Football Manager 2020 Free!!

No idea mate. I've been digital only of pc for years. I think the last one I bought had a disc but all it had in it was an installer and the actual game was downloaded once you set it away.
Fm has been a box with a code n for a good while. I bought FM17 from Argos and it just had a code in it. Bit pointless really

On sale now if anyone is interested, 30% off I think it is.

Anyone still playing since the free weekend? I literally haven't rebooted my laptop, so its still running ever since, for free!
Aside from getting sacked in my first try and then restarting now that I know roughly what I'm doing, I'm in my 3rd season having won the league and daft cup in season 1, and then finished 7th in the champ - hoping to get promoted this season, although I'm a couple of players short.
I'm a proper Redknapp wheeler dealer mind :lol:

Just been trying to figure out how to change the tactic roles that my U23/U18 use - as it could be better (such as someone playing as a winger rather than an inverted winger), but seems there's no option to do this???
Also realised that loads of my staff responsibilities are totally screwed up - I guess from getting rid of all my staff and replacing them - one fitness coach was doing alsorts of stuff!
I did wonder why my youth sides were doing so badly all the time :lol:

Last edited:

Anyone still playing since the free weekend? I literally haven't rebooted my laptop, so its still running ever since, for free!
Aside from getting sacked in my first try and then restarting now that I know roughly what I'm doing, I'm in my 3rd season having won the league and daft cup in season 1, and then finished 7th in the champ - hoping to get promoted this season, although I'm a couple of players short.

Just been trying to figure out how to change the tactic roles that my U23/U18 use - as it could be better (such as someone playing as a winger rather than an inverted winger), but seems there's no option to do this???
Also realised that loads of my staff responsibilities are totally screwed up - I guess from getting rid of all my staff and replacing them - one fitness coach was doing alsorts of stuff!

I am now in Season 5. I went up as champions in league one. My first season in the championship was a mid table finish then I went up via the play offs the next season. I only lasted one season in the Premier league and I am not back in the championship but the finances at the club are excellent and I have a good young squad so hoping to go straight back up and have a better crack at it next time.

So can you get and play it on an iPhone?
If so, is it the same as the PC version?
I haven’t played it since the mid 00’s, but it could pass some time.

So can you get and play it on an iPhone?
If so, is it the same as the PC version?
I haven’t played it since the mid 00’s, but it could pass some time.
There are 2 phone versions I think - a "mini" game for about a fiver, and a decent version of the main game for about £15. All separate to the main PC version though. Even though they do a "touch" version for Windows, which is yet another version that isn't compatible with the others.

I am now in Season 5. I went up as champions in league one. My first season in the championship was a mid table finish then I went up via the play offs the next season. I only lasted one season in the Premier league and I am not back in the championship but the finances at the club are excellent and I have a good young squad so hoping to go straight back up and have a better crack at it next time.
#CiroDiMarzioIn

Peaked with Champ Man 99/00 and has became more and more bogged down ever since. It is more like a weird role playing game now.

It is meant to be fun, not a real bloody job!
01/02 was very good, then 03/04 was too - then I lost interest - until now. I'm really enjoying this new one, I'm absolutely hooked - after 15 years not touching it

01/02 was very good, then 03/04 was too - then I lost interest - until now. I'm really enjoying this new one, I'm absolutely hooked - after 15 years not touching it
Yeah 01/02 is the connoisseur’s favourite. I think you can download that game for free and fans have updated all the stats to the current season - shows how good it is!

Yeah 01/02 is the connoisseur’s favourite. I think you can download that game for free and fans have updated all the stats to the current season - shows how good it is!
Oh yeah, champman0102.co.uk I think it is. There was a guy who wrote some extra patches to fix some problems in the game, and they also update the game calendar so it actually starts "now" and so everyone's ages are right etc for the very impressive player databases they keep up to date.

Problem is, there's a massive flaw in the tactics engine, and once you know it, its almost impossible not to abuse it. You can literally win everything with "grey" players if you have the right formation/tactic applied. It totally ruins the game.

Oh yeah, champman0102.co.uk I think it is. There was a guy who wrote some extra patches to fix some problems in the game, and they also update the game calendar so it actually starts "now" and so everyone's ages are right etc for the very impressive player databases they keep up to date.

Problem is, there's a massive flaw in the tactics engine, and once you know it, its almost impossible not to abuse it. You can literally win everything with "grey" players if you have the right formation/tactic applied. It totally ruins the game.
Ho ho - cheat tactics are a feature, not a bug ;)

Upon research, apparently the 'flaw' was something that was making it more akin to a real simulation, but it made the player too powerful!

"Focussing on the word "simulator", FM is not and never has been this and can never be until with ball / without ball tactical planning is possible. We all know that is how real football managers set up their tactics but since the CM0102 wib wob option was decreed to be just an "exploit" it has vanished without trace. I never found it a particularly exploitable device, arrows should be the same and maybe there is even an argument for sliders but instead of making these realistic "tools" work they have just been removed (I believe sliders have gone this year?). Chalkboards with runs, feeds and player positioning zones (areas players are encouraged to stick to but not at all with glass walls) are the way forward. Alas, over 10 years since these ideas were first trialled they have just been discarded. Shame."

Last edited:
Upon research, apparently the 'flaw' was something that was making it more akin to a real simulation, but it made the player too powerful!

"Focussing on the word "simulator", FM is not and never has been this and can never be until with ball / without ball tactical planning is possible. We all know that is how real football managers set up their tactics but since the CM0102 wib wob option was decreed to be just an "exploit" it has vanished without trace. I never found it a particularly exploitable device, arrows should be the same and maybe there is even an argument for sliders but instead of making these realistic "tools" work they have just been removed (I believe sliders have gone this year?). Chalkboards with runs, feeds and player positioning zones (areas players are encouraged to stick to but not at all with glass walls) are the way forward. Alas, over 10 years since these ideas were first trialled they have just been discarded. Shame."

Ah no, not wibble/wobble - that was a very long-standing argument.

This is a very simple bug in the game that makes you win almost every game by miles. Go on their forum and they run tactics for 1000's of games and see the results of minor tweaks - they run leaderboards of what the best tactics are. Oh actually, don't and never ruin the game for yourself.
Thanks. Gone to £22 now, but topcashback of 8% for new customers....

I can finally reboot my laptop now!

Last edited:

What’s the tactic?

What’s the tactic?
Its not one tactic,its an (or more than one really) exploit of the engine that people bake into various tactics.
I won't ruin it for you, but it's freely discussed on their forums

Edit: tbh, I can't quite remember what it is. Something about an AM pushing forwards IIRC

Any tips/advice on team, tactics, signings, etc... for SAFC (on FM20 Mobile)?
It’s been years since I played it, and I’ve only managed to win 1 game in the first 10, scoring hardly any goals!

Back