Football Manager 2020

It's really slow imo. I like to have a few countries in (England, Scotland, Italy and Spain at present) with small database but fuck me, it keeps going to the home page every day, sometimes a few times a day (if there aren't any messages I have to respond to I'd much rather it just kept going) and it seems to take about ten minutes between matches (it's probably 3 or 4 but feels like ages).

I tried being Sunderland, got sacked in my first season as, realistically enough, none of my f***ing strikers could score a goal! A couple of things irritated me. Firstly, my finances were fucked, there was a fair bit in the bank but we were just losing money every week. I clicked the finances option and in income there weren't any solidarity payments, is that not where they should have been putting our last parachute payments (which I believe are paid monthly)?

Then, when I was sacked I had a really good relationship with the players, but when I applied for a new job I had an interview question saying they were worried about the bad relationship I had with the players at the last club.

What is the touch version like, is it a lot quicker? I can happily lose daft things like team talks. I remember the good old days of CM 0102 and the likes. Me and a mate would have a team each, do all the transfers and stuff, and after about 5 hours of playing we'd have finished a season. When I come in knackered from work I can't really be arsed sitting for 4 evenings only to be in March and get sacked, seems a waste!
Aye FMT is much quicker like, definitely worth a try if you can’t be arsed with the full fat version.

I’ve started a new save with Sunderland just to get me started on this years before moving on to something else. Top of the table after 10 games - sold Grigg to get his wages off the bill, but couldn’t shift the likes of Leadbitter, Watmore or McGeady whose wages are ridiculous for this level.

Terminated De Bock and McNulty’s loans and brought in six loans from Premier League clubs including Rhian Brewster and Aaron Connolly who are far too good for this level.

What is the touch version like, is it a lot quicker? I can happily lose daft things like team talks. I remember the good old days of CM 0102 and the likes. Me and a mate would have a team each, do all the transfers and stuff, and after about 5 hours of playing we'd have finished a season. When I come in knackered from work I can't really be arsed sitting for 4 evenings only to be in March and get sacked, seems a waste!
I've attempted previous versions of FM but just couldnt get into it as there just seemed to be way too much to sort out before even getting into a game. I still play cm01/02 as its not as time consuming. Might try the touch version to see if thats any better.

I've attempted previous versions of FM but just couldnt get into it as there just seemed to be way too much to sort out before even getting into a game. I still play cm01/02 as its not as time consuming. Might try the touch version to see if thats any better.

Aye, and some of the stuff that takes time like press conferences and the likes sound decent but they are incredibly repetitive and don't actually add anything. Seems like it's got so bogged down in stats and tactics that it takes ages to run even on a decent PC. Maybe people at university or whatever might be able to find the time to dedicate to it (because most younger lads are probably more into FIFA, certainly our lad has no interest in FM and neither do any of his mates) but when you're working, you've got kids etc you're lucky if you can play 5 or 6 hours a week, so it's a pain in the arse when that maybe gets you to November!

Aye, and some of the stuff that takes time like press conferences and the likes sound decent but they are incredibly repetitive and don't actually add anything. Seems like it's got so bogged down in stats and tactics that it takes ages to run even on a decent PC. Maybe people at university or whatever might be able to find the time to dedicate to it (because most younger lads are probably more into FIFA, certainly our lad has no interest in FM and neither do any of his mates) but when you're working, you've got kids etc you're lucky if you can play 5 or 6 hours a week, so it's a pain in the arse when that maybe gets you to November!
TBH i'm still playing cm01/02 - theres a very active modding community who are still doing data updates - I'm planning on installing the october 2019 data update tonight and will start a new game. Theres some decent patches around that will enable some newer features on it as well so i'll be giving that a go as well.

I work shifts so cm01/02 is perfect for night shifts when i'm working from home. Might just stick with that.

It's really slow imo. I like to have a few countries in (England, Scotland, Italy and Spain at present) with small database but fuck me, it keeps going to the home page every day, sometimes a few times a day (if there aren't any messages I have to respond to I'd much rather it just kept going) and it seems to take about ten minutes between matches (it's probably 3 or 4 but feels like ages).

I tried being Sunderland, got sacked in my first season as, realistically enough, none of my f***ing strikers could score a goal! A couple of things irritated me. Firstly, my finances were fucked, there was a fair bit in the bank but we were just losing money every week. I clicked the finances option and in income there weren't any solidarity payments, is that not where they should have been putting our last parachute payments (which I believe are paid monthly)?

Then, when I was sacked I had a really good relationship with the players, but when I applied for a new job I had an interview question saying they were worried about the bad relationship I had with the players at the last club.

It does seem a touch slower to me although not by a great deal. I have a lot of the countries with large database and it means about 6 hours per season maybe? 10 minutes between games seems excessive, especially if there is only a week between and nothing much is going on, I imagine I could rush it to about 2 mins?

The finances are fucked to be fair, in league 1 we lose around 3-4m per season and when in the championship we lose around 8m per season. I think that is a pretty realistic look into the clubs reality and the only way out of it is to buy to sell. I didn't look specifically into the parachute payments, as we started off with 12m, I had assumed it had been incorporated as I believe its a lump rather than monthly?

There are bugs where it struggles to catch up with the new stuff that it has incorporated, It will be interesting to see if they can fix them but the ones I have encountered can be glossed over if not a bit annoying. For example, the clubs vision in the first season in the championship was to avoid a relegation fight but because we came 11th or something, it reconfigured the next season to playoffs despite being about 18th on wages paid.

I've never played the touch version, I like the detail. Think it would be a bit annoying to be 2 or 3 seasons in and then not be able to revert to the full game. I think if you don't want to be sacked then perhaps try a downloaded tactic if that isn't what you enjoy doing, it should steer you clear to allow for a more concentrated effort on things that you do?

For whatever reason, I'm really enjoying this year and found the finances very interesting. Had we not been promoted unexpectantly, It would have been incredibly difficult to sell a player for 8 million pounds every season just to keep afloat. Having to rely upon free transferred kids from premier league teams did bring a lot of added difficulty.

I'm my 6th season now and look good for a go at prem top half.

I just tend to holiday in between games to speed the game up to be honest. There’s so much unnecessary clicking between screens if not, and given my laptop isn’t particularly quick it definitely lets me progress a lot quicker through the game.

TBH i'm still playing cm01/02 - theres a very active modding community who are still doing data updates - I'm planning on installing the october 2019 data update tonight and will start a new game. Theres some decent patches around that will enable some newer features on it as well so i'll be giving that a go as well.

I work shifts so cm01/02 is perfect for night shifts when i'm working from home. Might just stick with that.
Those patches to bring it all up-to-date are class like. I've lost a ridiculous amount of time to the October update since figuring out how to get it running on my phone as well :D

I've just started a season with Sunderland, I've got Brewster in on loan from Liverpool, signed Jedinak on a free (his wages aren't too bad) and brought in some promising young lad from Scotland at left back.

I did well in pre-season, Brewster looks decent at this level, but then lost to Oxford 1-0 in the first game of the season after dominating them they scored a worldy from nowhere. I'm using 4-2-3-1 at the moment but having read this, I'm just going to go for an old school attacking 4-4-2 tonight I think

Flying in this like, top of the league, yet to concede a goal, only game I haven't won is a nil nil draw where we had ten men from ten minutes in. Only brought in Maddison and some young striker from Southampton on loan. Playing 4231 gegenpress

Promoted as champions :cool: Any of you signed Luke Matheson from Rochdale ? Picked him up there for £375k rising to £700k looks a real talent at 17yr old

Promoted as champions :cool: Any of you signed Luke Matheson from Rochdale ? Picked him up there for £375k rising to £700k looks a real talent at 17yr old

Aye I pissed League 1 with 101 points. Really struggling to make any significant recruitment in my second year, sitting 14th after 6 games.

What do people do when it comes to players individual roles? I always go through and play them in their best roles but this probably unbalance my tactics massively.

Aye I pissed League 1 with 101 points. Really struggling to make any significant recruitment in my second year, sitting 14th after 6 games.
Pellegri from Monaco will come on loan :cool:

I've picked up some bargains too

Kieran O'Hara - 100k (Man Utd)
Scott Banks 100k (18yr old winger Dundee Utd looks promising)
Kevin Kraus - 300k (Kaiserslautern)
Rob Dickie 300k (Oxford)
De Bock - 200k (Leeds)
Michael Duffy 180k (Dundalk)
Eddie Brown - 72k (Bolton)
Marcus Henriksen - Free
Ben Sheaf - Free
Fran Feuillassier - Free (Franchu on previous FMs ?)

Can't give away Leadbitter or McGeady like :evil:

What do people do when it comes to players individual roles? I always go through and play them in their best roles but this probably unbalance my tactics massively.

I tend to pick my starter tactic based on what i've got in the squad. Then adapt it to make that work, then buy players or retrain to fit the system.

I think you are better to have someone playing a slightly unfamiliar role than a tactic that doesn't work.
Pellegri from Monaco will come on loan :cool:

I've picked up some bargains too

Kieran O'Hara - 100k (Man Utd)
Scott Banks 100k (18yr old winger Dundee Utd looks promising)
Kevin Kraus - 300k (Kaiserslautern)
Rob Dickie 300k (Oxford)
De Bock - 200k (Leeds)
Michael Duffy 180k (Dundalk)
Eddie Brown - 72k (Bolton)
Marcus Henriksen - Free
Ben Sheaf - Free
Fran Feuillassier - Free (Franchu on previous FMs ?)

Can't give away Leadbitter or McGeady like :evil:

Pellegri is a decent shout like. I'll have a look in January, I've got Rhian Brewster back for a second spell and he's playing better in the championship than he did in league one.

I've gone heavy on trying to bring in some younger players that may blossom into decent top end champ/bottom of prem players for free. This was my summer transfer dealings -

Logon or register to see this image

Not sure why it isn't showing on this years, but I had Rhian Brewster on loan and a left back from Man Utd called Williams who I've kept on for another year.

Last edited:
Signed Maddison and Brewster off the back of reading this thread. The pair of them have been f***ing awful

Somehow 8 points clear at the top of League 1 in mid-November in spite of the fact that all 4 of my strikers (Brewster and the other 3 knackers) have only got 5 goals between them and the wingers are all in dreadful form. Leadbitter seems to score a thunderbolt every single week :lol:

Last edited:
Bali Mumba sold to Leicester behind my back for £5.5m by SD the bellend
Signed Maddison and Brewster off the back of reading this thread. The pair of them have been f***ing awful

Somehow 8 points clear at the top of League 1 in mid-November in spite of the fact that all 4 of my strikers (Brewster and the other 3 knackers) have only got 5 goals between them and the wingers are all in dreadful form. Leadbitter seems to score a thunderbolt every single week :lol:
11 goals and 11 assists in L1 for me hes got 3 goals and 10 assists so far in the championship think it might be your tactics mate ;)

Last edited:
Bolton have a few decent youngsters who you can get for fairly cheap. Adam Senior has good potential but never got to use him as I got sacked by Donald.
Doing a league with Gateshead where the aim was to fight hard to survive 1st season. Ended up as champions and currently in the top 6 in the next season

Finished 10th first season back in the Championship W16 D15 L15 Pts 63

Was starting to think I was Jack Ross with the amount of draws we were getting :lol: Stand out performers Pietro Pellegri 15 goals in 33 and Marcus Maddison 9 goals and 14 assists.
Not expecting much of a warchest the season coming up the clubs finances aren't great atm -£4m in the red and %5 of transfer revenue made available as things stand :eek::lol:

Bristol Rovers are the surprise package on my save promoted with us and finished 6th in the championship their squad is shite too :eek:

Back