winger. I couldn't replace them until January and, along with an injury crisis and cup runs, I couldn't keep a full team fit. I dropped too many points along the way and finished 4th. Ferencvaros won the title for the 7th straight season. That has to be my major goal next season.

The most exciting part of my season though was undoubtedly my European Adventures. After miraculously qualifying for the Group Stages of the Champions League by beating PSV, I was drawn in a group with PSG, Inter and Ajax :lol: I didn't disgrace myself though (worst defeat being 4-1 at PSG) and after impressive wins home and away to Ajax, I secured 3rd spot and qualified for the Europa League.

In the first knockout round of the Europa League, I managed to beat AS Saint Etienne 4-2 on Aggregate to set myself up with an incredible 2nd round draw with Borussia Dortmund. A brilliant 1-1 draw at home to Dortmund should have been the highlight of my season, but then this happened:

https://ibb.co/j8k81Wm

My exciting Vasas team faced the yellow wall and drove straight through it!! :cool:

Bizarrely the draw was really good for me (and Hungarian football) as the Quarter Final saw my Vasas team play city rivals Ferencvaros. A Hungarian team was going to be in the semi final of a European Competition for the first time since Ujpest lost to Bayern Munich in 1974. Ferencvaros are massively dominant in the League but I dispatched of them no problem winning 5-1 on aggregate.

Vasas were in the Semi Finals of the Europa League and about to face Real Madrid! I decided to continue with my all out attacking style that had yielded good results so far. A Hungarian team playing a WM formation was a nod to greatness. I played well in the home leg and got a credible 1-1 draw.

The away leg in the Bernabeu was a different story though. I played terribly, only managing 2 shots on target to Real's 24 and had a man sent off...

https://ibb.co/n1JdtZ7

But it was a successful smash and grab!! An absolutely insane result. Little Vasas from Hungary with their 1200 season ticket holders knocked out the mighty Real Madrid.

It did end there though, Man Utd beat me 3-0 in the final. Nothing I could do to get close to them!

Still, it's an incredible achievement for Vasas. The clubs reputation and Hungary's co-efficient should go through the roof now which will help with qualifying for future tournaments.

Next year though I'm not in the Champions League. The league will get all of my efforts and hopefully my improved reputation will help me keep my stars and sign some new ones.

Just finished my 3rd season, 1st back in the prem with Sunderland. Somehow I finished 5th, yet Donald is unhappy I didn't finish in a champions league place. Yet he won't budge on the 5 year plan of battling relegation each year.
Still can't get rid of will grigg, managed to get him out on loan half of last season, he still has 1 year left on his contract.
Willis and power done well this season, still have gooch and onein in the squad

Just finished my 3rd season, 1st back in the prem with Sunderland. Somehow I finished 5th, yet Donald is unhappy I didn't finish in a champions league place. Yet he won't budge on the 5 year plan of battling relegation each year.
Still can't get rid of will grigg, managed to get him out on loan half of last season, he still has 1 year left on his contract.
Willis and power done well this season, still have gooch and onein in the squad

Why you kept them plodders for 3 seasons? More to the point how did you get promoted twice and finish 5th in Orem with them 🤷‍♂️ Even worse how you still got SD as you owner, he always sells up first season on mine

Why you kept them plodders for 3 seasons? More to the point how did you get promoted twice and finish 5th in Orem with them 🤷‍♂️ Even worse how you still got SD as you owner, he always sells up first season on mine
I get the odd news article that Donald rubbishes takeover talk.
Power and Willis have played around 20 odd games each in the prem and done OK, power the better performer, though mumba has been starting ahead of him towards end of the season.
Managed to sign a few decent frees at the end of my 2nd season, 22yr old centre half from Madrid, an 18yr old wonder kid keeper from Milan, my main striker I had him on loan from lyon in league 1 and champ, and managed to sign him when got to the prem, he's only 22 and got 19 goals for me in the prem. My other striker is some Norwegian 21yr old, again signed him when in the championship on a free. Think I've been lucky with my scouting and signing players. Neglected my scouting this season, so I don't have any freebies coming in on 1st July. I'm hoping Donald gets his chequebook out

Hume was valued at 10.75 million at his height for me, no one was willing to pay anywhere near that though, Rangers offered 5 million and I snapped their hands off :lol:

Bellingham signed for the scum in my first season unfortunately :(
I sold hume to wigan for 500k and a few years later he wasnt on the game hahaha.

I think I found a similar bug the other day on my plymouth save. Its not an obvious cheat like that one but I'm assuming it is actually a bug.

Watford came in for my keeper in Jan and I didnt want to sell but if i did then I wanted to loan him back for the remainder of the season. If you ask to loan the player back and say you'll pay their wages you can negotiate ridiculously high fees. They had offered £1.5m and I asked for £10m plus a whole host of add ons plus a loan back clause expecting them to fuck off or haggle and they accepted it. Tried with the next bidder and got them up to £25m - that was as high as I could get them. Like I say its not an obvious cheat but it does seem like a bug.

Season 6 with Vasas was one of complete domination!!

Not only did I retain the Hungarian cup but I finally managed to take the title from Ferencvaros in very impressive style.

Logon or register to see this image

Oh, and I went one step further in the Europa League this season, beating Milan in the Final! :D

https://ibb.co/WPNSyZC

That bit of narrative at the bottom pisses me off mind. I won 2 League titles at Madrid and I've won several trophies since, I doubt anyone is worrying about a Super Cup defeat 12 years ago :lol:

My Europa League performances were tremendous for the most part. I coasted through my group with Krasnodar, Kobenhavn and Steaua Bucharest. I then comfortably dispatched Ajax and Eintracht Frankfurt. Liverpool in the semis were tougher, but I won on away goals and deserved it. Milan in the final was ridiculous. I was easily the better team and they scored late twice to pull me back and take it to penalties.

My old school Hungarian tactic seems to have worked a treat. Below is my version of the WM. It's taken a lot of tweaking with certain positions, but it's highly effective in attack, giving me so many options. I've finished the season with 8 players (3 subs) scoring double figures. It does leave me ridiculously wide open at the back but it's worth the risk.

https://ibb.co/TwPt4kd

I did spend more money this year than last - this is the first year that I've had a net spend at the club. I had a lot of money after my European performances last year. My big spend was an £11m midfielder. He's just consistently performing. I turned down £23m from Liverpool in January and he keeps getting linked with Barcelona. I will sell him in the summer if someone bids over £50m for him.

I've played the game pretty intensely over the last month so I think I may have a little break before I carry on and see if I can make little Vasas the European Champions.

I've played the game pretty intensely over the last month
This sounds familiar :lol:

Currently Jan 2026 with Sunderland. 3 points off top. Just bought 1 CB who's now my #1 and a Ball winning mid that is on par with the other 2 options I have at 3*, but has 4.5%(and half a black star) potential. So I'll ease him in and he'll be first choice next year. Only problem is, those other 2 were my captain and vice captain. Need to be careful how I play this....

I think our lass is getting annoyed with me playing it 😂 when am on days off she gets in from work and I’m on it, when I get in from work I put it on, weekends I’m on it 😂 quite sad really but I’m addicted to it 😂

Flying with Sunderland now, Moise Kean has been an absolute beast for me.

Team as follows :-

Farinez
Sibaya Mepham Saliba Lewis
Gravenberch Jeremy
Greenwood Brewster Cherki
Kean

Gunn, Justin, Firpo, Nteka, Gacinovic, Semlali.
Few players have been and gone, Gotze and Henderson being the most common. Also flogged Neco Williams for 35M.

Flying with Sunderland now, Moise Kean has been an absolute beast for me.

Team as follows :-

Farinez
Sibaya Mepham Saliba Lewis
Gravenberch Jeremy
Greenwood Brewster Cherki
Kean

Gunn, Justin, Firpo, Nteka, Gacinovic, Semlali.
Few players have been and gone, Gotze and Henderson being the most common. Also flogged Neco Williams for 35M.
If that's Lewis the lad from Liverpool, that's the only player we have in common. And I sold him just a few hours ago as he was only 2.5* with no potential to improve. £20m isn't bad, replaced for £27m with another 2.5* but 4.5* potential.

If that's Lewis the lad from Liverpool, that's the only player we have in common. And I sold him just a few hours ago as he was only 2.5* with no potential to improve. £20m isn't bad, replaced for £27m with another 2.5* but 4.5* potential.
Jamal Lewis mate from Norwich, turns out class.

Current squad at Feb 2026 - I literally have 2 full teams saves, and flip between them when the A team isn't fully fit. Means I can play 2 games a week without any worries at all.

GK Gasparini or Raul Flores
RB Wan-Bissaka or Porro
CB Costa or Lukic
CB Roberts or Varnier
LB Olazola or Ahmed Ali
CM Ronaldo Viera or Karanka
CM Gallagher or Alex Medez or Marcol Gill
RW Chong or Harvey Elliot
LW Hudon-Odoi or Barco
CAM Bellingham or Mark Bonnot
CF Celio Gabriel or Lopez or Esposito

LB is the weakest at 2.5* but both of them have 4* and 1black*
RW is probably my next area of focus, but I'm struggling to find any right-sided Inside Forwards
Bellingham is my top player at 4.5*

Back