Football Manager 2020

About ten games into my first season in the championship and I keep drawing 0-0. I'm bossing every game with possession and shots etc but just can't score.

Started with Bolton instead of the lads, as I couldn’t face repeating last years game almost identically.

First season got them to 5th, not bad considering the points deduction. Finished second in the second season despite the massive financial constraints.

Currently 15 points from 9 games in the Championship, sat 9th at present. Only got a wage budget of £80k, average for the division is 400k with two of the relegated sides up at £950k per week, so happy that we’re able to compete. Got a few consortiums sniffing around so hopefully something happens. Currently paying off a £60m debt at £1m a month with a £2m a month turnover so isn’t easy financially - thankfully sold players to the value of around £15m to keep us afloat so far

Dumb question 1.

I have O'Nien training as a wing-back, but is this the same thing as him retraining in that position?

Dumb question 2.

My data analysis is recommending huge numbers of young South Americans who will never get a work permit - how can I make him stop or refocus?

Dumb question 1.

I have O'Nien training as a wing-back, but is this the same thing as him retraining in that position?

Dumb question 2.

My data analysis is recommending huge numbers of young South Americans who will never get a work permit - how can I make him stop or refocus?

Yes

You need to change the scouting assignments to not cover whatever’s triggering it - young players, South American’s, whatever it is.

Yes

You need to change the scouting assignments to not cover whatever’s triggering it - young players, South American’s, whatever it is.
Cheers,

I looked around trying to find how to change that but couldn't work it out. Do I need to 'unlock' them from doing their own thing first or something?

I gained a bit more control but I think he might just be a loose cannon. Maybe cause he's just a Data Analyst it's a given he'll just keep boshing away.

I was worried my constant reviewing of these S America kids was why I was losing so much money but I guess he's just meant to be some kid behind a computer.

Dumb question 3.

Should I be losing +£1m a month, is promotion going to fix that or am I screwed?

About to start my first transfer window. Already locked Maddison in and fucked Grigg off to play in the US.

Last night I had probably the best idea I've had in a game and appointed Kevin Philips as my assistant.

Everyone loves me!

Scratch that, Steve Evans thinks my success is undeserved. Steve Evans is going f***ing down.

Last edited:
Football finance is an awkward one tbh. Always hard to know where you are at financially as in football most of the revenue is generated in June. Obviously you have all of the season ticket money paid in June time, but also there are the positional bonuses, a large quantity of the tv money and all of your transfer income comes in during the summer. So typically clubs will make a fortune in June and lose money the rest of the year round - quite hard therefore to calculate where you are at mid-year. There is a projections sheet which can help out, but also just gut instinct and knowing where you are at with your budgets

Dumb question 1.

Dumb question 2.

I don’t know if FM19 is the same as FM20 but there are some bargains to be had by signing young players who can’t get a work permit, they’re much much cheaper. If you get an affiliate club you can get them a work permit in a few of seasons.

What tactical style do people use with Sunderland? I struggled to get results with all but the gegenpress but even that produced some rotten results at times.

I don’t know if FM19 is the same as FM20 but there are some bargains to be had by signing young players who can’t get a work permit, they’re much much cheaper. If you get an affiliate club you can get them a work permit in a few of seasons.
Still seems to be a thing but my virtual SD wants me to focus on our youth teams so won't arrange an overseas affiliate. I've poached a load of young Italians & Spanish at the end of their Roma U20/Barca B etc contracts instead.

What tactical style do people use with Sunderland? I struggled to get results with all but the gegenpress but even that produced some rotten results at times.
i play vertical tiki taka 4-2-3-1 and gegen press 4-1-2-2-1. also tested a 4-4-2 direct with wide midfielders too. normally set up before each fixture depending on who / whats in front of you.

Smashed Division 3 at my first attempt with 5-2-3, attacking, fluid counter, alternating between wide wingers and narrow AMs (5-2-2-1?) depending on the game.

Was driving my assistants mad though and the success felt more to do with poor opposition than real dominance so I've moved to a 4-4-2 diamond gegenpress as my primary instead of the narrow 5-2-3. Great in preseason, solid 0-0 with Fulham first game.

Kept the wide 5-2-3 for special occasions but McGeady's taken his foot off the gas so doubt it'll see much use.

Last edited:
4th season. Second one with Norwich after finishing 11th.
Hammered the mags by 6 then put 4 past Everton. Sent to bed. Loaded it up again and today I cant score at all.
Any tactics previously used seem to just not work at all now. Even the few plug and play ones I've tried.

Got back to back promotions with the lads- Finishing second in both League 1 and the Championship.

Donald only gave me £20mill to spend in the first Prem season but i managed to end up 10th which i'm delighted with. Just got my budget through for season 4 and it's £50mill. Has anybody had a takeover happen on theres?

My squad is as follows:-

GK 1- Ubehaun, 2- Moult
RB-1- Sterling, 2- Frimpong
LB-1- Williams (on loan from Man U), 2- Highfield (regen)
LCB- 1- O'Connell, 2- Celso (regen)
RCB- 1- Adarabioyo, 2- Robinson
RM- 1- Rodriguez, 2- Wright-Phillips
LM- 1- Ruiz (on loan from Barca B), 2- Eze
RCM-1-Dobson, 2- Mumba
LCM- 1- DaSilva, 2- Singh
STR- 1- Semenyo, 2- Maja
STL- 1- Nketiah (on loan from Arsenal), 2- Coly (on loan from Lyon)

I have a strict rule where i must have a English player as an option for every player.

Donald sold Mumba behind my back now one of the boards concerns is the finances involved in the deal.

f***ing pathetic.
You can't fault them for realism mind.
Got back to back promotions with the lads- Finishing second in both League 1 and the Championship.

Donald only gave me £20mill to spend in the first Prem season but i managed to end up 10th which i'm delighted with. Just got my budget through for season 4 and it's £50mill. Has anybody had a takeover happen on theres?

My squad is as follows:-

GK 1- Ubehaun, 2- Moult
RB-1- Sterling, 2- Frimpong
LB-1- Williams (on loan from Man U), 2- Highfield (regen)
LCB- 1- O'Connell, 2- Celso (regen)
RCB- 1- Adarabioyo, 2- Robinson
RM- 1- Rodriguez, 2- Wright-Phillips
LM- 1- Ruiz (on loan from Barca B), 2- Eze
RCM-1-Dobson, 2- Mumba
LCM- 1- DaSilva, 2- Singh
STR- 1- Semenyo, 2- Maja
STL- 1- Nketiah (on loan from Arsenal), 2- Coly (on loan from Lyon)

I have a strict rule where i must have a English player as an option for every player.

Would like to know full formation/tactic detail if you can be arsed. Am dabbling with 4-4-2 diamond attacking/gegen first season championship after demolishing L1 and am now getting whooped.

Last edited:
You can't fault them for realism mind.

Would like to know full formation/tactic detail if you can be arsed. Am dabbling with 4-4-2 diamond attacking/gegen first season championship after demolishing L1 and am now getting whooped.

I use a flat 442 with the following roles

GK- Sweeper Keeper
RB- Wing Back- support
LB- Wing Back- support
CB- Ball Playing Defender- defend
CB- Ball Playing Defender- defend
RM- Winger- support
LM- Winger- support
RCM- Box to Box Midfielder- support
LCM- Deep Lying Playmaker- support
ST- Advanced forward
ST- Advanced Forward

General tactic is to get the ball in behind quickly for the two advanced forwards to run on to. Fullbacks are also very high and there is a high press. Pace is very important for the fullbacks, wingers and strikers.

Back