Football Manager 2020

I've decided to give my AZ game a little break and start a fresh with Nashville SC and their introduction to MLS (Inspired by @coyneeee). The idea that the expectation of the club in season 1 is simply not to finish last was particularly appealing because it should give me time to do this MLS save in American sports style and build a team through the draft.

In Real Life, Nashville are due to move to a new stadium in 2022 but it doesn't seem to be in the game, so the current 10,000 seat stadium may be a challenge.

I've no real clue how to do this, so it's probably a bit of an experiment and I'll go all out in FM21 when I suspect all the latest franchises will be added to make the league more significant.

As I've got no games for a whole season (with the exception of the MLS cup), I've organised a series of friendlies in the build up to get my teams fitness and familiarity together. The most famous being fellow new franchise club Inter Miami.

The club has no transfer budget and I'm not sure how the draft works just yet, so I've looked into the free transfer market for my first signings:

1) A 20 year old Colombian striker who isn't much, but has potential to be my best striker.

2) The MLS legend, all time top scorer, model citizen and big name potentially fan favourite, 33 year old Bradley Wright Phillips. I've signed him until the end of the season with an option of a 1 year extension, but essentially he's to mentor my younger players.

3) Kim Ki-Hi - 29 year old South Korean international centre back, who has just left Seattle. He becomes my best defender and a leader in this brand new squad.

Looking forward to figuring out how this all works.

Why are you signing people if you've not a league place til the next season? Don't make the mistake. You're essentially losing club balance, which Nashville don't have much of, to sit there for a year aside from the MLS cup for a full year.

As I've said mentioned there's 4 different drafts - The shit players draft, the squad filler draft, the newgen draft, the superstar draft.

You want to be making zero signings unless a genuine 4-5 star player is affordable until the 20-21 draft, in the meantime any players you don't want you want to be trading for their Superdraft picks.
The squad you start off is full of trash and more importantly, they're mainly foreigners who count towards the 8 non Americans you can only register. The designated player AMC who's on an absurd £16k p/w is the only person who survived my cull.

Last edited:

Why are you signing people if you've not a league place til the next season? Don't make the mistake. You're essentially losing club balance, which Nashville don't have much of, to sit there for a year aside from the MLS cup for a full year.

As I've said mentioned there's 4 different drafts - The shit players draft, the squad filler draft, the newgen draft, the superstar draft.

You want to be making zero signings unless a genuine 4-5 star player is affordable until the 20-21 draft, in the meantime any players you don't want you want to be trading for their Superdraft picks.
The squad you start off is full of trash and more importantly, they're mainly foreigners who count towards the 8 non Americans you can only register. The designated player AMC who's on an absurd £16k p/w is the only person who survived my cull.

Yeah, I've recognised the stupidity of signing people. The Korean centre back will be fine next season by I've dropped a clanger with BWP. I had him signed for 9 months with an extension if he played 15 games, but I didn't realise Nashville played games that I couldn't see in the background and he's picked up an extension.

I've struggled to move on most of my players but I'm sitting with the 1st, 10th and 24th picks in the draft after a couple of deals.

I reached the QF of the US cup before losing 2-0 to NYCFC.

Bizarrely, the winners of the MLS were 650/1 shot Minnesota United. They were statistically the worst team to qualify for the playoffs, but managed to win it :lol:

It's ridiculous the random knowledge you get from being a fan of this game. I knew just from the name of the club that they were Swedish, they play in red and yellow and back in an early Champ Man, they had Sharbel Touma who was a ridiculously good left winger :oops:
I forgot about Touma, used to always sign him

Just downloaded the game, starting with the lads (obviously), any recommendations? Players to keep/sell, who to buy? Also wtf is these social groups about? Do they have an effect on the game in a whole?

Just downloaded the game, starting with the lads (obviously), any recommendations? Players to keep/sell, who to buy? Also wtf is these social groups about? Do they have an effect on the game in a whole?
Only played for a few weeks during the free release but decided not to bother because my PC was a liability with it. I recommend Angel Gomes on loan from United. Was excellent for me until he got injured

A dramatic end to the season with Syrianska ended up with us one place above relegation play offs thanks to an 83rd minute winner in the last game of the season to jump two places from third to fifth bottom and secure our place in the first division.

Decided to stay another season and see what we could achieve despite having no money and now predicted to finish bottom of the league. Sold a load of deadwood and managed to bring in a few decent players from the division below so hoping for something half decent at least.

My current is one of my favourite for a while. Started with Bolton got promoted first season, left bottom of the league in the Championship half way through next season. Took over Gateshead in the Jan and got promoted.
I am now in the Championship with Gateshead after consecutive promotions.
I was also briefly the Ghana manager before Belgium offered me the job.
Haven’t won in 7 games in the Champ so not holding out much hope of staying up

MLS football in FM replicates real life pretty well.

Forwards are miles better than the defences which leads to upsets quite often.

The likes of Altidore and Vela just tear your team apart like :D

Oddly enough it was Portland Timbers who won the 20-21 season.

Season 1
Started as Sunderland
No real incomings other than kids to bulk out the U18s/U23s
One Exit - Joel Lynch for 100k in Feb.

Ipswich ran away with the league with 94 points.
I was second basically all season. I got sacked for not being top. Reinstalled myself as a new manager and got us promoted coming second on 76 points.

Semenyo scored 20, Grigg got 10, Gooch 12
Power and Gooch were my top rated players

Season 2
Spent 11 mil - Dabo 1.5 mil (Cov) Demble 1.5 mil (posh) Clark-Harris 2.5 mil (Birstol Rovers) Bright Enobakhare Loan, then purchase 2 mil (Wolves)
9 mil in - Wyke 500k, Tommy smith 1.5 mil and Dobson 6 mil
Clark-Harris scored 11 and Bright Enobakhare scored 17
Luke Garbutt was my best player with Dabo not far behind

I got 3 points less than last season but only came 8th. Think I over achieved.

Season 3
Spent 1.5 mil on Levitt (Man U) after pleading with the board. He wasnt even any good! Wickham and Sims came in on a free. In January I managed to get rid of some of the old guard to afford a loan for Garner who was key for the promotion.
2.7 mil in - Sold Willis , Scowen and Power, loaned out Dembele
Clark-Harris got 17, Wickham got 17, Gooch got 10, Sims got 11
Dabo and Garbutt were stand outs but all of the defence were good.

Came second with 88 points. Fulham won the league with 98.
Us and Newcastle were going for second place. Between us we won 3 games out of the last 10. So I held on!

Season 4
Panic bought the players I had in on loan
Garner 11 mil (Man U), Palmer-Brown 1 mil (City) Molumby 7.5 mil (Brighton)
Got a few more players in on loan and replaced my GK.
Let gooch and Onien go for 6.5 and 1.5 mil

Got smashed in my first few games. Pleaded with the board for more money and they gave it too me! Matondo (Schalke) and Tshibuabua (Saint Ettiene) have made a massive difference
Nearly all my players are 26 or under. The aim is to stay up and sort the clubs finances out.
After 10 games
Brighton 1 point
Fulham 5 points
Forest 6 points
Sunderland 11 points
13th only have 12 points.
Would take 17th now!

Currently on my 1st season with the lads. Started off drawing a lot of games a bit like Jack Ross, however build a bit of momentum recently where I'm still unbeaten in the league after 26 games and 10 points clear.

Only made 2 signings, Stefan Schrock, pretty shite. We were taken over and in the Jan transfer window the new chairman bought Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers for 2.1 million....

Standout players, Maguire, Hume, and Charlie Wyke! :lol:

So far in 1st season with the lads, played 2 won 2, sold Lynch, Gooch, Wyke, and loaned out Watmore.

Brought in Perry Ng, parrot from spurs, gomes from man utd, callum Kerr from Dundee utd (I think?)

Still need a couple of pacey CB's, suggestions welcome

Back